main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit If you had to design a non-darksider/Imperial enemy in the new canon...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

shrugs:

the citizenry seemed to want the lolz...

2. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    The EU did the killiks which were basically a poor man's Borg.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I got out a few books into the Vong series.

As far as the state of the citizenry or more specifically the galaxy itself....I am sure this was the direction GL wanted it to go...but they tried to take them down the path to a re-unified Galactic Republic. I have stated it elswhere...but after thousands of years of Republic corruption and 20 years of Imperial tyranny I think the galaxy would have broken up into dozens if not hundreds of political factions.

The Tion Hegemony, The Mandalorian Protectorate, the Corporate Sector, The Centrality, The Noble Houses of Tapani, The Eriadu Authority, Hutt Space, etc, etc, etc....all independent of whatever may have been salvaged by either the New Republic or the Imperial Remnant.

There would have been a geopolitical landscape kind of like what we have here on Earth. There would be alliances and trade deals and treaties but for the most part all of these polities would be running their own affairs.

Havoc123 likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh god space libertarianism would be the worst. I mean, there's a lot of "the worst" with the arse end of legends but still. Fantasy selfishness, dressed up as if a real ideology.

There's a good villain; space libertarians.

5. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, if I am to comment on the issue seriously...

:ahem:

I have never understood the cultural shift to one giant all encompassing galactic government in Star Wars. That pivot point has never been addressed by any source, canon or Legends. I've always felt that the planets could hammer out their own regional trade alliances without binding themselves to a galaxy wide leviathan which, in order to be successful, must inevitably snuff some cultural uniqueness in creating the required homogeneity needed to maintain such an unwieldy beast.

Undoubtedly, you could create a bunch of bad guys, who in their self righteous conviction that they possess all the answers, would then try to march the galaxy back to a culture destroying, freedom sucking galactic government.

[face_worried]

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think you have to concede, based on how the UN's effectiveness over time diminished as its membership expanded (starts at 50-something, has >190 member states now) and how the EU's expansion to Eastern Europe, Southern Europe, not even Europe (sup Turkey) has undermined it too, that yes - supra-national bodies in a realistic setting don't work. However, there is utopianism to fantasy and space opera, so it can and should work. The issues with the Senate in the Prequels (shudder) mostly seemed to be that it functioned less ideally than possible but it also showed how wicked men like Palps exploit that.

Realism doesn't come into it; the utopian aspect should be that it works like it did in the bantam books.

Gamiel likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    There was the tion hegemony, the hutts, chiss, Corporate Sector, various miscellaneous minor powers especially in the southern core. The Hapans, the corellians have an independent streak,

Also recall civilization in the Legends was over 24,000 years old. That's more than enough time with FTL travel for galactic identity to crystallize.

AusStig likes this.
  8. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I think the pre...uhhh pre Prequel era had more of the fantasy-esque element to the Republic. With the advent of the Prequels, Star Wars went on a cynical course and Ep VII has just taken it further.

If I were to tell you what Star Wars' message is now, I would have to say that part of it is: Don't look for salvation in politics.

I have to say that when I was younger I did like "The Republic is the perfect magical kingdom before the empire" idea. However, like Star Wars itself, I have become a bit jaded over time.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  9. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    This would probably be the ideal result post-Legacy. The Fel Empire existing in its original territories, the GA owning some historical rebel-leaning worlds like Chandrila, Mon Calamari, Sullust and then independent states of Hutts, Tapani, Mandalorians and so on. Sure, the Republic worked for thousands of years but so did the Roman Empire. Eventually it came to an end and gave way to nation-states. No reason why this can't happen in the GFFA.

10. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    IIRC from The Essential Atlas and Essential Guide to Warfare...Core Worlds of Courscant, Alderaan, Duros, Corellia (system), etc...banded together for mutual trade and such and then pushed outward establishing colonies and trade with planets/species they found. This led to the idea or an egalitarian central government that was great on paper but as the Republic grew it became too big to manage and representation really wasn't equal. They would have a senator for each core world...but then out in the colonies, mid rim, etc...a senator who would be representing thousands of worlds in his sector.

Add onto that the nature of some sentients to be corrupt and you have corruption on a galactic scale.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I seem to recall in the essential chronology its stated the republican was born crippled.

12. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    In Legends, the Republic was about Core Worlds Imperialism. It was the British and Roman Empire mixed into one. It only lacked a William the Conqueror or Julius Caesar to establish a strong leader along with the centralized authority that the Republic had, well at least until Palpatine came along. The Republic was only a 'pacifist magical kingdom' during the time of the Ruusan Reformation, and we all know how that worked out in the end.

13. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Perhaps a conflict over liberation of droids and their rights. Also to stir the pot even further some kind of droid / machine infection that turns them against all beings of flesh and blood. Think Stephen King's Maximum Overdrive in that GFFA. Our flesh and blood heroes find themselves unable to trust their own machines.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Would be interesting and the EU occasionally did refer to this.

Have the Jedi grapple with Droid sentience, AI and so on. Would certainly be a change of pace and tone.

I can't see them doing it though.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't the Coruscanti humans basically bully/manipulate the other core worlders into joining? I also recall the Duros where a key species in its formation as well.

The republic grew by colonization and war-with the Hutts, Tion Hegemony, and countless annexations. Not to mention large amounts of corporate exploitation of tens of thousands of world's.

The Ruusan period was an anomaly. Basically after all the conflicts with the Sith and countless crises, the republic disarmed for the most part, sought to placate corporate interests while keeping the Jedi in the loop.

The only wars were limited and sharp and fast.

16. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Bad guys: Hutts, pirates, and organized crime in general. I want villains who aren't out to conquer the galaxy but end and ruin countless lives all the same. Honestly, that and not the Sith are what the Jedi should spend most of their time fighting.

17. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013

Seriously. Force almighty. Dalaa makes Isard look like Thrawn, or Palpatine. How does someone THAT manifestly unqualified end up...

... ah, crap.

18. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Aug 25, 2013

I thought this was basically the Sith. For a value of "libertarian" equal to "Objectivist."

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Sith code is all about the Self.

20. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think you have to concede that at all. Supranational bodies with certain rule sets don't work. Remember, the United States didn't get its name out of a crackerjack box. And, under the rules set of the Articles of Confederation, it, too was hamstrung. Under the Constitution, it functions (though I concede I may not be stating this fact at a point in history where it's most obvious).

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Extragalactic is far easier to swallow than extra-dimensional.

Ghost likes this.
  22. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Ah a TNG Borg fan, I loved Voyager and First Contact's rendition of the Borg and watching BOBW is grating.

23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I would design a Jabba like villain that was more imposing than Unkar Plutt.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Perhaps a corporate enemy? Sienar fleet systems or something to that effect?

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I'm just saying the CMB look far less strange than the Vong. Their technology is exotic by SW standards, but MUCH more familiar than Vong biotech. The Combine's tech features light biotech, but it's all centered around electrical components. Regardless of origin, one is clearly more strange, IMO.