JCC If you could recommend one book and only one, what would it be?"

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    @Rogue1-and-a-half - Oh man, I can't tell you where to start with Carlin; they're all good. I want ot go back and buy the archived ones on the Cold War. But I know the one you mean - quite damning to Teddy Roosevelt!

If I had to recommend any, it would be the 5 part "Wrath of the Khans" series.
  2. solojones Chosen One

star 9

Brilliant use of time, fantastic and cutting parody of war, shockingly effective swings between laugh-out-loud funny and darkly depressing realities. It's a rare read that's enjoyable, enlightening, and sobering all at once. And from a literary perspective it's a brilliant example of what you can do creatively with prose.
    Last edited by solojones, Nov 5, 2013
    Frank T. and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Five parts?! And each part presumably super long, I bet. That sounds amazing.

By the by, I am about a week out from starting a thread on podcasts. We need one of those around here; I'll be posting little write-ups about a bunch of different ones (like a hosted discussion) and hopefully also people will be posting about the newest episodes of the ones they listen to, etc. (like a regular thread). Aren't you big into the Smodcasts too?
    Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Ender Sai Chosen One

star 9
    Ha, I actually spoke to a mod about that a while back but nothing came of it. Yeah, I catch the bus to work and cannot read on the bus without feeling profusely ill. So, I go all in for Podcasts - BBC History Hour; Smodcast - Fat Man on Batman; Smodcast - Hollywood Babble-On; BBC Five Live - The Chequered Flag (F1); Red Bull Racing; Sidepodcast; Freakonomics radio; Hardcore History. I used to listen to Reasonable Doubts but it ran out of interesting things to say.

And they're about 90mins a piece, those Khan ones.
  5. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7

everybody watch Marjoe right now. academy award winning doc from teh 70s, and one of the great under-watched documentaries of all time. famed child preacher marjoe gortner grows up and decides to expose the scam tactics of evangelical preachers
    Last edited by Rogue_Ten, Nov 6, 2013
    EmpireForever likes this.
  6. EmpireForever Comic Book Draft Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    I saw that on Youtube a while ago. Great stuff.
    Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7