main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    days of flying
    tree of superman

2. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    The lamenting sounding female vocal. The teal/amber colour co-ordination. This looks pretty by the books to me. It looks utterly uninspired. :(

3. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I'm on board, but Snyder's films always look good in trailers.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok so not to derail the thread, but;

1) He takes 8 years off because Maggie Gyllenhaal dies. HIS PARENTS DIED AND HE BECAME THE BAT.
    2) If the plan was revenge, why do this elaborate plan with a fusion bomb when for a fraction of the cost and effort, you could have gotten a dirty bomb or three and then killed Bruce Wayne when he was balls deep
    3) They bankrupt Wayne by short selling...? Do you even understand how the stock market works?
    4) The leg brace which he needed to walk and could help him kick through bricks (not Banes, mind) is suddenly no longer needed?
    5) Some kid sees Bruce Wayne and recognises the international angry orphan I'm Batman look in the eyes?

If you don't mind swearing: http://smodcast.com/episodes/ralph-garman-the-diss-knight-returns/

But yes, you're right about the Jesus/God analogy for Superman. The idea that an invincible, benevolent force would exist and not enslave us is something ordinary men would wrestle with. One assumes Superman gets this, hence the scene of him in cuffs.

Jedi Merkurian , Life and Bacon164 like this.
  5. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I saw Sucker Punch and it's actually my favorite Snyder movie.

unfortunately.

Life likes this.
  6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Isn't that a bit like people who commented that Mitt Romney was their most preferred candidate from the Republican primaries?

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Mitt Romney actually was my most preferred of the Republican candidates too.

8. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I will not derail the thread. I will not derail the thread... [face_praying]
    1. Well not so much Maggie died as he had destroyed the mob and gave Gotham a white knight martyr in Harvey, the Batman wasn't needed anymore
    2. This was the same League who tried to destroy Gotham with fancy microwave emitters and monorails... practical has never been their motif.
    3. I'll admit that needed to be handled better.
    4. He got better? Or he just decided to ignore the pain?
    5. Maybe Blake has Sherlock Holmes style detective skills, he is the new Batman after all.

I agree, the scene of him in cuffs is very powerful. Not only as it shows he surrenders to us, but that at any moment he can choose to escape. They can't hold him, he let them take him in.

But the real difference between Batman and Superman is that everyone can hate or love Batman it won't change his mission. With Superman... if the people don't love and believe in him... he can't complete his mission because that IS his mission.

Darth_Invidious and Life like this.
  9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I've heard a detractor describe that movie as "feminism with panty shots".

10. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i watched batman begins last night not having seen it since it debuted in theaters and man are the whole last thirty minutes terrible. i mean everything that happens. razzle goo and his tiny little mri scanner thing, with batman's girlfriend standing right there as they're turning it on, the little side-narrative with those water plant guys (PHEW THAT WAS CLOSE!!!), the gordon "WHOOAAAAAAAAA" stuff, the corny-ass setup of the sequel (OH, THE JOKER!!! AWESOME, DUDE!!!). i almost choked on my own voms!

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I would frankly be sort of frightened if you had said anything else.

Antilles: The main problem with that film is that Bane's motives are completely incoherent. Ras wanted to destroy Gotham because of the organized crime that is no longer a problem there. So why would the League still want to destroy it? And if simple revenge is the motive, why use some plot that would have re-introduced the problem of social degeneracy that Ras had spent his whole life trying to erase?

JediOverlord: There's nothing appreciably feminist about that movie. Just a bunch of half-naked girls doing mindless karate action. Even in it's attempt feeble attempt to have the main character assert some agency, the whole thing still leans exclusively on the idea of the female exercising influence primarily (read: solely) as a sex object.

Life likes this.
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Not a fan of the trailer music at all. Nothing inspiring. Actually was grating after a while. Still not sure I like the direction they're going in.

Life likes this.
  13. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Also:
    [​IMG]

Life, JoinTheSchwarz and Ender_Sai like this.
  14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I thought incoherent motives were de rigueur for Batman villains, though?

Not gonna reply directly to that post, but. Yeah mostly this.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, I thought Batman Begins did a good job of giving its antagonist a clearly defined motive and conflict with Wayne. The sequels did an increasingly poor job of this, the second film begging off having to try with the excuse that the Joker was insane.

tom likes this.
  16. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well Bane doesn't have the same motives as Ras. Talia is in it for revenge, Bane's motives are likely a mix. He believes Gotham and western civilization as a whole is decadent and corrupt and beyond any possibility of saving. Organized crime to him isn't as big, he views those wall street bankers the same as organized crime. They all feed off of the weak. As to how much of his 'revolution' was just acting... that's debatable. All in all I liked Rises the best of the trilogy, felt more like Batman than the other two.

Also anyone want to speculate on Zod? I'm interested to see how he'll work with Superman. Will he be more of a well intentioned extremist who wants to conquer Earth to give it the kind of order a superpowered kryptonian can? Which will set up an interesting dynamic if Superman is the benevolent super-powered kryptonian that serves man.

I'll just add that if the Joker had clearly defined motives... he wouldn't be the Joker. The whole point of the Joker is that he has no logical or rational reason for what he does. He just does it. He's chaos. That's why Batman has such trouble with him, he can't fathom the idea of someone who doesn't have a core reason for what he does.

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    I like it! It looks good. Not great, but that remains to be seen. I dislike the plaintive choral singing, but I'm hoping that will absent or down-played in the film. My wife thinks the trailer makes Superman look weak, but I think you gotta knock the Man down a bit before he stands back up again and zaps you with his heat vision.

Henry Cavill looks the most like the DC Comics Superman of any actor in the role, ever, and that includes You-Know-Who.

GenAntilles likes this.
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How dare you, sir.

Seriously though, no he doesn't. Not more than any other actor.

19. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    I think it's good that he seems weak. Superman on Earth practically lives in a world of glass. He can't lose control even for a moment. And him being meek and weak work for his character. He has the power to wipe out the Earth anytime he wants to, but he'll let you push him down in a hallway and just give you a 'hey, that was rude'

And yeah, Henry Cavill definitely has that Superman look down.

Also I like plaintive choral singing...

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Has anyone ever read "Peace on Earth"?

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  21. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    One word about a relatively small part of the trailer. Every single time I see it, the expression in Jor-El's eyes as he and Lara apparently say farewell to their son utterly slays me. Crowe's subtlety here is just amazing.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope this brings about a possible franshise.

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm pretty satisfied with the trailer, overall. It seems to show a Superman who's struggling with his identity and his role, but it doesn't look grim -- it gives the impression of a Superman who comes to have a lot of confidence in himself and his mission and the ability of humanity to ultimately embrace him. The one thing I don't really care for is the idea that Jonathan was for his covering up his abilities above all else. Fearful of the consequences I buy, but suggesting that Clark should have let a busload of kids die so that nobody might possibly get the idea that he's different? I'd like to see the Kents with a bit of a stronger moral compass than that. They're supposed to be the ones instilling him with values, not telling him to let kids die because it's more important to be normal and innocuous than to do good.

Bacon164 likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    To be fair, we likely didn't see the entirety of that scene in the trailer, it could very well be when we see the full movie that the next line after that "maybe" is, "No, you shouldn't have, but you need to be more careful about that." or hopefully some line of dialogue along those lines.

25. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I saw that more as Johnathan struggling to realize he can't keep Clark from his destiny. And as a father who just wants him safe the fact that the world knowing about his powers and the fact they could reject him or see him as a threat likely worries him a lot. So his 'maybe' was more of a father trying to find a way to keep his son out of the firing line than something he actually believes.

Life and Juliet316 like this.