main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could change 3 things about TPM.....

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Slayyyyyy, Feb 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlecGuinnessBeer

AlecGuinnessBeer Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2004
    (1) Have Lawrence Kasdan write the screenplay

(2) Have Irvin Kershner direct

Don't need another one. Those two would about cover everything.

2. TheBespinIceCreamGuy

TheBespinIceCreamGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2003
    I would change nothing it's absolutley perfect

3. BlackPool

BlackPool Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 29, 2000
    Just three huh? Ok,

1. More imaginative vehciles and less earthlike environments a la Naboo.

2. Get some other kid to play Anakin who has a better sense of timing, and have the character be more even tempered and less winey.

3. This would be the usual Obi-Wan as Yoda's aprentice; Qui-Gon is his good friend not master, and have Obi-Wan find Anakin complaint.

P

4. MyEternalRest

MyEternalRest Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 24, 2002
    Have Irvin Kershner direct

Yes, a dark first act would be perfect. [face_plain]

5. The_SkyWolves

The_SkyWolves Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    Hmmmmm.....

Let's see.....

First, I think the TIMING is perfect as far as Anakin's age, but I would definitely change his TONE. I've known lots of nine-year-olds who would NEVER say "Yippee!!" Change that to "Phew!" or the like. And tone down his shouts in the Battle of N. Why? Because he's a slave, dangit! He has had a hard life! Hard life = tiredness of hard life.
    But I wouldn't change "mom" to "mother," because it's a totally different situation than Luke and Leia. Luke never knew either parent. Of course he would refer to them as "father" and "mother."

Then, I would reduce the amount of color in the film DRASTICALLY. Color referring to both the literal sense, and the sense of brightness the entire film projects. I would get rid of Fode-and-blasted'-Beed, and get rid of "Excueeze-mesa!" Perhaps keep the Gungan pidgin, but tone it down a little- or make it even more distinct, with more language-like differences in their dialect. And then, the eopie fart was TOTALLY gratuitous. Unnecessary to the MAX. You don't hear Jabba fart, do you?

I wouldn't change screentime for anyone but Jar Jar. I don't dislike him, but it was completely useless to have him do that stupid grin when Qui-Gon wins the dice roll. I would lower his voice, though. It's too high-pitched to take seriously in most instances.

Other than those points, I wouldn't change it. However, it is my least favorite of ALL of them.

6. Panesar

Panesar Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2004
    Well...in my opinion, TPM was great...but a little too politcal.
    1) I shorten those nasty scenes with the politics. (A little bit off topic but same goes for AOTC)

2) I would have made Sanetor/Chancellor Palpitine's name different. This becasue come Episode 3, we would be shocked to hear the Chancllor is the Emperor.

3) Anakin would have to have some major relationship with Obi-Wan during the film. Prepherably, Obi-Wan watching Anakin win the pod race. This will justify "Your father was already a great pilot"

7. JediWithoutACause

JediWithoutACause Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2001
    interesting thread. i love tPM, but ive often pondered if some different things wouldve worked better, for example...

1. obi-wan. there's no point in him being a padawan learner in ep1. espcecially since hes kinda old already. we cant have the impression that one of the jedi's finest was a slow learner! besides, we get to see anakin living the padawan life in ep2. so let's make obi-wan a bonafide jedi knight, with qui-gon as a trusted, older 'partner' who has also served as a mentor/father thru their many adventures. and eventhough qui-gon discovers anakin, obi-wan is the one who decides to train him. the blame is squarely on his shoulders, no dying wish from qui-gon. obi-wan decides to take on the boy as his first padawan, in essence 'inheriting' anakin from qui-gon.

2. aliens. i dont really like how the trade federation was concieved. look AND concept. shouldnt it be more like a government agency than a race of aliens? i mean, the TF is only made of up neumodians(SP). i wanna see a TF that is diverse in makeup. corruption shouldnt be limited to one species. gungans. i like how they look and i like how GL was trying to protray them. but he shouldve been thinking native-american indians... primitive, but proud, spiritual, & FIERCE!

3. naboo. ive never liked the idea of naboo's 'government.' make it so that naboo is a true monarchy, with bloodlines determining royality. this will add some real-world implications, and hopefully explain why naboo has a 14 yr old queen. ep2 can still work if it is mentioned that palpatine specifically requested for padme to take up his old chair in the senate, relinquishing her throne to the next nabberrie-in-line. also, the whole blockade crisis could use some more urgency. 'the ppl are in camps' excuse just doesnt fly very well without images.

there you have it! those 3 simple changes will indeed make tPM a much stronger movie. the plot works, settings work, CGI-related stuff was excellent. the details just needed some ironing out. yes... a 10 yr old anakin who is too 'normal' works... annoying jar jar works... and a mute darth maul was perfect!!!

8. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    Here's mine:
    1. First and foremost, have Keira Knightley play Padme. I'm sorry, but I can't stand Portman. Hell, I would have been okay with just about anyone else, probably even a guy! :D
    2. Have Jar Jar act more mature. He can still be a clumsy oaf, just as mature as he seems in AotC.
    3. Make Anakin 12. IMO, 12 is the maximum age he can be to still be very emotionally tied to his mother. IMO 13 years-old is when kids start to distant themselves from their parents.

9. PuccaKenobi

PuccaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2004
    No Jar Jar.. I cant watch it without cringing every time.
    A better actor to play young Anakin.. someone more dramatic and not saying Yipee!
    No virgin birth
    More Maul time
    Longer lightsaber duel
    Shorter Pod race..

ok, that was more than 3

10. Base_Delta_Zero

Base_Delta_Zero Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2004
    1) I'm OK with the concept of Darth Maul getting killed. We have to establish that not only is Obi-Wan a wise master in the PT, but that he could concievably kick Darth Vader's ass in Ep. 3. Taking down Maul is key to this. However, there's absolutely no excuse for the swinging lightsaber making sparks crap and then being caught flat-footed and cut in half ridiculousness after his amazing display of swordsmanship thus far.

I say, give Obi-Wan a little more character by continuing his rage-filled attack and flirting with the Dark Side. Then end the OB1 beserker barrage with him cutting down Maul in anger. Only Qui-Gon is aware of what happens and Obi-Wan hides the truth from the Jedi council. Then we have TWO characters, both with some big problems, one training the other, until they finally collide in Ep. III. Obi-Wan redeems himself for his failure during the Duel of the Fates and Anakin falls to the Dark Side. We get all kinds of delicious parallels with and allusions to the other pinnacle saber duels of the saga as a whole. Perfect.

2) The midi's and Virgin Birth are a major sore spot, especially so when used as a plot contrivance only to showcase just how amazing Anakin is. The idea here is SHOW, not TELL. The audience is not filled with morons. We can pretty much figure out Anakin is the real deal from the podrace, if not the orbital engagement at the Battle of Naboo. There's no need to undermine the mysticism and allure of the OT Force with Star Trek technobabble. Doubly, the Chosen One crap has been done to death. If the OT could become what it has without any mention whatsoever of 'balance,' a 'prophecy' or the 'Chosen One,' then the PT could have, too.

3) Since there's a '3' requirement, I'll limit myself to just one more. Following on showcasing Anakin's talent in the Force and not telling us about it comes not UNDERMINING it. The manner in which Anakin participated in the final battle sequences was not only poor character developement (as in character regression), but embarassing. Anakin goes from supernatural podracing skill to imbecilic wanderings and lucky happenstance.

Don't show the audience your hero has amazing abilities at the movie's beginning, then take those abilities away at the end just because you think it would be 'funny' if the hero was strilo edit: That's a bit too graphic... while the rest of the Naboo fighter pilots are getting torn to pieces and the Gugans (whom I've mercifully left alone) are being ground under on the surface. Either R2-D2 should have taken over and kicked TF butt, or Anakin should have gotten his **** together and saved the day hero-style.

I'll leave the TF shield grid, hangar arrangement, vital system exposure and general 'incompetence breeds audience contempt, not fear' presentation for a later post.

11. cooker

cooker Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 8, 2004
    1. Alter Boss Nass: He didn't even look Gungun without the eyestalks, and his robe looked like crap. Worst-looking CGI character in an otherwise excellent CGI cast.

2. Make Anakin more of a pilot: I never thought of pod-racing as 'piloting'. Maybe he could fly Watto around in an airspeeder to Anchorhead or Mos Eisley, making shipments, etc.

3. Alter the Yoda puppet: I saw a picture of the ESB Yoda next to the TPM Yoda, and the difference was alarming. I realize he'd been through some hard times in the intervening years, but it looked like a different member of Yoda's species.

12. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    2. Make Anakin more of a pilot: I never thought of pod-racing as 'piloting'.

*high-fives Cooker*

13. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    1. No Jar Jar

2. Give Darth Maul more lines and a bigger role

3. Show more of Obi-Wan and Anikain together

14. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    1. Instead of editing the "Duel of the Fates" score around the battle sequence, have the battle sequence edited around the "Duel of the Fates" score.

2. Have Shmi die in Episode I so as to legitimize any Dark tendencies in Anakin by Episode II.

3. Have Obi-wan be the master and Qui-gon be the young apprentice.

15. ZIG

ZIG Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2004
    1. As in an early version of the script, have Obi-Wan in focus more (Make him the one who speaks to watto etc, and have Qui Gonn stay on the ship instead of Ob1).

2. Cut out a lot of Jar Jar's antics: eg, the fart joke, and stuffing around during the end battle etc.

3. Like other people have said, have an older Anakin who doesn't do things by accident and say a lot of stupid things like, "Hey, this is tense," or "Yipeee!"

Damn, I have a fourth one, sorry:

4. Focus more on Palpatine's plot and have more scenes with Maul.

I would rather find out about the bad guy's big plot than watch Anakin chat to his friends etc.

That's all. Still a great film anyway!

16. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    1. Older Anakin.
    2. Older Anakin.
    3. Older Anakin.
    ;)

OK, let's try seriously:

2. more Maul (let him speak): for ex. personally I'd make him the only main villain and the only Sith appearing on-screen, giving him most of Sidious dialogue; Sidious might have been only mentioned within some dialogue between Maul and Neimoidians, like Emperor in ANH; I think it would make this film more compact, would add more consistency and mystery;

3. I'd like the Gungan battle to look not so cartoonish (or reduce its length to just few shots establishing what's going on; the saved screentime might be used to extend the space battle).

17. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    One thing that I (and I'm sure many others) thought of was to have Darth Maul kill Qui Gonn at the beginning of the film, leaving Obi Wan in a desperate situation to help the queen on his own and also discover Anakin.

Additionally, it would add drama to the duel at the end. Who is this villain that killed Obi Wan's master? How can the learner defeat the bad guy if his master didn't succeed? Instead of trying to cram all of that drama at the end, build it up. It would feel less flashy and stylistic. There would be real weight to the duel.

Maybe we could even see Obi Wan become so obsessed with finding Darth Maul that he resorts to "reckless" (see ESB) behavior that endangers the queen and hinders her goal of getting rid of the Trade Federation. He could go against the Jedi council, the Jedi code, and almost give in to the dark side to avenge Qui Gonn. A Padawan without guidance for the first time. It would help with showing a more natural progression to the wise man of ANH who learned from the mistakes of his youth.

Just an idea.

18. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

1. Get rid of Jar-Jar Binks
    2. Get rid of Natalie Portman
    3. More lines and scenes to Darth Maul

19. Shiro

Shiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2004
    3 things to change in TPM eh, well thats easy.

1.Less Jar Jar
    2.Make an older, more mature actor play Anakin
    3.Make Darth Maul more of a central villian and give him more lines.

I just had to make a 4...

4. And put in more cool lightsaber battles with jedi vs. sith(no more of this jedi vs. cgi droids stuff).
    I know my fourth one wouldnt fit to well into the movie but whatever.

EDIT: Oh and I want to add another thing that always bothered me.

5.Remove the stupid Midichlorians thing, it contradicts whats been said about the Force in the original trilogy.

20. Darth_Duby

Darth_Duby Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2004
    i know im a little late but...

more cowbell [face_laugh]

besides the obvious^

1. get rid of the childish humor. that means gungans act more mature, no fart jokes, no yippie!

2. make anakin a little older, at least padme's age. this would make the relationship more believable plus there could be more of a setup for their love in AotC.

3. make more of a connection between obi and anakin. unless anaking mentions a connection to QGJ in ep 3, i think it was pointless to have him doing all the work on tatooine.

-duby

21. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    1. A few more first person shots and close-up shots. But not overkill like in LotR.

2. Replace Obi-Wan with Qui-Gon. I used to disagree with this, but the more I hear about Episode III, the more I like this idea.

3. A more intense space battle. In the movie, it's kind of a mess. There's a lot going on and it becomes hard to follow. Anakin should have a more clear mission when he gets up there and she talk less.

Other stuff that would be nice:

How about give Anakin a costume change when he gets to Coruscant? Something like this only navy blue with gold buttons (think Count Dooku concept art): [image=http://galaxis.starwars.hu/ep3/kepek/bail_birodalmi.jpg] Also change his hairstyle to look similar to how in is in the concept art. That was badass.

Also, have Jar-Jar act like a serious warrior in battle. It was wee bit much having him goof off while his comrades are dying.

That's it. Just to clarify, I love Episode I.

22. thesuperstarwarsfan

thesuperstarwarsfan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 21, 2004
    3 only, fine.

1. Qui-Gon doesn't save Jar Jar and Jar Jar dies.
    2. Qui-Gon lives and takes on both Obi-Wan and Anakin as his apprentices, much to the council's dismay.
    3. No Amadala pretending to be Padme.

23. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004

1. Excessive and choppy editing.
    2. Improved antagonist development - across the board.
    3. Let ObiWan witness the podrace and admire Anakin's skills.

24. han_solo_321

han_solo_321 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    1. Make Jar Jar a Serious Person.

2. Put more of Anakin and Obi Wan just talking.

3. Anakin would be better as a 13 year old and less of that annoying little kid stuff.

25. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    These have probably all been suggested, but maybe
    not all in the same post! ;)

1. Change Jar Jar into a thief on the run who slowly
    finds some redemption along the way. He could have
    underworld connections that prove useful. Sort of
    a cross between Han and Lando, only not as handsome
    and smooth.

2. Make Anakin 15 and start the romance between
    he and Padme right away. It would just be flirty,
    but it would make the jump from 'Aint seen ya in
    ten years, Anakin!' to 'lets get married' a
    lot smoother in AOTC.

3. Put more emphasis on Darth Maul. He's such
    an awsome villian. He should have had at least
    as much screen time as say Vader did in ANH.

Honorable mention goes to less CG and more practicle
    sets. The people at ILM are the best, but the more
    reality you have in your shot the better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.