main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you could rewrite the EU. . .

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Aftermath, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    This might have been done before, but one more time around won't hurt anyone, will it?

Let's say none of the EU books/comics/games/etc. were ever created, how would you imagine the post-RotJ Galaxy developing?

I think I would have stuck with the Imperials. Instead of having a new band of rogue Imps popping up just as the last batch were defeated, I'd stick with one large, united force fitting the losing side of the war. I'd try to stick in some future threats early on and develop them as the story arc continued. That way the a new enemy wouldn't always be magically appearing everytime you think the characters have won.

As for the characters, Han and Leia would still be married, but leia won't be so high up in the Republic system. Luke should have started training her earlier and stuck with it. That's about it for now.

What do you guys think?

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    This has been done before, but not with the twist you've given it. Before it was to take the exsisting EU and just rewrite it, eliminating what you don't like and keeping what you do. This is saying it didn't exsist, though the problem, of course, is that the EU dates back to 78 at the very least (though since I view the novelizations as being a part of the EU as well as the movies, I'd place it at 76 at the very least.) So essentially you're asking to rewrite a part of the EU only.

I think, in that case, that if it were me, I'd add my fanfics. For one, Luke and Leia would learn about Naboo and their mother. Mara would learn that Palpatine had her kill her own father. We'd get a glimpse of the afterlife, and Anakin Skywalker's trial in the afterlife. Things like that.

3. Infiltrator

Infiltrator Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 4, 2002
    afterlife??
    i'd have a rebellion within the new republic

4. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    I'd probably keep the Empire as one group like Aftermath said, but instead of them being on the losing side, I would have them go on without the Emperor and keep winning, probably more than before. I would also have Luke finding jedi candidates faster and not on purpose, plus he would never become the little wuss that he is today because they would always be fighting.

Another good idea Aftermath stated was to bring in the new enemies before they actually invaded. That way we would know of the Vong before they came and would be able to get used to them and their structure.

Also, I would create a Empire character something like Thrawn and bring the UR under the command of one side or the other.

5. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Yep, afterlife. I'm working on a piece of fan fiction right now that has Anakin standing trial for his life as Vader in the afterlife. The whole premise is a lot like the idea of Saint Peter meeting folks at the pearly gates and deciding if they can enter or not. For those who are going to respond that this is stupid because he became one with the Force and returned to the light side when he died, don't bother. I plan on him winning and remaining right where he belongs.

6. palpatineson

palpatineson Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2001
    That's sounds like an interesting idea.

You could probably have him meeting people from his past like Amidala or Windu. However, I think you should make it so that he loses the trial. It would make it a lot more interesting IMO

7. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I don't think it would be as intresting. Anakin destroyed Vader and the Emperor at the end of his life. He returned to the light side and became one with the Force. It feels like a bad idea to through that away.

As for meeting folks from his past, I've already used Greedo, the Blood Carver from Rogue Planet, and the version of Maul he fought in the Tales comics as prosecution witnesses. Plus I have a few more proscution witnesses whom folks may well recgonize who are going to pop up. As for defense, we'll be seeing folks like Padme, Shmi, Qui-Gon, and most surprising of all, Darth Maul. Plus we get to see folks from the ToTJ era as well taking a part on the jury. And Ulic Qel-Droma is the judge. The only characters I created for this are the two lawyers and a pair of balifs. For the most part, I want it to be folks people will recgonize, and events that took place in the comics, movies, or novels.

8. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    I wouldent change a thing, I think the authors are doing a great job.

9. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    There are some minor things that I though could have been done differently but for the most part I am pleased with what they have done. The only thing I would change is this Death of the month thing the NJO is turning into.

I would also like to see more standalone stories about other non Han/Luke/Leia Characters. I Jedi was great. Simply because it was about a minor character/jedi and his growth. I want more of that. A book like that with Mara, Kyp, Kam, Etc. Any Jedi Really. Every book doesn't have to be a big epic that covers the whole GFFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.