main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthMaul13, Jun 29, 2002.

?

If you could get rid of one SE change, what would it be?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Greedo shooting first

45.2%
  2. Jabba sequence in ANH

5.5%
  3. Luke's cowardly scream down Bespin shaft

16.1%
  4. Darth Vader's "alert my star destroyer..." line

4.1%
  5. Jedi Rocks in Jabba's Palace

8.9%
  6. Ending of ROTJ

3.8%
  7. Get rid of all the SE changes!

16.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    I voted for all of it. The Jabba scene is the only part I really like. Greedo shooting first is stupid, and Luke screaming on his way down was unnecessary.

2. DanW381

DanW381 Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2002
    I voted for Greedo shooting first. I like seeing Han actually fire (I haven't seen the original version in a while, but if I remember right, all you see is an explosion, which I always thought was a little weird), but there was no sense in changing it so Greedo shot first. It changes Han's character development and takes away from the humor in that scene.

I've never had a problem with the Jabba scene. I had wished he had finished it since I saw the clips of the scene with the stand-in actor in the "From Star Wars to Jedi" documentary back in the day. Sure, Jabba kind of looks weird, but all in all I like having the scene.

I actually never noticed Luke's scream until I heard it mentioned, but it doesn't bother me. No matter how brave and dignified my intentions were, I'd be screaming like a little girl if I was falling that far.

I could do without the "Alert my star destroyer..." line, mostly because of the way it's delivered. I don't know this 100% for sure, but I don't think it's James Earl Jones talking there, and it shows. Vader's lines and commands are always powerful and enunciated, yet this line sounds sort of weak and slurred together.

I kind of like the "Jedi Rocks" scene, but I don't like the fact that it replaced "Lapti Nek". By the way, someone was asking about Lapti Nek being on a soundtrack earlier. I have the original CD version of the ROTJ sountrack, and a song called Lapti Nek is on there, but it's a lot different. It sounds similar, but it's a different singer and the lyrics are completely different. Weird.

As for the ending of ROTJ, I absolutely love it. Sure, I liked the old Ewok song, but I don't think it's appropriate for the close of a six-part epic, as a celebration of the end of the Empire and the redemption of Anakin, whose story we've been following through six episodes. The new ending theme is one of my favorite songs from the saga, and a fitting celebration theme (I actually played it after completing my last final exam last sememster.) :) I also like seeing the celebrations on the different planets. I hope the DVD includes shots of Naboo and any appropriate planets from Episode III.

All in all, I like most of the changes of the SEs. I think the updates were necessary if the prequels were to be made, as the six films should be on an equal visual level. And I don't mind the idea of George Lucas wanting to do things he couldn't do before. I do agree that some of the changes were a bit silly and unnecessary, though. But it's all good. To me, they're small nuisances, and I'll be happy with the DVD releases. I can always stick in my old VHS copies to see the original versions of the annoying parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.