main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IF you found proof the Potentium was wrong...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    How would you react? What would you say?

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Hey, this proof is just like the movies! Oh wait, it is the movies! :rolleyes:

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'd accept it and move on. They're just books based on kid's movies, after all.

4. Sikon

Sikon Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2006
    Kids' movies? Is this why the last one was PG-13?

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Please stay on topic. I did this for a reason.

By proof, I mean proof that would even convince the people who believe the Potentium doesn't conflict with the movies to believe it's wrong.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I would yawn and go look at the proof that Palpatine is Sidious or something more debatable like that. Y'know, something we didn't already know. ;)

7. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Me, I'd laugh, long and hard... (not that what AWJ said isnt truth in itself)

8. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I would say... hmmm, what *did* I say back when I finished reading Traitor and then actually looked at the rest of Star Wars on a whole...?

I would be (was, like many here I would suspect) completely unsurprised and say something along the lines of "Well, duh!"

(By the way, isn't the Potentium wrong by default, as it has the inability to declare itself 'right,' as distinctions between right and wrong 'don't exist?' ;) )

9. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Say, "Yes, and...?", seeing as how it wouldn't really be news.
    Different uses of "right" and "wrong". One is used in an ethical sense, and the other in a factual sense.

10. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003
    Good point.

However, wouldn't that still imply a lack of abillity/drive to actually adopt it over the traditional view of the force, since it can't declare itself morally 'right' to replace the current system with itself? (Not that I think it would be morally right to continue using a system of viewing the Force if it was found to be factually wrong... I'm just saying, based on the Potentium's logic...)

11. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    say 'I KNEW IT!' and move on. :p

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It would take some pretty miraculous proof to make me believe the Potentium and similarly derived force theories are totally fallacious. I?ve yet to come across any definitive in universe proof that a person?s actions are anything other than their actions. The force may coerce or amplify what would otherwise be a pin drop, but without an individual?s intent the dark side cannot be.

In other words, I can?t answer the question posed here until such proof is readily available.

They're just books based on kid's movies, after all.

If I were the emoticon type, I?d definitely bust out that eye-rolling guy about now.

13. Zarm_Rkeeg

Jan 9, 2003

Hence the 'IF' in capital letters... [face_whistling] ;)

14. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    Well, considering there's already proof that the Potentium is wrong, I'm not sure what everyone would get so excited about to begin with. ;)

15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's a distortion of the understanding of the dark side. It's their actions, but their actions dictate which well they're drawing from, as well as what exactly is doing the "coercing" and "amplifying."

16. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Short of an out-of-universe declaration, the Potentium and related philosophies really can't be proven wrong.

17. Silver_mane

Silver_mane Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 13, 2005
    *dances* But I have the proof that its wrong, but I cant say anything til the 30th. [face_mischief]

18. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    I read this "proof," and I don't at all see what everyone's getting worked up over. It's hardly anything substantial.

19. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    What does this "proof" relate to?

Anyway, I'd say the prequel assertions that the dark side is clouding everything and reducing the Jedi's ability to use the Force stands out pretty strongly against the "no dark side" thing.

20. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    A summary of Betrayal. Can't be discussed even in the relevant thread due to new board policies.

Anyway, I'd say read the book firsthand before making any wild declarations.

21. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    It's a good thing, then, that there's already an out-of-universe declaration in the Power of the Jedi Sourcebook--stating that the Potentium is a inherently wrong philosophy which will inevitably lead it's practicioners to the Dark Side of the Force. ;)

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It never is. Just like DN. A spoiler of behavior that people want to believe proves something, something that reinforces their beliefs, but no out-and-out proof.

On topic, I'd shrug and move on.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  24. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I don´t personally support Potentium, but the fact that if person X, a follower of Potentium, falls to the Dark Side, it doesn´t mean that Potentium is wrong. And if every known follower of Potentium falls, that too doesn´t make it totally impossible for somebody being able to follow Potentium without falling. Very unlikely isn´t the same as impossible. And all who are powerful in the Force and use much Force powers tend to fall if they continue doing this for a long time, we have been told - among other places, in HoT... So perhaps all views of the Force lead powerful Force users to fall to the Dark Side - at least for a time. Even Yoda hinted to this kind of experience in his past.

25. J_K_DART

J_K_DART Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I'd be relieved to be rid of the moral relativism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.