main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit If you had to start reading Star Wars comic TPB's today, where would you start?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG-88Droid, Sep 6, 2016.

?

If you had to reading Star Wars comic TPB's today, where would you start?

1. Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi

17.6%
  2. Star Wars: Legends Epic Collection The Empire Vol. 1

5.9%
  3. Star Wars: Obi-Wan and Anakin

11.8%
  4. Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes

35.3%
  5. Other: Please let me know below

29.4%
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Good luck finding the SoD trade cheap, that one looks to have vanished quick!

As to what to read in terms of canon versus Legends, no real difference except I wouldn't advise trying to link up the two - that's what we've got Sinrebirth here for. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

Good luck with that, Sinrebirth.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I forget, you recent members don't know our Continuity Grand Master that well yet!

One point I will throw in is that I can't recommend Dawn of the Jedi. Not only did it get screwed over by the Great Reboot, but it was a pale shadow of what John and Jan did in Clone Wars and Legacy.

4. IG-88Droid

IG-88Droid Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2016
    I have no choice but to buy Epics now...they feel so good in the hands..and like the continuation method..just read vol. 1 loved it

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Vol 1 of?

6. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    I wish they would have started the epic volumes with dawn of the jedi and continue from there so people can know what's coming...but nooooo..

7. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    Epic vol 1 empire something sorry on treadmill at gym now

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah, that was a real grab-bag of material - mostly good stuff but I never heard much good comments about the Last Command arc. There were some but more negative than positive overall.

9. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    You're right. If I had to rate the stories I would give it 7.5/10 overall. I really liked how it felt like one same book though. And I'm really happy it's not one of those ugly omnibus with the half white cover and smaller than usual size. I have 2 Terminator and 1 Aliens Omnibus and they stick out like some ugly sore thumb on my shelf.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm. I don't think anyone could really appreciate Dawn of the Jedi without any knowledge of the rest of the EU. Why that got a bunch of votes... dunno. It seems from past comments in this thread the aim was to read everything chronologically. So you must be the people who tell non-SW fans to start with TPM if they haven't seen the films yet.

Although I'm not one to talk -- I started with the Stark Hyperspace War, which was basically TPM. With only the cool characters.

Dr. Steve Brule and IG-88Droid like this.
  11. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    Barriss you make a great point! How would you go about it than? If I keep buying the new Epic volumes which contain roughly 4 TPB'S per volume, is that a good idea?

12. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    Damn, Bariss you make a great point! How would you go about it than? If I keep buying the new Epic volumes which contain roughly 4 TPB'S per volume, is that a good idea?

13. SpaceLord2014

SpaceLord2014 Jedi Knight

Dec 31, 2014
    I would go with Dark Times, it's the stories that I probably like the best.

spicer likes this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'll be honest I don't have a good answer to this -- I've not read the new post-Disney comics, so they might be the best to start with. But I've read almost all the old ones, and for the life of me I can't think of the "best" TPB to start with (assuming I had to restart).

I will say this much I guess -- I wasn't a huge fan of comics when I started years back because they're a huge money suck compared to books and I'm a cheapskate. But I got hooked by starting (by chance) with the ones that starred characters I liked. So if there are characters you happen to like, start with those.

(In my case it was Nute Gunray. I would not suggest a similar tactic. You will begin and end with Stark Hyperspace War and be sad. Unless you don't like or care about Nute Gunray. In which case you shouldn't listen to me. Also I will hate you.)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Some of the current prominent canon only has its background in the EU (and may not even have a canon background developed by Disney any time soon). For example, Darth Bane's sole canon appearance is his episode in The Clone Wars, which gives a very sparse summary of his background recited by Yoda. If you want to know literally anything about him, you could start with the comic 'Jedi vs Sith', or start with his novel trilogy if you wanted. It is not clear when, or even if ever, Disney will provide a canon background on Darth Bane.

And (spoilers for Rogue One)
    Saw Gerrera looks to be a prominent character in Rogue One, and his history is closely tied with his homeworld of Onderon as seen in the Clone Wars. But for background on Onderon, you need to read the Tales of the Jedi Omnibus comics.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  16. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    Incredible...I am now almost fully convinced that Disney sucks for Star Wars. I finished the first Epic Volumes and started reading Obi Wan & Anakin. This feels more like a Star Trek story than a Star Wars one. Don't like the art or lettering either. Obi Wan looks more like Qui Gon Gin. The Emperor is the only well drawn one. Story keeps dragging and repeating...I'm halfway done but this is rather dissapointing...6/10 just like TFA the movie.

Amon_Amarth likes this.
  17. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015

Eh, I wouldn't suggest Obi Wan & Anakin if I was beginning. It also wasn't that good of a read, in my opinion.

18. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I have the same opinion about a lot of the new Marvel Star Wars comics. At least Obi-Wan and Anakin didn't overwrite any EU with its story.

I really disliked the Marvel 'Darth Vader' series, especially in regards to a character called Dr. Cylo. What made it worse for me was that it overwrote what were, in my opinion, the superior stories in the EU Classic Star Wars Vols. 1-3: In Deadly Pursuit, Rebel Storm, Escape to Hoth. But maybe you will like the new Vader series.

19. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    They actually ran like a bunch of nerds to overwrite EU stories instead of creating their own or adding to the previous stories in case they one day realize man...we're too dumb to think of anything original let's just proclaim the EU as canon again?....

Man...Disney is really pathetic. I have Skywalker strikes already and I will buy one Vader, if both of these suck it's goodbye Disney....Don't need no flying blimps in my books...kinda cheezy crap was that in the Obi Wan tpb...I felt like I was reading some cheezy Star Trek or Mad Max comic...

20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Oh, you're going to be displeased.

21. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Jason Aaron's Star Wars and Gillen's Darth Vader is an outstanding entry point regardless if you prefer nu canon, old canon, or the original marvel stuff. Honestly I love the old EU but I always felt the comics were a weak link compared to the novels and games it's the reverse this time as I think the comics are telling the best stories and are consistently high quality this time around.

22. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Really? I thought that comic series like Knights of the Old Republic and Legacy were incredibly successful, bringing in interesting characters, good storytelling and a lot of originality to the franchise, as well as giving life to the fandom in the years after ROTS.

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  23. Captain RX

Captain RX Jedi Master star 2

Jul 30, 2014
    Those came a little after my time. When I was really into the comics in the mid 90s and the best things I can think of from that time were the X-wing series and Crimson Empire 1

24. IG-88Droid

Aug 16, 2016
    Ok. I just finished reading half of Skywalker Strikes TPB. The art and colors are beautiful in most areas. But this is starting to be my overall impression about anything Disney Star Wars:

While the action is there...I feel as if the script, the way the characters talk and act..have all been dumbed down or are written by people who seem like they had something else more important to do that month.

I actually feel stupid reading these things, exactly like the new TFA movie. There's absolutely nothing memorable, original or anything that stands out here. It reads like some dumb GI Joe comic. It's just action, no passion in the story at all. I will try one Vader, if that sucks too I'm done with Disney.

25. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    "Han Solo dying isn't memorable"
    "An organization formed out of the galactic empire isn't memorable"