main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH AMERICA YOU MUST HATE IT"

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by thegreatyoda, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Quick, someone return this thread to its topic or...

2. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    Well, i get really ticked off whenever theres a school shooting in America. Such uncontrollable violence in a country where theres not even a war. And all anyone does about it is sue video games companies, the music industry, and anything else BUT gun companies. But hey, at least our news is generous enough to report whats going on in your country. Most Americans i've talked to have never even heard of the Omagh Bombing, the single biggest killing bomb ever in Ireland. What does that tell you?

3. TeeBee

TeeBee Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2002
    Why would we want to sue gun companies?

I'd rather slap upside the head the parent(s) who are so self-absorbed they don't have a clue what their kids are up to.

"But he's such a NICE boy!"

Yeeeeah....

4. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    That we are more concerned with out country's domestic affairs than with your country. We are a self-centered nation, yes, but we also have a lot of problems that require us to look inward.

The World Trade Center fiasco was sweeping in its impact because it was just so big of an incident. With thousands dead, the stock market in a dive, many companies (NYC offices) and people left out in the cold, and the notion that we are not as secure as we once thought: of course we are going to start beefing up airport security (which should be tighter than a drum under normal situations). Of course you are going to see the Office of Homeland Security and newer FBI regulations etc etc etc...

What's the problem with that? We're fixing a decade's worth of inadequate protection (thank you Clinton for focusing on your zipper and poor medicare bills while Bin Laden skips across the world dropping bombs). I don't see a problem with it. I see the opening conversation as implausible and not representative of average Americans who are smarter than you think, a little more down to earth. You get a lot of wild-eyed wackos speaking out, but it's always the vocal minority, never the majority. That's a key point here.

That point transfers to the JC, as well.

5. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    The problem is with Bush, not with Clinton. Bush had plenty of time and opportunity to beef up airport security. But did he bother? Nope. He was too busy taking vacations to Texas and choking on his own food. So Clinton had an affair. Big deal. It doesn't make him a bad President. I actually liked that guy, one of the only presidents to even visit Ireland.

6. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Why would i wanna sue gun companies? Well... guns, unlike video games and music, are made with the intention of killing people! Can you really blame some depressed kids for taking advantage of that fact? If the guns weren't there, they wouldn't be able to shoot people up. Simple as that. It would be extremely difficult for them to get guns if they were illigal. But thats not the issue here.

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Kaine, I'm quite sure bombs are illegal over there, hows that working?

8. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Its not depressed kids using the bombs, is it?

9. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    The problem is with Bush, not with Clinton

I'm always amazed at people who act like history began when Bush took office.

The terrorist threat is NOT something that just popped up over the past two years, and Clinton had plenty of warnings on the horizon to alert him to the fact that the security of the country needed to be re-thought.

And Clinton having an affiar was a big deal, at least tho those of us who find such behavior reprehensible, regardless of who you are. If I can't trust the president to not lie to and betray his own wife, then lie to the country about it, why should I trust him for anything? The guy was a sleazy attention whore if there ever was one. Bleh.

10. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    You're right, that makes so much difference.

After all, actually try to help the kids would be stupid, or something, we should just get rid off all guns so they have to stab people, or build bombs that would really be a step in the right direction.

After all, if we destroyed all the guns they'd stop using their evil gun powers to force people to kill.

Edit// And sicne religion seems to be one of the main problems over there how about we ban that? Hey this could be great! to avoid breast cancer we could ban breasts! Heres an idea, we can get rid of the infant mortality rate by not giving birth! Instant solutions!

11. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    Can you really blame some depressed kids for taking advantage of that fact?

YES. Being depressed does not give one license to kill. Guns or no guns. Period.

12. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    Quite frankly he didn't have to tell the country the truth about it. It isn't your buisness who he sleeps with! He could have a big 30 man orgy for all i care. He was still a decent president, and i can't believe how people ripped him apart for something that isn't any of their buisness.

Bush had a little warning. He could have done something.

13. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Kaine, I'm quite sure bombs are illegal over there, hows that working?

did you know you can make bombs instead of buying them?

If you know your stuff about chemistry you can easily make one...

I'm always amazed at people who act like history began when Bush took office.

The terrorist threat is NOT something that just popped up over the past two years, and Clinton had plenty of warnings on the horizon to alert him to the fact that the security of the country needed to be re-thought.

Didn't those terrorist starting appear tp when Bush was in the office I mean the other one... ( the guy who started the Gulf war)

14. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Lets blame bush!

After all, he's actually trying to get rid of Al Qaeda instead of blowing up tents with cruise missles.

Damn him!

Oh man, why didn't he fix all our nations problems in the nine months he was in office before the attack? I mean it's completely irresponsible of him.

Edit// Is there anything you don't blame America for? I mean really? "It's Bush Sr. fault for getting involved in the Gulf war." We should follow Hollands example and be to unimportant for anyone to give a damn what we think. It must be nice being so tiny you can mouth off and not have to worry about the consquences since everyone ignores you anyways.

15. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Osama bin Laden declared a jihad against the West in 1996. He was actively finding ways to terrorize and harm the West before that. Clinton had more opportunity to stop him than Bush, did no more than Bush, and yet you criticize only Bush.

I find it interesting that some people demand honesty and integrity from their government, but somehow fail to do demand the same from the men who lead their country and in a sense are that government.

16. TeeBee

Apr 2, 2002
    Bush had a little warning

Show me.

He could have done something.

Yeah, he could've deported a lot of Middle Eastern men and started profiling at the airports. That would've worked. Also would've gone over like a turd in a punchbowl.

And it's not my business who's diddling who, but when you're in public office, like the PRESIDENCY, you can rest assured what you do behind closed doors will be found out. He's as stupid as he is slutty.

He also had Bin Laden offered to him on a silver platter and refused. WHO could've done something again? ?[face_plain]

17. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    Why do all these people from other countries feel the need to criticize America so much? You don't see us criticizing your country. If we were, you would probably get defensive as well. It is pretty hypocritical as well, many people tell us America should mind its own business and stay out of other countries conflicts, well what do you call telling America what to do? Isn't that also getting involved with other countries business?

You know, America isn't even critized "that" much. You're paranoid about it.

Anyway, as for, "you don't see America.." hehe, check your own media please. I just saw "Married with Children" which had a whole France Bashing segement in it.

Hell, I've seen tons of country bashing on this board, I remember the EU being called "the fourth reich". etc.

But that isn't bashing is it?

But I realize that it's a minority of people.

18. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    We should follow Hollands example and be to unimportant for anyone to give a damn what we think. It must be nice being so tiny you can mouth off and not have to worry about the consquences since everyone ignores you anyways.

a. I'm not Dutch just live Holland

b. I was asking a question, is that illegal?! I asked "didn't those terrorist started to appear when Bush sr. was in the office?"

c. Stop bashing...

w00t GAP is here, now the fun starts :p

the EU being called "the fourth reich".

someone said that?!

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    No Omega, terrorist didn't suddenly appear out of thin air after 1991.

You know what this is, the worst sort of monday quarterbacking. Yeah great with everything you know you can make fun of the people who had to make the decisions with less then perfect information. Aren't you advanced.

20. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    I've said it once, apparently the message didn't get through, so i'll say it again. GUNS ARE DESIGNED TO KILL!! Breasts aren't designed to kill, those other things you mentioned aren't either, but guns are. Seriously, most depressed teenagers WILL use a gun if its their for their disposal. I know i would have blown a few people away when i was getting bullied, and i would have finished by topping myself off. You have no idea what its like for a teenager that gets tormented daily. Of course they're going to use a gun. A knife, however, they would probably never get a chance to use it on anyone but themselves. Thats why suicides happen everywhere in the world, but only gun shootings in schools happen in America! God. Some common sense. Being able to buy guns from Walmart is not cool. Being able to steal Daddy's rifle when hes off at work is not cool.

21. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    You know what this is, the worst sort of monday quarterbacking

:confused:I'm not familiar with American Football. Only football :p

No Omega, terrorist didn't suddenly appear out of thin air after 1991.

Reread my question (again) I said during Bush.sr was in the office not after the gulf war...

22. BoboliFett

BoboliFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2002
    "Anyway, as for, "you don't see America.." hehe, check your own media please. I just saw "Married with Children" which had a whole France Bashing segement in it."

Are you trolling for something. GAP, waving that old red cloth again?

Don't call me paranoid I find that offensive.

Just to spell it out for you, Married with Children is show that is all about making fun of AMERICA, they make fun of e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. As I said before Making fun of the French because they come off as arrogant,pompous,snobby,condescending,and whimpy is hardly the same as saying that dropping the bomb was an act of terrorism.

"Hell, I've seen tons of country bashing on this board, I remember the EU being called "the fourth reich". etc."

As I said, I have only seen Americans bash another country after some non-american bashed America. Is that the way it happend, GAP? If someone said it to you I will assume thats the way it went.

BTW, what is the easiest way to contact a MOD on this board?

23. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "but only gun shootings in schools happen in America!"

Not true. Germany had one just a few months ago.

That said, I'm reminded of a quote from the Onion: "Guns are only dangerous when used for their intended purpose." :p

24. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    I meant to say mostly in America, which is true.

25. BoboliFett

BoboliFett Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2002
    "Being able to buy guns from Walmart is not cool. Being able to steal Daddy's rifle when hes off at work is not cool."

See, this is the thing I am talking about. why don't you spend more time worrying about what is going on in your country than trying to force your countries beliefs on Americans. That would solve alot of problems right there. I am sure you have your own problems to deal with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.