main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If you feel jaded, how can IX make you fall in love with Star Wars again?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Jun 4, 2018.

1. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    So JJ did Star Wars labeled as Star Trek, now he does Star Trek labeled as Star Wars? [face_laugh]

Nevertheless, I'll go for this. It's the closest LF will get to admitting their bungle. The fallout would be hilarious.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    This reminds me of my favorite head canon someone came up with for the ST. The real timeline is Luke rebuilds the Order and Han and Leia have children and the galaxy moves forward. Unfortunately evil Snoke time travels back in time for revenge on the Skywalkers. He single handedly destroys what they built. This trilogy is an alternate timeline and the wrong future because Snoke is a powerful villain, and when they defeat him they’ll right the timeline [face_laugh]

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was me.

4. The Last Cookiemonster

The Last Cookiemonster Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    To build on it further, maybe ghost Luke is talking to Rey, lamenting that he didn't strike down Kylo the way he did Vader. She furrows her brow, and says she thought he spared Vader. Luke scowls, and says of course not.

She thinks the way she does because she is maybe... from the other galaxy? Maybe is somehow... mentally connected to the true Luke, who is lending her his power and skills, trying to right the other galaxy before it interferes with his own, hence all the same Luke scenes happening to her, the saber calling to her, etc? She might point out her realization of this when she arrives in the real galaxy, realizing who Luke was and how he was with her. He offers to now train her properly. IDK. Now it sounds worse than before. :p

AusStig and Herald of Mandos like this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Wait the old EU is the happy timeline? The one where the galaxy is at war essentially non-stop for 40 years? TLJ Luke would murder Vader but old EU Luke wouldn't?

I don't think alot of people wanted an ST, even if George had written it. They wanted a quaint epilogue to ROTJ.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    More successful timeline then.
    Fully realized New Jedi Order that lasts decades after the Big 3 are gone.
    A galactic Government more unified than ever since before the Clone Wars.
    An actual next generation and more for the Skywalker/Solo family.
    Also, foes that aren't the Empire/FO.

7. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    And don't forget Chewbacca dies, Luke's loses his wife and Han and Leia lose both of their sons.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    NEU Han and Luke die, Leia soon to join them most likely.
    R2 and C-3PO with no real role in either movie.
    Chewie was pretty fun in TFA but non-existent in comparison in TLJ.
    Luke has a son that will survive his death.
    Anakin Solo died a hero and Jaina still is a hero.
    Ben Solo? Too much baggage if he survives.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    By what measure? Assuming Rey rebuilds the Jedi order, what is more 'successful' about the old EU? Trillions more dead, decades more under authoritarian governments?

10. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    Not if handled right. I like the idea of Rey having been confused by vague memories of the "real" timeline. Of course she'll have to meet the "real" Ben Solo. He's a good guy, or seems to be- but her experiences with his alter-ego casts a long shadow...

What if Luke's killing his father was the point where the timelines split? Everything that went wrong stems from that- Luke becomes twisted with guilt, Vader's vengeful ghost corrupts his grandson, Palpatine escapes and lives long enough to find a successor (Snoke).

It's called The Balance of the Franchises.

11. The Last Cookiemonster

Dec 27, 2017
    The way I was picturing it, none of the young characters would likely exist in the other galaxy, due to key events diverging. Whereas there are versions of Luke, Yoda, but their ST universe versions have those weird quirks like Yoda actually being a bit crazy, Luke being a family killer who doesn't try to save his nephew, etc. What we saw were the weird bizarro Luke and Yoda, or as Mark Hamill put it, Jake Skywalker, since to him they simply weren't the same character (and it seems a lot of fans agree). There would probably be a multi-generational cast of younger Skywalkers and others on the other side, who could open a sort of Game of Thrones esque landscape of those who don't trust the galaxy refuges, those preparing for the war, those who don't have the force, etc. Really expand and allow for a bunch of stories to be told, take some cues from epic fantasy.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I feel the way Legend of Korra handled being the sequel to Avatar The Last Airbender is the way that people wanted the post-ROTJ to go.

13. The Last Cookiemonster

Dec 27, 2017
    Korra was pretty good except for it being ordered in standalone seasons which they couldn't plan for, so the story didn't flow as smoothly and characters were often set back to go through their arc again, and some characters ended up not really having an arc to fit the whole 4 seasons. Still a very well put together show with amazing music, and one of the best around despite its flaws.

And hey guys, alternative universe concepts are canon in the Star Wars movie universe, it's all been perfectly set up. ;)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  14. Roosterq

Roosterq Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 6, 2017
    That's exactly what you did. the comments up until then had been thoughtful critiques of the movie, but you post simply bashed people calling them TLJ Haters. Your words not mine.

AusStig likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That is exactly what happened. And it has been acknowledged and added to a growing list of such offtopic, personal attacks aimed at other users. So, please, drop it and return to discussing the actual topic... irregardless of whether or not other members are emotionally equipped to read other people somehow having opinions of things that do not line up with their own.

16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Actually.. no. This was my first post in this discussion - And yet if we were talking about the prequels, TCW or Rebels, I think some of you would be singing a very different tune.

And it was in response to the post directly above mine. The entire point was precisely that people need to be aware that not all opinions line up with others - both in the things they dislike and those that they like.

IncessantRamblings and Birkendoc like this.
  17. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I kind of enjoyed TLJ but I feel like answering the question anyway, since I am disappointed by the direction taken by the ST.
    The only thing I ask from the future SW movies is new ideas. RJ, even if we might not like what he did, deserves my praise for at least acknowledging this fact.
    So from ep IX I just want something new on the narrative point of view.
    This means, please, avoid Kylo's conversion at all cost!
    I guess it's the only thing I really ask. Less importantly, I would enjoy a bit of universe expansion, and more aliens and new cultures.

Resistance Trooper 2 likes this.
  18. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    As much as I've enjoyed Force Awakens, and developed a better opinion of The Last Jedi upon rewatch, I've decided to wait until Episode IX, so that I can pass judgement on the Sequel Trilogy as a whole. But if I'm being honest, all I want from the franchise at this stage, is an official release of the original unaltered trilogy, especially the original Return of the Jedi that my grandmother, who died six months ago, first rented out for me when I was nine. Just give me that much and I'll never raise another complaint again.

19. The Last Cookiemonster

Dec 27, 2017
    Well it looks like Mark Hamill has implied he won't be in ep 9. The fired ep 9 director is throwing some obvious criticisms at ep 8's writing (as I recall he was fired due to his strong disagreements on ep 8's ending for Luke) which fits fan suspicions that the Luke fight scene at the end was hastily added in as well as Rey's unseen escape, where the walkers were meant to be at the beginning like ESB and Rey ended up with Kylo, and Mark Hamill had joined in referring to himself as unemployed.

I think that takes away all my enthusiasm that they were going to somehow fix things by fixing Luke, possibly even fixing things the way that the X-Men franchise cleverly did, and show the real Luke.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    crazyewok and AusStig like this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not cool. One thing I was looking forward to in IX was Force-ghost Luke.

21. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I think Hamill will be in the next film as a FG. He's just saying that he was unemployed in may from my understanding.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  22. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    If that's true, I find it very interesting that RJ scrambled the ending around at the last second. I wonder what the original plan was. John Boyega has started work on IX/or he will start soon.

Has Mark Hamill been seen lately with a beard or anything? I thought he would be back as a ghost, but now I'm not so sure.

23. Bazookaleffe

Bazookaleffe Jedi Master star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    I don't think there is anything that can make me fall in love again.
    Perhaps if something really shocking happened, like Luke being reborn by the w(h)ill(s) of the force.

The TLJ left such a bad taste in mouth that I really don't feel like watching anything Star Wars for a long time.
    I never thought I could feel this way about this franchise 9 months ago, hype was through the roof.
    Good thing I can look forward to Denis Villeneuve's Dune.

It's sad.
    Not life changing sad, like losing a family member, just... sad.

24. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Y'all.

Hamill is JOKING about being unemployed. Maybe it's a reference to Luke being dead, but likely it's purely a joke. The "unemployed actor" wants to be in a kid's movie. Get it?

Even if he's not in Ep 9, he still has other projects in the works. He's not unemployed, he's joking. Which means his role in Ep 9 is perfectly possible. Likely even. It may only be a week of filming, but he'll be in it somehow, somewhere.

Revanfan1 and B3 like this.
  25. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I never fell out of love with Star Wars but if Mark Hamill is in EP9 then I will be head over heals in love.....

ChrisLyne likes this.