main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you heard about a rap album laced with Star Wars references, would you buy it?

Discussion in 'Archive: Cleveland, OH' started by TheRandomMenace, May 31, 2002.

?

If you heard about a rap album laced with Star Wars references, would you buy it?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2002.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRandomMenace

TheRandomMenace Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2002
  2. Padawan92

Padawan92 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2001
    Ah, No.
    I don't like rap in the first place. It will not change for a reference.

3. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    I said "laced" with references, which means that they're all over the entire album, like at least one reference per song. It would most likely feature samples of John Williams songs too, like remixed beat versions of Duel of the Fates and Imperial March.

4. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    Still

No.

5. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    Gotta agree with Padawan92. I would personally avoid that album like the plague.
    And sampling John Williams music? Dat's bombad. You can get in SERIOUS trouble for that without permission.

6. JediKnightPasJoDacle

JediKnightPasJoDacle Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
  7. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I'm not a fan of rap in general, and I have issues with "sampling;" especially anyone who would take John Williams' wonderful music a turn it into a rap. So, NO I would not buy it simply because it was "laced" with SW references.

EDIT: For the record, I'm not a big fan of soundtracks with music "inspired by" a movie but not in the film. So unless GL or JW decide to introduce rap into the Episode III soundtrack, I think we're safe.

8. Jedi_BMack

Jedi_BMack Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    hmmmm... on wrong side of fence i seem to be...

couple points
    1) i don't 'buy' albums anymore... thank you mp3 technology. and don't me give any of that crap about the artist not getting the money from royalties. as a musician with several professional friends, i know where the money goes and it's not to the artist. i could walk up to an artist on the street with about a buck fifty and pay for an album that i burned/downloaded. and THAT would circumvent the real criminals.

2) sampling is not bad. it's also a good bet that if the album exists with samples on it, permission is given. just don't expect the artists to reap many benefits from that little under the table agreement.

3) i also do not see how someone could have issues with sampling. i've used so many objects to make music. that's how music is created. it is ordered sound. music does not have to come from musical instruments or a human voice persay. samples are just another slightly-less simple object to use to make music.

4) there's a distinct difference between sampling and remixing. taking one musical phrase and looping it through an entire song while flowing over top is generally sampling (eg: Busta Rhymes, Gimme Some More, sampled Psycho theme music, Puff Daddy, sampled both Kashmir and Every Step You Take.) Remixing is a completely different idea. A whole piece is completely reworked into another form with the same general form as the original. While i probably would not enjoy songs with SW samples, some kickin remixes would be pretty fly.

Sorry about the rant. Please no one take offense. Over the past year and a half, i've almost completely changed my position on electronic and computer generated music in general. I used to think, out with it. Now, i'm pretty cool with it. And if some people can look at electronic music even just a little touch different now, i consider my rant worth it.

-b-

9. TheRandomMenace

Mar 13, 2002
    See, for example, if I used Duel Of The Fates, I would use the whole brass element in the original, but add percussion and slow it down a little to make it a hip-hop beat. And if I did this, of course I would get JW's permission. If you guys wanted me to, I could human beat-box it for you at the next meeting. One of the main things about hip-hop is "keeping it real." Since I'm not a gangster, I'm not going to rap about gangster stuff. I'm a Star Wars nerd and a kid with suburban problems, so I'm gonna rap about that. Apparently, I shouldn't have asked this question to Star Wars fans, but rather to hip-hop people, because you are all obviously biased against rap. But if you saw the lyrics I was thinking about using, you would call me a lyrical genius.

10. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    HA! More like catatonicly inane...j/k.

11. JediKnightPasJoDacle

Mar 16, 2002
    Ok, I just double checked, and found that that I still would not buy it.

12. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    It could be cost nothing but I still would not want it. If it was not from John, I don't want it.

13. _-Reborn_Jedi-_

_-Reborn_Jedi-_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Rap suXors major a$$! Mixing rap with Star Wars is about as bad as making a feature-length film starring Jar Jar. It's just not right. When it comes to the music, only one master can touch it and that's John Williams. I hate classical music too, and yet I love the Star Wars music that he makes. That's just how damn good it is. I can see making maybe a techno remix of a Star Wars song (in which most of them sound great) or maybe a heavy industrial metal type remix of Star Wars tunes, such as the remixed Imperial March theme from the PC game Force Commander (in which that particular track was the only good thing about the game), but not rap. You can't disrespect music of that magnitude with the wretched hive of scummy, villainous music they call rap. 'Nuff said.

14. GrnJalera

GrnJalera Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2001
    TheRandomMenace -
    "And if I did this, of course I would get JW's permission."
    No, you wouldn't get his permission. He'd demand an EXTREMELY high price for "permission" which you could never afford even if you saved for YEARS.

TheRandomMenace
    - "But if you saw the lyrics I was thinking about using, you would call me a lyrical genius."
    Sure, we would. ;)

15. Padawan92

Jan 22, 2001
    Still maybe

NO!

16. DonC

DonC Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2001
    I have nothing against rap, but no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.