main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMaul13, Jun 29, 2002.

?

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Greedo shooting first

45.2%
  2. Jabba sequence in ANH

5.5%
  3. Luke's cowardly scream down Bespin shaft

16.1%
  4. Darth Vader's "alert my star destroyer..." line

4.1%
  5. Jedi Rocks in Jabba's Palace

8.9%
  6. Ending of ROTJ

3.8%
  7. Get rid of all the SE changes!

16.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boushh2187

boushh2187 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 1999
    All of them, even though I don't mind the ending to RotJ too much. All the rest of the listed changes are just horrible. The only that I would keep would be the touching up of the film and the original FX and the remixing.

2. Faux-Jedi

Faux-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    God, this is a tough one but I guess I?ll have to go along with the consensus. Greedo shooting first has got to be the worst mistake in the entire SE. Not only does this ?seemingly? simple act castrate Han Solo; it also doesn?t make a lick of sense. If Greedo makes his living as a bounty hunter, one must assume that he would have to be a relatively good shot. However, he MISSES!! He?s sitting across the table, he?s already got his weapon aimed, and he misses. Give me a bloody break.

3. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    up, BABY, up!

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I would get rid of everything in the poll except for the new RotJ ending. I would also get rid of the new Mos Eisley footage in ANH and the scene of Vader arriving on the Executor in ESB.

5. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
  6. Minigo Varay

Minigo Varay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2000
    I would get rid of all the SE changes listed in the poll.

The end of ROTJ is beutiful but the Yub Yub song is brilliant and I miss it terribly so....I would rather have Yub Yub.

I also don't like the take away of the Luke-line: "You're lucky you don't taste very good" in TESB.

They should also skip the scene where Vader comes onboard the Star Destroyer in the end of TESB.

Lucas should also:

1) Replace TPM Yoda and the AOTC Yoda with the muppet used in the OT
    2) Replace ANH Jabba with TPM Jabba or skip the Jabba scene all together would be best
    3) Replace TESB Sidious with ROTJ Sidious

Fix all minor FX in OT:

1) Bad lightsabres in ANH (in some places)
    2) Matte Lines around Rancor
    3) Change Tractor Beam writing to Aubesh in ANH

Fix all minor FX in PT:

1) Bad Yoda in TPM and AOTC
    2) Replace the gungans with a not so silly race
    3) Let the Nemodians have their own language
    4) Remake the bad CGI monsters in the arena in AOTC
    5) Fix the pale bad looking lightsabres in the arena scene in AOTC
    6) Fix the plastic looking panels in Ani's pod
    7) Make the panels more like the OT throughout the PT

7. shocktrooper

shocktrooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    Well firstly I love the new ending on ROTJ
    It now seems an appropriate ending to the end of the Empire.(The New music is great)

I don't mind seeing Vader get on the shuttle in ESB. ( I always wondered what ship he used to go in)The Wampa can stay and Bespin walls can stay missing.

But get Rid of that AWEFUL Jabba in ANH or redo it to TPM standard.(I can't see the Jabba in ROTJ letting someone step on his tail.
    And make Han shoot first AGAIN!(It just created that old west dirty gun slinger feel about him)

8. YoungPadawanLearner

YoungPadawanLearner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2002
    Death To Luke's Scream!!!!!!!!!

9. Jedi76

Jedi76 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2002
    The only one that I am going to complain about is The Jedi Rocks Get rid of it thier is no Jedi in the scene and the song doesnot repeat doesnot Rock. Leave everything else or add the Empror from ROTJ other than that stop crying about how Lucas did his movies they are his not YOURS he can do whatever the hell he wants to with them

10. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I couldn't limit myself to removing only one...I hate the vast majority of them. I would get rid of these in this order of priority:

1. Greedo shooting first
    2. CGI Jabba in ANH
    3. "Jedi Rocks"
    4.. Luke's cowardly (Emperor's) scream in ESB...he's DEFINATLEY choosing to die, rather than join Vader...why scream?
    5. Silly bit in ANH:SE with the droid punching the other droid (Mos Eisley) unneccasry and unfunny slapstick)

SE stuff I would leave in:

Different ending to ROTJ
    Stormtroopers on Dewbacks

11. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Greedo shooting first, by far. It looks unbelievably crappy and fake. If you can't make it look at least semi-decent, IMHO, then don't even bother in the first place.

12. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I never really understood why GL needed to change that part. And I've heard many reasonings for it, but I would like to hear what GL's reasoning was behind that change. Instead of Han Solo being the gun-slinging hero (from the Westerns) who took out the bad guy, who would have killed him. Now it looks like Han knocked-off some incompotent nobody, who was in WAY over his head. There is talk that the change was made to make Han seem less "cold-blooded" about killing Greedo; but it did the exact opposite.

Jabba scene: I liked that GL was able to finish that scene. It adds something to the fact that Han is a wanted man, and therefore stays with the Rebellion because he has nowhere else to go.

Luke's scream: Like the greedo scene, this changes my understanding of what's going on...for the worse. Why is Luke screaming, after calmly looking down and at Vader just before he let go? Was he afraid to die, the thought of Vader being his father too much? It doesn't make sense. Without it, he's taking a "leap of faith," now it seems like he's wanting to die.

Vader's line: "Bring my ship" was a better line for Vader. He wouldn't spell everything out for his oficers and stormtroopers. Vader alway gave direct orders, without alot of talk. Seems like overkill.

Jedi Rocks!: I loved that addition, because the old music (while nice) is so dated in the 80's that it doesn't seem to belong in a SW universe. Anyone remember the cheesy disco music in every "Buck Rogers" and "Battlestar Galactica" episode :_| And Jabba wouldn't be the type to have some small cover-band playing a few tunes, he would go all out on the entertainment of his guests. It's Vegas baby, Vegas!

ROTJ Ending: Again, while I love "Yub, Yub" this addition makes the celebration more of a galactic event. The Empire had control over many worlds, and just showing the party on Endor almost seemed like nobody but the Rebels wanted the Empire gone; this showed that the whole universe was free!

13. Red-Talon

Red-Talon Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2002
    Close between Luke's scream and Greedo shooting first, I said Greedo.

I love the new music at the end of ROTJ, sure the Yub Yub song was great, but the new song has a real feel good tone to it, I love it.

14. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    Doesn't Greedo shoot first in the original version of ANH? Or they shoot both at the same time...which one was it?

And I never saw the RotJ se, and I only saw the ESB one in the theater, so I don't remember the girly scream...

Cometgreen

15. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Jedi Rocks! I hate that scene :p

16. Jedi15

Jedi15 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 7, 1999
    Greedo never fired at all in the original version. He was about to, but Han fried him right after saying, "Yes, I'll bet you have."

Why, why did Lucas have to mess with that scene? WHY???

17. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Wouldn't it be cool if someone had a petition going about Greedo shooting first? In their signature even, so all could see it?

Anyway, I have heard one explanation where Lucas claimed that Greedo was supposed to have sneezed in that part, accidentally shooting. Even if that were the case, how the hell did he miss?

One thing that also really bugs me that not many people have pointed out is the missing wolfman alien from the SE Mos Eisley scene. The story is that Lucas just picked up a Halloween wolf mask and some guy wore it for that scene. Apparently Lucas didn't like this so he took it out. It bothers me because I liked how it made you realize that Lucas used mostly found parts for props in the OT and now he's just too good for it or something.

18. Minigo Varay

Minigo Varay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2000
    "...Leave everything else or add the Empror from ROTJ other than that stop crying about how Lucas did his movies they are his not YOURS he can do whatever the hell he wants to with them.."

There's no logic in this statement. Why should we stop crying about how Lucas changes his movies if we don't like it? We have a right to an opinion don't we? Of course he has every right to change it, but maybe we don't like it.

If someone changes something you love dearly very much, OF COURSE you get dissapointed. The fact that this thing "belongs" to somebody else doesn't make any difference in this case.

You complain because the thing you loved has been changed for the worse. And of course you've got every right to do that.

If someone makes a crappy movie I have no right to complain about it because it's not my movie??!? Why?

19. Sith_241

Sith_241 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    The rotj ending. If you read the EU, youll notice that most people didnt even know the DS blew up and Palpy died. Many were lead to velieve that the rebels were defeated.

20. MeatSaber2000

MeatSaber2000 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2000
    I didn't see it mentioned, but there was a totally unnecessary change that should be reverted, also. When the swamp creature spits R2 out in Dagobah in ESB...Luke's line was "you are luck yyou don't taste very good." In the SE, he says "you were lucky to get out of there." Why change the line in the first place? Like Han would say, "put it back...NOW!!!" :D

21. Oo-ta_Goo-ta_Solo

Oo-ta_Goo-ta_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2001
    CG Jabba (ANH) and the dance number in Jabba's palace (ROTJ) are the two most egregious ones in my mind.

As excited as I am about the OT on DVD, I'm frightened as well.

22. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I'd get rid of the fans that would want to get of sences from SE.

23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    //tries to understand last post
    //fails miserably

24. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    When Greedo shoots: blink!

25. Maladour-Fei

Maladour-Fei Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    Three scenes if I could. Both the Jabba and Greedo scenes from ANH and the Jedi Rock music piece from ROTJ... I'd might concider getting Yub yub back in too... But if I only had one choice it would be Greedo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.