main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If YOU could talk to Anakin to stop him from his rampage...

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by HagentheSith, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    SLR. Not that I'm arguing with your point, but the part where you being registered b4 some1 makes u more justified and that alone enough reason to not defend urself...silly. He could know 20x more than u do about Star Wars. But a degress.

My post was not making a claim that I know more about SW than him (I probably do not, as I'm only a casual fan that grew up loving the original movies and playing w/ the toys). I was merely saying I don't have to explain to someone that hasn't been posting as long as I have my reasons for posting on the boards. I wasn't saying that I have more of reason to post here. I was just saying I don't have to explain my reasons. But that is off-topic and I will leave it at that.

2. HagentheSith

HagentheSith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 14, 2005
    Actually, I think he did think of this. Remember that after the Pod race when Anakin learns that he is no longer as he asks if Shmi is comming with him. Qui-gon says "I tried to free your mother, but Watoo wouldn't allow it." So he did think of it, he just didn't very hard to free her and it seems that Obi-wan didn't try at all.

I'm not sure Qui-Gon was referring to the detonators in that scene...he was referring to the "deal" he brokered with Watto to allow Anakin in the Pod-Race.

But Dear God...why oh why did George Lucas come up with that half baked idea of detonators in Shmi and Aankin?! Couldn't he have simply said that if slaves tried to leave...they'd be hunted down by bounty hunters and killed instead? Because now that I think of this thing of the detonators...I have to wonder why Force trained Jedi couldn't be able to "locate" hidden detonators in someone's body.

3. Tower_Skywalker

Tower_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2005
    maybe they could locate them, but to sneakily take out the detonators would be un-jedi like? They had to have ani and shmi released.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I wasn't refering to the detonators. I was refering to Qui-gon's deal with Watto. I think he tried to free Shmi, but didn't try very hard, but at least he tried. I don't think Obi-wan thought of it at all.

5. Wesyeed

Wesyeed Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 5, 2005
    Obi-wan doesn't seem to be as rebellious as his former master was. I still believe he thinks both Shim...no shme..Shmi something like that and Anakin are pathetic lifeforms, or I should say he thinks they're just a slaves who fate gave a free pass to success. Well, not Shmi since shes dead. He's a pretty arrogant guy up until he becomes humbled by the loss of a padawan I think.

6. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    As cliche as it sounds, I think all Anakin really needed was someone to shoot the bull with. He really couldn't talk to anyone about anything. Obi-Wan cares about Anakin, but he is too much responsible for him to treat him like a peer. ...and unfortunatly for Anakin, he chose a cold career minded shrew to marry. There really isn't a bigger mistake a romantic can make than to fall in love with an ambitious career woman.

Imagine talking to Anakin and saying things to him like "Yeh I know bro, that's total bull**** what they are making you do BUT let me buy you a beer we'll talk about it."

Everyone that he deals with is scared of him. He needs someone to talk to that is not scared of him and not overly impressed by his abilities. You've got to earn his trust by showing him that you don't really want anything except to be friends. No one has done that.

Consider Han and Luke. Han actually couldn't be more blatantly disrespectful to the fact that Luke could tear him to pieces, but they are genuinely pals. Luke knows that Han has the best of intentions because if he was manipulating him he WOULD NOT bust his balls all the time.

7. MAVERICKSOLO

MAVERICKSOLO Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    Wesyeed

Where did you get that notion from? Obi-Wan has never thought of SHimi and Anakin as pathetic life forms?

8. HagentheSith

Jan 14, 2005
    I would tell Anakin if he comes with me I know of a way to save Padme from dying. I would go on to tell him that I know if he joins the dark side he will kill Padme. "Is this what you want for your family Anakin?" I would ask him. I would tell him that Palpatine is using him, and wants him to kill Padme and the jedi. I would also say "even if you turn to the dark side, your son will bring you back to the light." "Don't make a mistake, it's not to late Anakin.".

That was pretty forceful and very strong. However, there's a problem here. I'm surprised you'd tell Anakin that Sidious would want him to kill Padme. For all intents...it's highly possible that Sidous has realized Anakin was having a relationship with Padme and wouldn't dare push his luck in trying to force him into killing Padme.

For all we know...Sidious may have encouraged the relationship between Anakin and Padme because it would have brought tension between Anakin and the Jedi Order.
    Sidious probably knew about the Jedi Council's rule of celibacy...much like the Catholic Church and his Priest and Nun rule of celibacy. So seeing Anakin be with Padme served Sidious pretty nicely.

No...I would have told Anakin that he should have been brave enough to tempt the Jedi Order into expelling him from their ranks..because THEN Anakin would have been justified in being given the choice to decide on whether to be with the Sith in that situation. Because if Anakin had announced to the Galaxy that he was married to Senator Padme Amidala...the furor would have embarrassed the Jedi Order into realizing they had to change their archaic ways.

Anakin wouldn't have had to hide his fears about the Jedi by keeping his marriage a secret. However...in this case...Anakin would have had to deal with Padme Amidala's wishes and concerns. But that's something that would have been between Padme and Anakin.

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Well, no that's not quite true. Qui-gon did it, but was offed by Maul at the end of TPM, so he never really had a chance to train Anakin or get to know him better which is a shame because he would have been a FAR better Master for Anakin to study with than Obi-wan was.

10. Ree

Ree Jedi Master star 5

Jan 25, 2005
    I'd go back even earlier than that- to convince qui-gon that it's a bad idea. Or maybe even earlier, go with qui-gona and obi to naboo. Stop the queen from going tothe senate coz she ends up leaving againa anyway and does nothing good there. (DO you realise she got rid of valorum for nothing coz by the time her planet was free the chancellor hadn't been elected yet?? anyway.... ) she devises the plan she had in TPM. That way NO-ONE ends up on tatooine to meet anakin. And even if someone does down the track he'll be too old to train as a jedi. And if padme meets him down the track (which, since they're destined to be together she will) and fall in love withhim then and they can have a proper marriage and have the twins who will grow up together.
    If there any holes in that plan, well no one cares!

11. MAVERICKSOLO

Feb 1, 2005
    Elle-Wan

I think Obi-Wan does shoot the bull with him in the Labryinth of Evil novel, which makes Anakin's betrayal that much more heartbreaking. Also I thought he talked to Anakin in the elevator in AOTC telling him to relax and take a deep breath and Padme would be happy to see him, hey they even laughed a little.So hopefully ROTS will portray the closeness of their friendship.

12. MAVERICKSOLO

Feb 1, 2005
    Uh Hagen
    You forgot one thing the SITH dont allow attachments either. How about Anakin make a choice either stay with the jedi order or go to Naboo and raise your family, but dont go to the SITH cause you are in for a rude awakening my friend.

13. BlasterMast3r

BlasterMast3r Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2004
    Convince Anakin not to turn would mean that the SW-galaxy would never see Darth Vader in a suit..You would ruin all the fun?

"Arr, ye should be making Obi-Wan walking the plank matey!"

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    But Dear God...why oh why did George Lucas come up with that half baked idea of detonators in Shmi and Aankin?! Couldn't he have simply said that if slaves tried to leave...they'd be hunted down by bounty hunters and killed instead?

Nah, detonators are much more cost effective than paying a ****load of money to a bounty hunter.

Because now that I think of this thing of the detonators...I have to wonder why Force trained Jedi couldn't be able to "locate" hidden detonators in someone's body.

What makes you think that a Jedi could find a detonator with the Force?

15. Dash_Renndar

Dash_Renndar Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 21, 2004
    I'd say: There will be a substantial reward for the one who finds the Millennium Falcon. You are free to use any methods necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegrations.
    Boba Fett: As you wish.

16. HagentheSith

Jan 14, 2005
    What makes you think that a Jedi could find a detonator with the Force?

I don't really know for sure...just a very strong hunch that Jedi should be able to sense these things. Also...it does raise questions about whether or not the Jedi are able to use the Force to see hidden dangers to their health...disease, etc. So I think this is a hidden area implied via knowledge of the Force.

17. Wesyeed

Feb 5, 2005
    Response: TPM, he refers to whatever Quigon has discovered on Tatooine as "another pathetic lifeform" He was talking about Jar Jar of course as the first pathetic find..hardy har har. And of course Qui puts him in his place, and Obiwan says 'yes master...etc.' and makes a sad face, but my point was that he jokes about people like jar jar, an outcast, as being pathetic. What then does he think of a slave?

I'm not sure he's too keen on Anakin's personal problems. "Dreams pass, in time." Any Dookuian psychoanalysist will tell you that Anakin's nightmares were a sign that something's wrong upstairs. Obiwan probably brushes off alot of Anakin's seemingly whiny, imasculine psychological paradigms as nothing more than pathetic, un-jedi-like behavior.

^I guess. *makes unsure face*

18. HagentheSith

Jan 14, 2005
    Response: TPM, he refers to whatever Quigon has discovered on Tatooine as "another pathetic lifeform" He was talking about Jar Jar of course as the first pathetic find..hardy har har. And of course Qui puts him in his place, and Obiwan says 'yes master...etc.' and makes a sad face, but my point was that he jokes about people like jar jar, an outcast, as being pathetic. What then does he think of a slave?

I'm not sure he's too keen on Anakin's personal problems. "Dreams pass, in time." Any Dookuian psychoanalysist will tell you that Anakin's nightmares were a sign that something's wrong upstairs. Obiwan probably brushes off alot of Anakin's seemingly whiny, imasculine psychological paradigms as nothing more than pathetic, un-jedi-like behavior.

After reading that...I have to say Anakin didn't have a very good relationship with Obi-Wan. I would have asked Anakin to at least get it out in the open with Obi-Wan and discuss their problems publically. I would have tried to encourage Anakin to get Padme Amidala to convince Obi-Wan to talk to him. Padme Amidala wasn't just Anakin's wife...but in a way...she was his mother substitute. Padme was Anakin's "Wendy" while Anakin was the Peter Pan who didn't want to grow up.

I would have encouraged him to tell her Obi-Wan needed to vent his pent up frustrations with his gifted but very troubled Padawan. To make such a scene work...it would have been wise for Anakin to encourage Padme to tell Obi-Wan about their marriage. If Padme had been able to get through to Obi-Wan about the marriage...Anakin would have finally opened up to Obi-Wan. This would have greatly lessened the fuse that Anakin was about to explode.

19. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    Nah, I'd probably -encourage- it...and tag along. [face_devil]

Nope, I don't have problems...

20. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    I'd say your intentions are good but you're not using common sense. If you're concerned about your wife, take her to the hospital. You're jumping to conclusions you nothing about. You cannot do it all. You don't have to trust anyone, you just need to follow the logic that everyone else does.

21. Wesyeed

Feb 5, 2005
    Indeed HagentheSith.

Therein lie many points of contention I have regarding understanding Padme's character. If she were truly an adult, she would have confided in someone like her mother and father, or sister that she was falling in love with someone younger than her and that it was a jedi. (deleted scene) That would be the mature action to take, not to mention telling obiwan, a trusted jedi knight and friend. Friends, truly good friends will listen to you no matter what you have to say and try to help in any way they can. I sometimes wonder how Padme could think Obi-wan untrustworthy and it makes me want to throw this laptop out the window.

I'd go back and tell Anakin to do what his mother says and listen to his heart, not his... proton gun.

22. -Syn-

-Syn- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 24, 2005
    I would have stopped Palpatine, not Anakin.

23. HagentheSith

Jan 14, 2005
    Therein lie many points of contention I have regarding understanding Padme's character. If she were truly an adult, she would have confided in someone like her mother and father, or sister that she was falling in love with someone younger than her and that it was a jedi.

I hope George Lucas isn't trying to say Anakin and Padme are Romeo and Juliet. LOL!

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Actually it occurs to me to wonder if Obi-wan was the right person to train Anakin. He was still Padawan himself until the end of the movie and seemed pretty disdainful of Anakin. I wonder if Ani would have been better off being trained by Mace or Yoda.

25. TheLightSide

TheLightSide Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    Slow down and think

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.