main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST If you thought Finn was a Red Herring, think about Rey

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by rhymecheat, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rhymecheat

rhymecheat Jedi Master star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Rey is the biggest red herring you will ever admit to have fallen for. They make you think she's a Skywalker. That girl, is a Solo.

Let's begin:

Apple don't fall far from the tree
    How did Ben Solo fall into the dark side? There must be doubt for the dark to lure you. For Ben Solo, it was his father... His father was not around very much:

After being seduced into the dark side Ben Solo proceedes to massacre the entire Jedi Academy. Luke manages to stop him when there was only one padawan left: Rey (I imagine that is not her name). Now Luke delivers her to Leia and leaves in shame of what happened to Ben. Leia decides she won't let the same happen to little Rey. And since her father thinks "there is too much Vader in him (Ben)" and given the relationship Han had with his kids, Leia doesn't tell Han that Rey survived and instead decides to take a page from the the book of Ben Kenobi (which she named her son after... oh the irony) and keep her safe far away from her brother.
    Still, who does she trust to send her child away? Chewie and Lor San Tekka.

We'll always have Jakku
    When the movie starts, Lor San Tekka is in Jakku. Why is that? He's there to keep an eye on "little" Rey. From a distance, but hey, he's still on the same planet. If that was random than it really is a small galaxy. He always kept in touch with Leia, in fact, Leia told Poe Lor San Tekka had a map that pointed to Luke.
    And Chewie... He left Rey in Jakku, but did not leave her alone, he left something else: The Millenium Falcon. You thought it was just a coincidence for the MF to be there? Nah, too many coincidences.

Until we leave Jakku
    When Han get's back on the MF he asks where did she find it. When he finds out the MF was in Jakku what does he say to Chewie? "I told you we should have double checked the Western Reaches". Chewie probably talked him out of it, again... it fits. He didn't want Han to know he left it there.

Instant Connection
    Han and Rey connect pretty easly no? They even finish each other sentences. This is just a nice pointer. Han even offers her a job.
    Rey even connects to Chewie. Now Chewie hasn't seen this girl in ages. But he likes her.

Han likes her too, but would never say it. He's Han Solo, he has difficulties in displaying affection. Which also cause the problems he had with his son. Again, fits.

In the End
    Leia. She doesn't know Rey came from Jakku. In fact the movie was very careful to only introduce them at the very end for just a little bit. No big talks. She can't ask about her daughter to Lor San Tekka because he's dead and so she's left in the dark. In reality she could be able to sense her daugther but in the midst of loosing Han she might be thrown off her sensing skills. After all, she is not very trained and Rey is just starting to harness the power of the Force so she may not be giving a lot of "vibes".
    Chewie. Who is now free to roam wherever but decides to stick around and help Rey. He helped the father, now he's going to help the daughter. Even if he doesn't know... it's just destiny.

A Skywalker
    So if Rey is a Solo, are the Skywalkers done!? No... not really. There is one laying right there. But that is a story for another thread.

Mav Edit: We have a thread for discussion on Rey's Lineage/Parents, you can find it HERE.

morrison85, rdhight and Sarge like this.
  2. Tharionn

Tharionn Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2015
    So do you think Finn is a Skywalker?

3. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    how do they make you think she is a skywalker in the movie?
    There is absolutely no info on her.

4. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    The hints point to a Skywalker: The Saber going to her; Thinks of the island luke is in; Fast pickup on The Force. Things like these made many think she is Lukes daugther.

Yes.

5. turnip white

turnip white Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2014
    They stick out like a sore thumb don't they, bye :rolleyes:

6. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    Not sure where this is going.

Almost everyone correctly predicted that Rey was going to be the focal point of the story and so far that's exactly how it played out. She's the expert pilot, mechanic, linguist, fighter and future Jedi who will save the universe. There are absolutely no surprises there. People are already trying to attach her to the Skywalker family, the Solo family, the Kenobi family and in some cases even Emperor Palpatine. Rey is exactly what is promised; she's the next chosen one. Right now the only questions we have about Rey are concerning how powerful and awesome she will become in the sequels and which important Star Wars family she is tied into. With Finn the real question is whether he will even become a competent sidekick to the main hero.

7. Tharionn

Dec 24, 2015
    I sure hope he's more than a side kick.

rhymecheat

What makes you say that?

8. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    At the moment, the absense of a Skywalker. If there is one (and I think there is one) he has already been introduced. JJ and Rian are good at this sort of thing.

This post is not to say Rey won't be the main character, she is. This post is to say that there is something special coming. And Rey was only part of it.

9. Tharionn

Dec 24, 2015
    I don't mean to be the one to point out the obvious but shouldn't he be...a tad bit lighter. At least maybe mixed?

10. Rock76

Rock76 Jedi Knight

Dec 26, 2015
    Finn is a Windu imo

Rey might be a Solo ? possible
    Skywalker ? possible
    Kenobi ? possible
    pretty hard to tell

11. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015

Sure, it's a valid point. But again, might not be him, I just don't think it's Rey.

I Finn like putting Finn in the title and hinting to a Skywalker lineage derrailed the thought I wanted to make pretty quick lol

12. TieFlyer

TieFlyer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    I also believe Rey trained with Luke before the incident. I came to that conclusion because of a single scene in the movie, but would like to know if you are just guessing or also saw something in the movie that pointed towards that direction.

Regarding your theory on Rey Solo... hummm... I don't completely buy it.
    For example:
    - Why doesn't Kylo remember he had a sister, which he would be looking for, and who should have Rey's age and the force.
    - There's also the clue from Maz, which practically links Rey with Luke and Vader when giving her the lightsaber.
    - And another small things, like: the Falcon was not left in Jakku; the merchant stole it from someone who stole it from someone who stole it from Han. Could be anywhere in the universe. If this happened in Jakku, surely Han and Chewie would had look there that second time, and third, and fourth.

Just my opinion...

13. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    I did not catch this in my viewings. I was assuming she had previous training due to how quickly she picked up the ways of the Force.

- Ren may remember a sister. I don't think the movie dismisses it. Also, in the novel, when the lightsaber goes to Rey instead of Ren, Ren says: "It is you"... That could show he realized she is someone he knows;
    - Maz said her family is never coming back (Han is not if he doesn't even know she's alive). Then she says that someone could come back. She never says it's Luke, Rey says that;
    - "The marchant stole, from someone who stole, from someone who stole" case already took place in Jakku because Rey knows about it. The question is how did it get there. They stole it from Han, but Chewie could have fooled him, its a stretch :D.

Again, I'm just speculating all of this :)

14. TieFlyer

TieFlyer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 24, 2015
    Remember how Anakin had to cut his hair when he began training with Obi Wan? Well, In the scene where Rey remembers the day when she was left in Jakku, she looks like a Padawan; short hair, clothing, etc... I know it could be that she just always had her hair short and many people in the saga dress like that, but there's also the issue of leaving her in Jakku alone (probably Max Von Sydow looked over her, as you said), as if they were protecting her from Kylo; who began killing all of Luke's padawans. If she is related to any of them, I can't think of a better reason to hide her... and then the fact that she picked up the force quite easily; though Luke also did.

Well, I'm not referring to that part of Maz's dialogue, I'm referring to when she said: "Luke had it [the lightsaber], his father had it, and now you'll have it", or something like that. She is clearly linking the Skywalker line with her; don't you think?

15. rhymecheat

Dec 22, 2015
    Ah, that part. First a remark: That lightsaber was almost a character itself in this movie, no? That's weird.

Yes, Maz did say the lightsaber was now calling to Rey. But she shares bloodties doesn't she? We could see the ligthsaber recognizing a Skywalker, not necessarily an offspring of Luke.
    The connection is implied, but still, it's not a confirmation.

16. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    The blue lightsaber was used in conflicts whose fulcrum included, 'humans you are not related to to whom you cannot get closer', and 50% shared alleles. Yes, you can use the blue lightsaber to signal an upcoming conflict whose fulcrum is 'humans you are not close to' and/or 12.5% shared alleles. It can be done. If the lightsaber, itself, has meaning for what it went through or was used for, and Luke is one living exponent of the need to rein in attachment to either non-related or related humans, and Rey is showing any hint of 1) being related 2) being close 3) being susceptible to the expediency of the dark side... there is dramatic advantage to Rey being a Solo, and Luke being the key to Rey knowing how to NOT do the things that the blue lightsaber represents. I like to think that Leia sent Rey to Luke carrying this blue lightsaber in the manner that Hamlet sent Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to England with his own unsuspected written instructions. In this case, Leia is telling Luke that Rey, unbeknownst to Rey, and using this blue lightsaber as a shared history spanning symbol, needs the same kind of instruction in attachment and impatience that Luke needed if she is to, after all that waiting, 1) learn who her father was and then 2) face Ren without annihilating him. Just me.

rhymecheat likes this.