main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you value your books...

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Darth-Dispicable, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I am the type of person that will read a book, and then keep if forever and reread it later down the road. Well, when I was younger and left home for the Navy I left all my books in the care of my parents, what a mistake that was.

When I came home at the end of my enlistment I found that many of my books where missing (about 1/2 of them), when I asked my parents they claimed they did not know what happened to them.

Now it is 10 years later and I am finally replacing many of the books that I "lost", and it is costing me a lot of money. That is why I am posting this, so you don't have to go through the same thing 10 years from now.

Take my advice, do not entrust your books to your parents. Or you can ignore this and possibly be in the same position I am now in.

2. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Other people with my books :eek:

Never!

3. LordJoda-181

LordJoda-181 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2004
    When I enlist My Books are being Packed in Boxes Labeled "Money" and "Joey's Will" That should keep them safe.

4. Gabriel-Sama

Gabriel-Sama Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 24, 2004
    Fortunately, my parents are quite respectful of my things. They understand the importance of reading and since my mother died as I finished my first major (300 page) book, reading has been important to me. My books are different journeys, even the ones I didn't like. My parents understand that and value their impact on my life. I believe I can entrust them with my books seeing that I entrust them with my life.

Perhaps you could try communicating with them the importance they had for you.

5. TraxxasJedi

TraxxasJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2004
    Well I wouldn't worry. I'ld pack them and put them somewhere that my parents would never go. Then lable them "'insert name' books. Lose/sell them and die", just to be safe.

But seriously I would never have to worry about them. My parents would never sell them. They know the books mean so much to me. (proved by the fact I have so many. Check my sig...)

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    I always keep my books, and make sure they're safe while I'm here at college and seperated from them. as soon as I get a permanent place of my own, I fully intend of making sure they are all in my own personal care from that point on.

7. LordJoda-181

Mar 8, 2004
    My Parents are both big readers but they say that when I move out (I'm the youngest) that they are moving to a smaller house and not moving me and my siblings stuff with it. So if I'm on base halfway around the world that could present a problem, hence the money and Will Labels

8. NaboosPrincess

NaboosPrincess Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 14, 2001
    Sorry you had a bad situation with your books, Darth-Dispicable. I left most of my books at home as well but haven't had any problems yet. Maybe if the house caught on fire it would be an issue but in general my family takes care of all my Star Wars things. And none of them even understands what the EU is, so I don't think my novels will be walking off for pleasure reading any time soon.

9. LordJoda-181

Mar 8, 2004
    I talk about the EU so much my sister thaught it was a class in school I don't have to worry about pleasure reading kidnaps either

10. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    *looks at bookshelves*

My mother knows not to do anything to my books. I've got 100s of them. Some of them are packed in boxes, some of them are on the shelves downstairs, some are on my multiple sets of shelves in my room.

Naturally, my SW ones are closest to my desk. :D

I'm sorry you lost your books. I'd be really, really upset if I lost mine (esp since a good number of them are signed).

Dana

11. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Thats really scary....

I hope my books are OK !!!

[face_worried]

12. Aquarius_1977

Aquarius_1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2004
    Fortunately for me, my mother respects me and my property so my things are safe with her as far as that goes. I did, however, lose a bunch of my SW memorabilia to her leaky basement some time back--magazines and scrapbooks with articles dating back to the 80's. I was majorly disappointed but it wasn't her fault; there had been heavy rains while she was on vacation and the pump that's supposed to take care of that never kicked on.

13. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I trust my mother, its my father I don't trust. He's always looking for a quick buck or throwing out stuff he doesn't see as useful. If I left my stuff, any of my stuff, he'd probably sell it. So I'll probably end up putting my stuff in boxes and storage. Man that'll be expensive.

looks around at his stuff

14. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    That's why I'm planning on having my sister hold 'em, she understands the value of books. Of course considering how she feels about the military, she'll probably burn 'em just to spite the fact I got into a better school, and am going into the military...

15. Leia214

Leia214 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    I never even loan my paperbacks to people I know - they either come back with spine broken in half, dog-eared pages, spills, ripped covers. I learned my lessons!

Luckily my family is a "book" family for the most part - everyone has stacks of books everywhere.

j

16. Barbatis_Rahl

Barbatis_Rahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2004
    Trust someone with the only thing i buy with that dosent deal with the computer...Never going to happen. Though my parents tend to stay away from my stuff.

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Other people with my books

Never!

I trust a few friends with my books. One got destroyed (not my friends fault. It was in his families car when it got totaled.) and he replaced it. I think they are somewhat afraid of being cut off as I have more SW books and comics than the library system.

18. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    My parents know better than to mess with my things, especially my books.

19. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Most of my collection is Sci-Fi or classics, if in a decade I can't find them, I need only look as far as the bargain bin at the nearest thrift store. :p

In seriousness, that sucks mate. Hope you solve the mystery eventually.

20. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    man that sucks worse than my flood...two years ago.

I can't believe your parents were so negligent.

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Damn, that sucks. I totally know what you mean. I am rather protective of my books, especially my nearly complete Star Wars Expanded Universe collection, 84 novels out of 90 or so. The only person in my family who reads my books is my brother and he's the only person I would lend my SW novels to since he actually respects my books, but my parents know that I would be incredibly up set something were to happen to them, especially since it has taken me at least a decade to build my collection.

22. SithMan1138

SithMan1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2005
    i might trade in my books except for a second edition of Splinter of the Minds Eye. old a good

23. djcati

djcati Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2004
    haha, I remembered this topic the other day and told my mum about it, and she said, "sounds like a great idea."

o_o!

I think I'll be taking all my SW books with me when I go to uni... XD;

24. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    Ok, not books, but...

As a kid, I had most of the original vintage line of Star Wars toys, I had the cardboard Death Star, the Falcon, Hoth playset, Dagobah, all the mini-rigs and Xwings and Ties. Plus all the fiures and a stack of other accessories, when I was about 14, some of them got packed up and some stuff got kept out as display, I moved house with my family when I was 16, and never unpacked them, but I knew they were there and I still treasured them.

When I was 18, in 1990, I left for Infantry boot camp.

When I came home, my mother hands me $100, I ask her what it's for.

"Oh, that's what I got for selling all those old toys of yours."

15 Years later, and she still hesitates to mention toys or Star Wars anywhere near me. [face_plain]

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    :eek: OMG! If that was me I would have used that new found ability to kill with my thumbs and showed my parents EXACTLY what I though of them doing that.I feel for you buddy. You had original action figures and you got like $100 for them. That must have really SUCKED.

I think the message of this thread is if you value your SW collection, don't let ANYONE near it under pain of death.

If I ever move out of my parents house my SW stuff is going with me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.