main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you had watched TPM and AOTC first would you have loved star wars as much as you do?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hananiah, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

I think the ot is much better then the prequels they had alot more character. I do like the sequels but even though visualy look brilliant they lack the storyline to suck me into the saga.
    What do you think?

2. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    no I don't think I would like star wars as much. I am too old now to love a movie the way I did when I was a child. Star wars is a way to reconnect with that time and thats why I really love star wars. the pt does conjer those memories but not in the same way as when I watch the ot.

I stll enjoy the pt very much.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well TPM came out when I was 12, and I really liked it. But part of that was because I'd grown up on SW since wee childhood. I would still like SW, because I'd find the PT to be pretty cool... but if it had been something new in 1999 there wouldn't be all the backhistory to be involved in and such. Kind of hard to tell.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    If I'd seen the prequels at the same time I first saw the OT (around age 8), then yeah, I think I would.

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. DarthMaul13

DarthMaul13 Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 1998
    I saw the OT first in 1996, then Episode I in 1999. If I saw Episode 1 & 2 first, I definately could care less about Star Wars.

6. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I am too old now to love a movie the way I did when I was a child
    One of the greatest things about the PT was the ability to re-live the excitement of our childhoods (for those of us who grew up on SW).

I don't think TPM would have been as successful (1977) as ANH...simply because the limits on technology would have dragged it down. On a similar note, I thnk ANH would not be as disregarded as "another summer blockbuster" by today's standards.

Part of the success of Star Wars (ANH) was because it was a return to the classic sci-fi genre...in an era of some really depressing/end of the world sci-fi (Planet of the Apes/Logan's Run) A trilogy where a good kid goes bad...and brings about the end of the Republic would have bummed people out. And we'd gotten "Splinter of the Mind's Eye" as a B-movie low budget sequel...THANK THE FORCE THAT DID NOT HAPPEN!!!!!

7. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I would have. Before the PT, I thought SW was alright, but I wasn't a big fan. The PT pulled me in.

8. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Although Aotc is my favorite Star Wars film, I don't think it would have an emotional impact on me as much without theot. Particularly The Anakin/Padame romance. The haunting musical score was so tragic, but without prior knowledge it would have been less of an emotional ride for me.

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I don´t know, actually. I would feel differently about Star Wars in some way, but if I would like it more or less, I don´t know.

10. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Maybe, don't think so though.

11. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    star wars ANHhappened at the exact right time in history. it was viewed largly as a clear cut good vs. evil movie where the good guys wear white and the bad guys wear black. there were no blured lines. this country was coming out of the vietnam war and a president who decived his country we were just "getting back to normal" and star wars brought a close to those trubling times.

I was too young at that time to know any thing about those details but may parents knew to take me. I quite literaly have been hooked ever since.

If I had never seen star wars before TPM I cannot say I would like the whole thing as much.

everything happens for a reason. anh was the right thing at the exact right time.

12. Tomaschus

Tomaschus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2003

More than likely not. Today there are many better sagas than the prequals. The origonals are still classics but the new movies are just boring. I could easily see why any kid would not like them. TPM and AOTC would totally turn me off to Star Wars in general.

13. ForceMaster101

ForceMaster101 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 30, 2003
    TPM came out when I was about 8 and I would of never seen it if my mom and dad didn't own the OT on video cause when I was 6 my mom MADE me watch the OT so I did and I LOVED it!
    Now, I'm 12 and I'm waiting for EpisodeIII. I don't think I'd woulda liked Star Wars if I just saw the PT because then I liked movies like comedy not action. I was at my Grandma's and Grandpa's house when TPM came out in theaters and I BEGGED to see it and after awhile they did and then I saw AOTC which I loved it all thanks to the OT.

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    TPM and AOTC were actually the first SW movies i saw entrioely, it wasn;t until after AOTC came out that i was into SW seriously

but i am OT fan to the core, fave is TESB and i was born in 1984!

15. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    If you had watched TPM and AOTC first would you have loved star wars as much as you do?

Actually, I did watch TPM and AOTC first (I watched them before the OT), and they made me fall in love with SW.

Without TPM&AOTC, I would never become a SW fan.

16. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Sort of the same as Vampire-jing.

I watched TPM first before any of the Star Wars films.
    And it was and always has been Star Wars to me, and it was the first movie I'd been so in love with to see it 13 times :D
    I can't help wonder why people complain, when I, as a 16 year old back then, was completely over-awed and amazed by the whole experience.
    Then I watched the OT and well, the only one of them that made me feel as excited was ROTJ.

With AOTC, I was given another great Star wars experience.

So yeah I did watch TPM & AOTC first, and yeah they are more loved than the OT in my book, because they brought to me the introduction to the Star Wars tale.

17. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I think the prequels would be the popular SW. Think about it if GL had made them first the Force would be new and none of us would know what would happen, we know what happens in 4,5,6 and we know what will happen in the prequels just not how exactly it happens so I think the prequels would be the biggest thing right now.

18. QUEEN_LEIA

QUEEN_LEIA Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 29, 2003
  19. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    No offense but this forum is not for what if sort of questions. This thread while intelligently constructed does not belong in the Saga boards.

20. ValinFett21

ValinFett21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2003
    Relax Darth-Seldon.

TPM is not as good a film as ANH, but it would have still been a groundbreaking film in 1977(Although maybe Jar-Jar would have had an IQ over 3 if he wasn't digital). I think that the real question is how different would TPM be if it were 1977 and GL didn't have a license to do whatever he wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.