main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Also, so happy to see a superhero who actually WANTS to be a superhero.

GenAntilles likes this.
  2. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    ugh. I just don't think Snyder's aesthetic fits Superman at all. Just, even the classic Superman theme will be so out of place if they use it in this movie. Bleh.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    SuperJesus

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If I recall they said they would not be using the classic theme at any point in the movie.

5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    well. yup. sounds about right.

6. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Looks better than its previous teaser.

7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Fascinating stuff!

Ever since Watchmen I have great confidence in Zack Snyder. In fact, I consider him to be one of the most interesting "big budget Hollywood" directors of the past few years. He is capable of combining silent character moments with dazzling, unparalleled visuals. He uses the medium of film to its fullest capacity. The shot set-ups of his films, wow!

I've never been a huge Superman film, but this is possibly the one film I'm most looking forward to next year.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Perry White: Uh huh. And where's this "Superman", now?
    Jimmy Olsen: ... he's doing his Neo thing.

(Also, I like that Supes' flight is seemingly portrayed as straight up gravity manipulation, or a TK thing, or whatever. Uh. What I'm trying to say is that I like the swirly swirl of swirl around the balled fist prior to take off.)

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The original Donner Superman film was hands down the best comic book film of all time, in my opinion. And, Superman remains my favourite comic-book superhero of all time. So naturally, I'm excited to see this - I even enjoyed Superman Returns, but just a little bit. I'm also glad they're not trying to redo the Donner film, because as Returns showed us, it can't be done.

Anyone thinking Superman can't doubt himself - I'm assuming you've never read Superman? Go and grab a copy of the Paul Dini/Alex Ross book "Peace on Earth".

Great trailer, loved the shot of Superman walking across the ice with the cape billowing.

Now, what this thread needs is grumpy old man Wocky to come in and list all the things he doesn't like, from the cost of his medicine to the frequency of buses in his area, to the things he saw in the trailer.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks great. First impression of Cavill is really good, down to the facial expression on the ice. Cinematography is stunning.

Very strong trailer, can pick up on some Nolan in the little bit of storyline we know. Good sign, I hope, this is the one I'm looking forward to most next yr.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Got me. Sold. Awesome. I had doubts until now. Take my money.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It will dare to be a Superman movie without plot, characters, or coherence.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, my first thought after the trailer was over was "That's my Superman," so I'm at least cautiously optimistic. Looks good.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Where have I heard that music before?

Darth_Invidious and Life like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I am of the opinion that Nolan's Batman is how he views Superman without super powers.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    There are Nolanesque qualities to the trailer, but it strikes a much different done than the Dark Knight trilogy. The music has a beautiful quality to it that adds to the trailer. I'm ... cautiously excited for this?

Edit: Hans Zimmer's doing the music. That explains the high quality of it.

17. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Does anyone know if that's taken from the actual score? I assume it's still placeholder music, in which case, it's a step up from the LOTR track they used for the first teaser (it was far too familiar to be stolen- it was from the aftermath of Gandalf's death, for goodness sake), and a marked step down from Zimmer's stirring Journey To The Line which they used for the Comic Con trailer.

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    A weirdo with throat cancer?

Also, I don't have any thoughts about this trailer. But then, I've never really had much impression of any of the Superman films. So I guess we'll see what happens. Hopefully something more will be at stake than someone attempting to build continents when the world already confronts some problems associated with overpopulation.

EDIT: Wait wait wait. Apparently that was the first trailer. This new thing. . .my opinion was most favorable when the music made me think it was Gladiator. Give me a moment to chew over everything else.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I almost don't want to even respond to that crap. Weirdo with throat cancer? WTF.

Both are do-gooders. In the comics they are at times at odds in their views. But Nolan's application of each looks like a a hero who cannot help but be the hero. Batman is Sueprman without powers. As a result he may have to be darker than Superman, rougher, and float at time son the shady side of morality. Batman and the Joker are not two sides of the same coin, Batman and Superman are and I bet Nolan helps deliver that idea in this reboot.

20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001

Is this a joke? Did you not see Suckerpunch?

21. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Nobody saw Sucker Punch.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    He is making fun of Bale's batman voice.

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Very interesting, I like it.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think we watched a different take on Batman. Superman, from what we can see here, isn't a reluctant hero because nobody else can. He's trying to figure out his role in the world. From what we can tell, there's incidents in his youth where Clark has used his powers and Jonathon has tried to discourage that. Mostly, we could infer, because he feared what would happen to his son if the world got their hands on him and stopped him growing up as a normal human.

Contrast that with Batman, who in Begins made a conscious decision to right wrongs and has let it be an obsession. Forget the terrible nonsense that was Dark Knight Rises; for the most part, he was fuelled by an obsessive need.

GenAntilles likes this.
  25. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Agree completely except on the whole 'Dark Knight Rises being terrible nonsense' part. :p

This Superman seems to be struggling between his two fathers wish for him. Jor-El apparently wanting and believing Kal-El will become a symbol and moral leader for humanity and help them raise themselves above their human nature. While Johnathan Kent is afraid that the world isn't ready for someone like Clark, and he should try to just be human. And Johnathan may have a point, as a human he knows that humanity loves one thing more than a hero, and that's tearing a hero down.

The dilemma Superman seems to face in this movie isn't is he a hero, but will humanity let him be there hero. Will they let him be their savior, or to use a religious analogy, will they praise his name one day then shout crucify him the next. Will humanity let Superman save them?

With Batman he was going to do what he was going to do regardless of whether Gotham wanted him or not. He knew he needed to set Gotham right and he didn't care whether the people saw him as hero or villain. He was whatever Gotham needed him to be.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.