main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMaul13, Jun 29, 2002.

?

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Greedo shooting first

45.2%
  2. Jabba sequence in ANH

5.5%
  3. Luke's cowardly scream down Bespin shaft

16.1%
  4. Darth Vader's "alert my star destroyer..." line

4.1%
  5. Jedi Rocks in Jabba's Palace

8.9%
  6. Ending of ROTJ

3.8%
  7. Get rid of all the SE changes!

16.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    Ok, I would get rid of them all especally the Jabba Rocks part. I just think the original is better in that respect.
    The onley part I would not get rid of would be the "Prepare my ship" part.
    I would like to clear up that this by far enhaces Vader's character by showing that his son just "died" or he thouht so.

Just my 2 cents,
    Capt_Piett

2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
  3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    I think he means, the old verison (pre-SE) it might SEEM like Vader just think Luke fell to his death on the gantry. Am I right?

I don't how changing the line from "Bring my shuttle." changes the meaning though. I always assumed that Vader still knew Luke was alive, THAT'S WHY he was calling for his shuttle, to track him down.

Also, the scene of Vader actually landing in the Star Destroyer bay is so useless. Perhaps Lucas thought some people might have asked "how did he get up there so quick?" without this scene, but it never bothered me. Your mind logically fills in the fact that Vader reaches his shuttle before Luke and company get deep into space. The added scene of DV walking down the ramp is pointless, and you can tell it's another actor just by the way he walks. Small, nit-picky stuff...but if I didn't say it, I'd have NOTHING to say! :p

4. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    Well, the Greedo change in the SE has to be the dummest of them all. Just shows that GL comprimises his characters just so it looks like its a kiddie movie. Sheesh.

But yeah, all changes minus FX shots are dumb. I dont like Luke's scream in ESB. I dont like the new dance number in ROTJ...horrible! Jabba's addition in ANH is ok...Jabba himself just needs to be redone. What horrible FX!!! I also dont like how they cut away Luke's nod to the 3 spirits at the end of ROTJ when he leaves with Leia. Again...takes away from the character.

5. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    They cut the nod?!? Seriously, I've never noticed that. Have to watch the end of ROTJ:SE again. Why would he cut out such a minor bit like that?

It really seems there's NO logic to some of Lucas' edits with the SE's. Why take out the nod? And why cut Han's "Yes." in "Yes...I bet you have." These edits have absoultely no meaning. Weird.

6. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    I totally agree ferel.

I was and am still baffled by these changes.

Another one that really bugs me is Vader's "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival line". First...we obviously know from the shuttle scenes how he gets there so there is no need to explain it in detail. The audience isnt dumb GL!! Second, his original "Bring my Shuttle" line was so good cuz he was pissed and disappointed that he didnt capture Luke. It was to the point and made Vader seem more menacing. Another character point wasted thanks to Lucas.

7. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Also, good eye ferel!! I am impressed, I have talked to many people who are SW fans and they never realized that Luke nodded to the spirits. Something that I loved and now it is gone.

8. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Yeah, I remember the nod (I USED TO have the pre SE-VHS verison of Jedi) but, it dissapeared. :( However, I didn't notice it was cut out of the SE verison. (Fast-forwarding to the end right now!) That just seems like pointless editing. What does that add to or fix the scene? It doesn't.

Aint broke...don't fix! :D

9. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    I agree..aint broke, dont fix.

GL mentality...too much character, so I should change it cuz other directors/actors thought of this stuff which I didnt see the chracter doing myself. So it should be gone! ;)

10. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Jedi Rocks is only 4th? Blashphemy! I'll take 1,000 Greedos shooting first over Jedi Rocks any day.

There really aren't many changes I would ditch COMPLETELY...but I would make the changes better.

Things I'd get rid of completely:

- Jedi Rocks (I loved Laki Nek)
    - Greedo shooting first
    - Luke's scream (actually it doesn't really bother me, but I have to agree it's kind of silly)
    - Replacing some of the cantina patrons (bring back Lak Sivrak!)
    - "Alert my Star Destroyer"
    - "You're lucky you don't taste so good"
    - The sarlacc "beak". I seem to be the only one who thinks that thing looks really stupid.

Stuff to change:

- Keep Jabba, but get rid of that stupid tail-stepping scene. It makes not a wit of sense why Jabba would let something like that slide.
    - Keep the new footage at the end of ROTJ, but bring back Yub Yub! Not only does the new music sound like something Yanni would write, it doesn't gel with the end credits at all...the segue is really really harsh. Yub Yub's segue was silky smooth and beautiful.
    - Most of the Mos Eisley changes are great, but get rid of the slapstick (i.e. droids hitting each other and the Jawas riding the Ronto)
    - Keep "close the blast doors", but change the voice...it sounds very much like it was dubbed in. But maybe that's just me.

Stuff that can stay:

- Biggs in the hangar.
    - New sandcrawler/Obi-Wan's hovel shots
    - The dead end replaced by a room full of stormtroopers
    - All the changes at Yavin
    - The wampa
    - Opaque snowspeeders
    - Cloud City
    - The banthas in ROTJ
    - R2's panels being blue on the X-wing
    - Echoes on the Death Star
    - Stormtroopers and dewbacks
    - New Alderaan/Death Star explosions
    - Anything else I forgot

As for changes that still need to be made...

- ANH lightsabers are fine, but fix the shots when they're turned on/off. It's really sloppy, and the film jerks from the edit...not at all smooth like the other films. Also, it really bugs me during Obi-Wan's duel when he starts twirling the saber, and it hits these angles that make it look like the saber...disappeared. It's like he's holding a pen-light...really silly looking. Fix it.
    - Fix the "screen shakes" when the TIE Fighters attack the Falcon. It's obvious it's just the camera moving, not the sets.
    - A small handful of explosions could be cleaned up, but it's not that important.
    - Clean up the matte lines on the rancor...it's really strange that Hoth is bright white and in the middle of the day, yet there are no matte lines...the rancor is in a dark room, yet they're really obvious (especially the close-up of its leg)
    - Fix a couple other technical blunders, like Vader's gray saber after killing Obi-Wan and the Emperor's "slugs".
    - Replace the ESB Emperor.
    - MAYBE insert a cutaway to Alderaan to ANH.
    - Bring back all cut footage from all the movies...especially the Biggs footage. I love those scenes, though I may have to agree with Lucas that it ruins the pacing.

And that's it.

11. DARTHPHYSICIAN

DARTHPHYSICIAN Jedi Master star 1

Jan 8, 2002
    PUT BACK the original cut of Kenobi's house/hermitage shot on Jerba in Tunisia.

12. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    What still baffles me most about the SE's:

The things that were NOT changed!

13. DarthBane93

Jun 11, 1999
    Yeah!

Like the 2 bit graphic on the screen that they use to show the death star plans as they are downloading it from R2 on Yavin. Why did GL leave such a crappy FX shot??

14. Wesmin7

Wesmin7 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 29, 2001
    I think i would change the screaming. That is the only one that bothers me.

15. Minigo Varay

Minigo Varay Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2000
    ratmankey:

I had almost forgotten about the Sarlacc-beak. I totally agree with you. The beak is so ugly! I think Sarlacc is more menacing without it.

And the Biggs scene: I can't understand why they put that back. It makes no sense. If they were to have that scene why couldn't they put the other one (Luke talks to Biggs on Tatooine) in the SE too? Now with only the scene at the end it makes no sense...

I also agree with you about the Yub Yub. They could keep the song but have the new footage.

I never noticed that they had taken away Luke's nod at the spirits. Thanks for letting me know!

16. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The Biggs scene makes perfect sense. It's easy to understand that Biggs is an old friend of Luke's. He is even mentioned earlier in the movie. But the Biggs scene on Tatooine would not make sense in the context of the movie. Biggs leaving to join the Rebellion would be too close in the timeline to the Battle of Yavin.

17. Minigo Varay

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, maybe your right.

But the dialog between the other rebel pilot in that scene is a little goofy I think. First he really doubts Luke then suddenly he really believe in him....

18. TK10538

TK10538 Jedi Youngling

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with alot of the changes listed above.

I've got to nitpick one change I actually liked: The cross-world celebrations in ROTJ:SE.

I can understand celebrating on Endor....and maybe Bespin/Cloud City.

But seriously, Tatooine and of all places Coruscant?

Wasn't there still Imperial garrisons and bases on Tatooine? Did they just disappear?

Why would there be celebration allowed on Coruscant?

Wouldn't there be swarms of stormtroopers laying the Imperial Smackdown(TM) on the "celebrating" crowd? I saw only ONE stormtrooper, and he was crowd surfing. ;)

Sorry, I just don't buy it. I'd imagine there was still a sizable military presence on Coruscant.

Oh well, that's what I get for nitpicking.

19. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, I remember the nod (I USED TO have the pre SE-VHS verison of Jedi) but, it dissapeared. However, I didn't notice it was cut out of the SE verison. (Fast-forwarding to the end right now!) That just seems like pointless editing. What does that add to or fix the scene? It doesn't.

Here's how the action all went down:

TOKYOXTREME: "You set us up man. You lied to us. Why'd you do it man? Why'd you betray us? Tell me man, c'mon tell me, WHY'D YOU DO IT?"

DARTH LUCAS: [slowly turns to TOKYOXTREME, revealing an expression of utter contempt and scorn] "Because... I CAN!"

20. Minigo Varay

May 24, 2000
    Darth Lucas wants us all dead!

21. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    He's not after you at all! He's after someone named uh... CAMERON.

22. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    How would Greedo miss so bad from 5 feet away?

23. ferelwookie

Oct 4, 2001
    Uping this, just because I'm miss the polls! :_|

24. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Remove Greedo shooting first. How the hell could a bounty hunter miss at such close range?

25. Kizakh

Kizakh Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I'd change everything but the ROTJ end and the new Death Star/Alderaan explosions. The things that bug me most about the SEs:
    1. Greedo shooting first
    2. "Jedi Rocks"- bring back the funk of "Lapti Nek"!
    3. "You're lucky to get out of there" replacing "You're lucky you don't taste that good"
    4. They didn't fix the lightsabers in ANH
    5. ANH Jabba was okay, but could be redone with today's CG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.