main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If you live in a part of the world that has seen the film... SPOIL IT FOR US

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dallista321

Dallista321 Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2008
    I don't know. The way Threepio spoke about Artoo, I got the sense that Luke disappeared without taking Artoo with him. "Artoo has been in low energy mode ever since Master Luke disappeared", something along those lines.

2. Lurtz

Lurtz Jedi Knight

Dec 16, 2015
    Maybe Luke actually had the full map when going on his search, copied it for himself, and split it up so that no one could follow him.

3. Teamx

Teamx Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    I think the map was just a vehicle to set the story in motion, I mean nobody knows where Luke is, but there's a map. I'm pretty sure they say it's incomplete and part of an Uncharted system so it's useless without the rest. But then R2 has the rest of the map (majority of it) and suddenly everyone is all "ahhhh I know where that is". I don't think it holds any more significance than setting the story in motion

4. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    So, I read that JJ said their would be an "I am your father moment" so was there and what was it?

5. RobShanti

RobShanti Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2009
    Depends on if he was speaking literally or emotionally. Literally, I suppose it's the revelation that the villain is the son of Han & Leia. Emotionally, I don't know...maybe the death of one of the most beloved characters of the franchise.

Anleifr likes this.
  6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    That was misdirection from JJ in terms of a big reveal. The big reveal is Kylo being Ben Solo and it's done very early and casually in the movie. The Han and Kylo confrontation isn't on par with Vader and Luke in ESTB obviously but I thought it was really well done so yes there is a "I am your father moment" yes. They weren't yelling at each other in some typical cliché way. They were emotional yes but both were measure and remarkably calm. Han you can tell was more emotional but that because his heart was breaking.

I thought it was the best scene of Act III hands down. I honestly wouldn't mind if it lasted another minute or two. Better then listening to Maz remember about non-sense and give Rey a lightsaber that committed a holocaust against children.

Anleifr likes this.
  7. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    So, could it have been the ending, between Rey and Luke?

8. Teamx

Teamx Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    There's no implication of that in the ending in my opinion, it's basically just to dramatacise the return of Mark Hamil more than anything. Rey walks a thousand steps and presents the sabre to Luke. He's visibly sad but afterall his best mate just died and 4 or so planets were destroyed. Even Leia is shown to feel the loss of Han.

9. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Yeah people are reading too much into that scene. I do think there is supposed to be a physical symbolism in that Rey giving Luke his old lightsaber back is trying to bring him hope given all that is happened and it played pretty good but wasn't worth using a useless plot device to get there.

Anleifr

Not sure what you mean by that.

10. Anleifr

Dec 17, 2015
    Oh, the whole "I am your father" moment that JJ said that would be. I was thinking maybe that moment was between Rey and Luke but I haven't seen it yet so I don't know how that scene was lol

11. Phroggie

Phroggie Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2015
    I've got a theory which relates to this: Luke sees visions of the future and what is coming. Unlike in the OT he has now matured and realises to interfere would make everything worse, realising that events need to play out as they do. He's aware that Han is going to die, he hides Rey and goes into hiding until he's "called back" and Rey finds him. He planned R2-D2 to react to Rey's coming so they can find him.

Another point I'd like to make about Rey defeating Ren... she may not have used a light sabre before, but the film does show she's an accomplished street fighter - fighting off 2 fully grown men with her staff. I also suspect that Ren has never been trained to fight with a sabre, the way he uses it is pretty sloppy... it's his anger and rough use of the force where his power shines.

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    JJ pretty much contradicts this. Check the R2 wakes up thread.

13. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    This thread was something I avoided like the plague (no pun attended) down the stretch. It was fun going through the heavy spoilers, reviews, comments and initial reactions. I almost think the mods should archived this bad-boy somehow - "Official Initial Reactions to Early Screening of TFA" but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.