main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    For the record, I'm chewing my nails as much as anyone about Zack-who-cares-about-the-theme-or-the-characters-so-long-as-we-get-some-CGI-blood-flying-in-there-Snyder directing my favourite superhero. As if Superman weren't already iconic enough, Donner's original film is one of those films I regard as pretty damn definitive on capturing Superman more or less as intended, which is why it's been hard as hell to make a sequel or reboot it. Hell, even love letters to the film thirty years down the line don't do it justice.

But when it comes to concerns about the Kents not encouraging Clark to use his powers for good, you've got to remember Pa Kent (Glenn Ford in a wonderful casting choice; what's a superhero if not the "adopted son" of old-time Western heroes?) saying this (paraphrasing, I can't remember the line verbatim) in response to Clark's desire to show his powers openly: "When we first found you, we thought that people would try to take you away if they found out you were here. But as time goes on, you get older, and things suddenly get very clear. And one thing I know is that you were put on this planet for a reason. I don't know whose reason, or who decided... (he shrugs with a wry grin) But I do know one thing: it's not to score touchdowns." From memory in the Donner film, Ma Kent doesn't speak to Clark on this topic, only emphasises Clark to remember the Kents and that she'll miss him. And remember the end scenes of the film, where Jor-El's voice sternly demands Superman not interfere with human history at one shoulder, and Pa Kent reminds Clark he's there for a reason. That's about all the contribution the Kents have to the film, or at least to Superman's character. (That, and giving this 10-or-so-kid-when-he-first-saw-Superman a perennial fear of heart attacks after John Ford's last scene... :( )

Looking at that most recent trailer, Costner's lines (which I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's a great casting choice) doesn't really sound that different to Glenn Ford. Ford's line says Clark's on Earth for a reason; Costner's dialogue just says Clark has to figure out that reason for himself. (The line is that he believes Clark is in the world for a reason, and that "even if it takes Clark the rest of his life, Clark owes it to himself to discover that reason". It's Jor-El who offers the lines about Clark's destiny, about the possibility of a child wishing to exceed society's expectations. That sounds to me like reversing the positions of Pa Kent and Jor-El in the Donner film -- Pa Kent being uncertain or negative about Clark making an impact on the world, while Jor-El seems to be firmly for it. Both sides of the argument are still there.

I've got to say I'm most hopeful not because of the effects, but because of Costner and Crowe's performances just in those clips. They tugged at my heartstrings, they really did. If a director can actually get some actual acting out of Kevin Costner that resonates, he can't screw up the rest of the film ... can he?

P.S.: Copypasta'ing from the RPF, but the first gif is in.

[​IMG]

Proves the Internet is actually good for something. :D

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    That's an awesome gif.

But remember, Donner's Jor-El also wanted Kal-El to have an impact on human society. A big impact at that, he wants him to be "a light to show the way" to how humans can become a "great people". And he says that above all, that's the reason he sent him there for. The 'not interfering in human history' part seems to me to be directly related to changing the past, i.e. it seems to be just a dramatic tool to add defiance to his decision to spin the earth backwards at the end, and provide a compelling reason for why he doesn't do that all the time.

3. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I just see it as a slight change in emphasis. Anyway, I'm not quite ready to do anything silly to my wrists yet, based only on the strength of Crowe and Costner's performances. :p :p

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The comments about leading humanity to greatness/neo-Messiah were certainly a part of the Donner film (which is the single best comic book movie ever, Avengers and Dark Knight cannot hold a torch in comparison). Remember how powerful the Superman Returns teaser was, just using the Marlon Brandon narration?

Juliet316 , Saintheart, Life and 2 others like this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    That's always been one of my all time favorite teasers. The voice of Brando's Jor-El and the use of the Krypton theme sold me right away, even if the final product failed to live to that level of epicness.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    That really was such a damn good teaser. And I am still one of those people who liked SR a lot.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    That remains to this day my favourite movie teaser. And I happen to like Superman Returns as a film as well.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I always liked the SR teaser along with the film itself.

9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    But only one of them can speak with a vaguely English accent.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Except both the Costner and Crowe Robin Hood films sucked.

yankee8255 likes this.
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    That doesn't nullify the serendipity of it.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I pointed that on here weeks ago. Where are my plaudits?

14. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  16. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Reboot Jor-El. More awesome.

[​IMG]

FatBurt likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Incidentally, are we taking sweepstakes yet on whether and how they might reference "Kneel Before Zod" in the film? I mean, if they're going to raise the eyebrow with washing out Superman's name in a burst of static, I reckon there's plenty of room for them to have, I dunno, Zod's girlfriend maybeohcrapmymindjustwenttothedamngutter--

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Unlike some Jor-Els, he can speak with an Eng - wait, I already made this joke.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  19. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I know, I was plagiarising you :D

20. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    It's funny, a similar notion occurred to me while composing that post: Here I am complaining about stuff most people don't seem to care about, but which is weirdly important to me. People will think I'm the new Wocky!

But hey. If wondering why the yellow portions of the famous 'S' must be smudged with charcoal is an "esoteric" concern, guilty as charged! If caring that the Kents instill Clark with a moral center is esoteric, then neither the fanbase nor the masses understand the character as well as I might have thought. If disliking scales superimposed on a smooth costume is esoteric... well, okay, you probably have me there. :cool:

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm with you on the Kents, for the most part. I think that Superman, possibly alone in the superhero pantheon, is one of / the one superhero who shouldn't have shades of grey. I think he really should be, as noted, a "big ... Boy Scout." I understand that the world is moving towards wanting "realism" (if you can call the Batman movies that) and they tried to do this I suppose with Birthright, etc. but I don't feel that our myths and fables (basically the "best us") should necessarily have to follow suit.

I know I may be in the minority and I know plenty of people, my friends included, who feel the opposite -- but that's where I am.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Where are the Kents not teaching him morals? They're trying to protect their son, something every version of the Kents do.

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think this particular complaint comes from Jonathan seemingly (italics because it's an edited trailer) telling Clark that maybe he should have let a bus full of kids die in the previous trailer..

I personally think that's an editing trick and not what the scene will be about, but I can see where complaints might start coming in. I was jarred by that the first time until my movie knowledge crept in...

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It'll probably have more to do with Clark protecting his identity, not neglecting to save a bus full of people.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Is it bad that I didn't even recognize Costner as Jonathan Kent in that trailer?