main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If you were the one who wrote out Star Wars....

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fulcon, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Here are my changes:

Remove subtitle "Episode IV: A New Hope" from Star Wars.

Remove "Episode V" from The Empire Strikes Back.

Remove "Episode VI" from Return of the Jedi.

All done.;)

2. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    As I was plotting out the story changes for my version of the Star Wars Saga, another interesting thought came to me: If the world had never known Star Wars, and you were the one making the movies in the present day, who would you have direct them and what modern actors would you cast in the principle roles? They don?t have to look like the originals; they only need to fill the role in the story.

[b]My top three choices of director would be?[/b]

3) [b]Peter Jackson[/b] ([i]Lord of the Rings, King Kong[/i])

2) [b]Zack Snyder[/b] ([i]300, Watchmen[/i])

1) [b]Michael Bay[/b] ([i]Armageddon, Transformers[/i])

[hr]
    [b]As for the cast? [/b]
    (per my own treatment of the story; see above)

[b]Anakin Starkiller[/b]: Josh Duhamel ([i]Transformers[/i])

[b]Padme Amidala[/b]: Katherine Heigl ([i]Roswell, Grey?s Anatomy[/i])
    (other possible candidates: Hayden Panettiere, Carrie Underwood, Megan Fox)

[b]Darth Vader[/b]: Ian Somerhalder ([i]Smallville, Lost[/i])
    [b]
    General Kenobi[/b]: Christian Bale ([i]The Dark Knight, Terminator:Salvation[/i])

[b]Cos Da****[/b]: John Noble ([i]Return of the King, Fringe[/i])

[b]Kane Starkiller[/b]: Shia LaBeouf ([i]Transformers, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull[/i])

[b]Leia Organa[/b]: Kay Panabaker
    (other possible candidates: Rachael Leigh Cook, Anne Hathaway, Taylor Swift)

[b]Luke Starkiller[/b]: Shawn Ashmore ([i]X-Men, Smallville[/i])

[b]Han Solo[/b]: Ben Affleck ([i]Armageddon[/i]) or Will Smith ([i]Independence Day, Hancock[/i])

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Dude, that is a terrific and spot-on cast list. I particularly like Josh Duhamel for Anakin Starkiller; Josh used to play Leo on All My Children, which laugh if you will, was/is an extremely well-made and (for the most part) realistic soap opera. (Sara Michelle Gellar also got her start on the show.) I've been really excited to see Josh rise as a star, after seeing his amazing characterization as Leo in the early 2000s. He really would make a damn fine Anakin.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The Dianoga is much more threatening, and Princess Leia?s white dress gets completely wet in the trash compactor.

Amidst the broad strokes of your summary outline, I found your inclusion of this singular, specific detail to be most amusing. [face_laugh]

5. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    While I personally believe that several of my substitutes would prove superior to their originals (such as John Nobel in the role of the Emperor; anyone whose followed Fringe can testify that he's the most dynamic actor of our age, as opposed to Ian McDiarmid, whose portrayal of Palpatine in Episode III was on the level of a Batman villain from the '60s TV series), others such as Shia LaBeouf and Shawn Ashmore were thrown out simply because they are the only young male actors I know (I'm much more familiar with young female actress, for obvious reasons).

And no one, not even the great Will Smith himself, could ever replace Harrison Ford as Han Solo.

I was still picturing a nineteen year old Carrie Fisher when I wrote that. If it were Kay Panabaker (who's just the right age for Princess Leia now) instead, the Academy would be forced to create an Oscar category just for that scene alone!*

*Plus, not only is she the most gorgeous chick I've ever seen, she has a face that looks like she could be an actual princess, which is one of the key requirements for any chick who wants to portray Leia (just as the actress who plays Padme needs to be able to pull-off "girl next door" and "stylish and sophisticated" at the same time).

6. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Alright Rev, I'll play...

Director -- Alfonso Cuaron

Anakin Skywalker -- Christian Bale
    Padme Amidala -- Rachel Weisz
    Obi-Wan Kenobi -- Ralph Fiennes
    Palpatine -- Jeremy Irons

Luke Skywalker -- Elijah Wood
    Leia Organa -- Rebecca Hall (Frost/Nixon, The Prestige)
    Han Solo -- Clive Owen
    Lando Calrissian -- Jeffrey Wright
    V. of Darth Vader -- A very angry Christian Bale

7. Danaan

Danaan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2008
    Very interesting thread, lots of interesting ideas, especially from Rev.

I freely admit to being one of the "the Prequels sucked" crowd, but I do understand where the OP comes from in asking "waht would you have done"? Talk is cheap, eh? My biggest surprise on these forums when I first started here - which was, by the way, motivated by my frustration with the PT and what to do about it - was that all the PT re-writes in the Fan Fiction forum basically followed the PT very closely. My feeling was that the PT deviated so much from what I had expected from them when just having seen the OT (and this goes back to my imagining of what happened before Ep IV when I was a kid), that something much more radical was needed.

So, I sat down and started sketching. Now, not being as hardcore a fan as some others (I don't read any novels, for instance, cuz I find that the writing in them generally sux so much that my eyes hurt - I did the Zahn trilogy, but that's it) there is a lot in the EU that I'm simply not familiar with. For instance, I had never heard the rumour that Ben and Owen would be brothers, and since there wasn't even the slightest bit of a hint of that in what we see on the screen in OT, it had never even occured to me. Lo, and behold, it's right in the script of Ep VI, when Ben talks to Luke about Anakin, right after the scene is cut in the movie, there are two more lines in the script, where Obi-Wan explicitly talks about his brother Owen.:eek: I'm actually glad that didn't make it into the movie - there is too much family business going on anyway, with Anakin, Luke and Leia. Adding another family Force affair, I think, would have been a touch over the top. At least, I feel that way now.

Anyway, so I sat down and just disregarded everything but the information we get in the OT. Some of the basic presumptions I made:

"When I first met your father, he was already an excellent pilot, but I was surprised how strong the Force was with him" = When we first meet him, Anakin would be in his teens, cuz you have to have at least some pilot training. But he is also an unusually talented one, and can therefore be slightly younger than most of his peers (hence, late teen, rather than early 20s). I made him a cadet at the Republic Navy Academy - the very place Luke would later dream of getting into.

I also felt that Owen and Beru knew Anakin very well. The look they share when Luke has left the table "He's just got too much of his father in him", seems to speak volumes. It is also obvious that Owen doesn't like Ben at all. There is a history here. So I felt that would be excellent to explore.

I also felt that we should get to explore some locations that I was dying to see more of but we never got to really learn anything about. Alderaan stands out in this regard. I'm still working on Episodes 2 and 3. The last one is really a tough nut to crack. I want Anakin's fall to be tragic, and yet I'm not very satisfied with how it worked in canon. He is said to have been "seduced" by the dark side, and I want something closer to that than what we got. I also feel quite inspired by the metaphysical questions raised in the Heart of the Sith story in the Before the Saga forum, and wouldn't mind putting Anakin into a situation similar to what occurs there, at least with regards to philosophy and meta-physics. Anyway, Rev's thoughts were very interesting for this little project, and, well, [shameless plug] what I've produced is available through my sig, for those curious about details [/shameless plug].

8. Darth-Johnny-Cash

Darth-Johnny-Cash Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2009
    =D=

Thats why he's here.

9. Danaan

Apr 23, 2008
    Really like this bit.=D= Wish I had thought of it [face_laugh]

10. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Danaan, I agree with nearly all of your sentiments regarding the ways in which the prequels betrayed the expectations set for them by the Original Trilogy. This is despite the fact that I have never been a basher of the Prequel Trilogy. Thought my favorite movie in the Saga is A New Hope, nearly all of my favorite scenes and characters come from Episodes I-III. And while I'll admit The Phantom Menace was a huge misstep in terms of tone and story, I've always defended Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith as solid additions. Even some of the changes made by the Prequels are improvements in my opinion, such as the inclusion of Qui-Gon or use of a more expressive and articulate CGI Yoda instead of a puppet.

However, liking the Prequel Trilogy does not bar me or anyone else from preferring the back story first alluded to in the original Star Wars. I'd love to see not only more fan fiction exploring these alternate universes, but Infinity series as well, or even for the next George Lucas to craft a new science fiction world with such as an inspiration.

11. Danaan

Apr 23, 2008
    Fair enough. To each their own. To be more nuanced, I could add that there are many plot devices at the heart of the PT that are very attractive and plausible: the triggering of a political crisis to pave the way for Palpatine's ascension to power, the Clone wars to cement the same and make it possible for him to enact permanent "emergency powers" are just two such examples. I even like the basic idea that underlies ROTS - by trying to avoid a grim fate you actually fulfill it, which is obviously inspired from Greek tragedies. The problem, as far as I'm concerned, is the really poor and campy execution. Lucas is simply a terrible director, and while he's good with stories, he apparently should stay away from writing scripts, too. Indeed, in the OT, I find that ANH is the weakest link for the same reason.

And I certainly agree with you that Lucas tacked on some story twists after the fact - making the whole story a one family drama. The way Obi-Wan talks about Darth, it is clear that he was not intended as Luke's father originally. Still, this after construction I really don't mind, because it elevates the basic theme of the story above the ordinary "good guys vs bad guys" of adventure movies, to one of "what makes a good guy good?". And the rewards of this are reaped, with interest added, in the absolutely stunning climax of ROTJ, when Luke is totally cornered - he can't win by killing Vader, because that will only lead to Luke turning to the Dark Side. But if he doesn't try, his sister will be turned. Awesome!

Which is ultimately why a rewrite that eliminates this central theme will make the saga less potent, I feel.

But I still really like your ideas for the prequels, especially the bit about Anakin anguishing about leaving his best girl behind. And if one were to be completely faithful to what was presented in ANH, then yours seem as good a way of doing it as any I've heard of. Good work there!=D= And certainly a very interesting thought experiment.[face_thinking]

12. Rev

Rev Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    I'd like to apologize for the tone of this post. After rereading it, it comes off as accusatory, which was not my intent at all. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that Danaan had in some way inferred anything negative about those who like the prequels. I was addressing potential criticism that could have been made, but I did not distinguish that well from my compliments to Danaan.

13. Danaan

Apr 23, 2008
    Oh, no offense taken! It's a better discussion than many I've seen involving critique of the PTs.

14. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    In ROTJ, I would make the Empror give a fight before Vader just throws him over. Like mabye a mini lightsaber fight.

All exept for that, I would leave the OT the same as it is.

For the PT:

Almost all deleted scenes for every movie would remain intact.

Have Maul still kill Qui-Gon, but Maul would remain the villian unill AOTC. In AOTC, Anikan would kill Maul in revenge for Qui-Gon (It could show more of a reason for Anikans turning). With this said Count Dooku would be the "new apprentice in TCW and ROTS).

No Chewie in the PT.

No Boba in the PT. But Jango could remain intact.

C-3PO was not built by Vader, I dont know how he would fit into the PT, but he still belongs in there.

Change almost all of Anikans diolouge in AOTC.

General Grievous would be introduced in AOTC have more screentime.

Make the Sidious/Mace and the other Jedi Masters last longer, with Kit Fisto fighting but eventualy getting killed. Also Mace fighting Anikan instead of just getting his hand cut off.

15. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I said that I wasn't going to tell anybody how I would do the prequels until I was done writing out the outlines (to avoid contradicting myself later on). But hell - I have to get some of this off my chest! :D

Some things I would have done differently:

Yoda taught Obi-Wan, like it was said in the OT.

Qui-Gon would be Obi-Wan's first apprentice.

Anakin is a young man when Obi-Wan discovers him, around the same age Luke was in ANH.

Anakin had a human father who was strong in the Force. Who he was, what he was like, or what happened to him are mysteries.

The Jedi don't wear brown bathrooms. They wear black uniforms more-or-less identical to the one Luke wore in ROTJ.

Most of the Jedi weild blue lightsabers. The only known exceptions to the rule would by Mace Windu (purple) and Anakin (aqua, like it was in ANH).

The Clone Wars would have been a battle between the Republic and the Kaminoans, who would use clones as their foot soldiers.

Palpatine would be younger than he was shown to be in Lucas's film - younger than Anakin himself in fact.

Midichlorians would be ignored. They may exist and they may not. Who cares? They add nothing to the story.

The Jedi Purge would have been a lot longer - it would have spanned at least three to five years.

Padme would survive for at least a couple of years following the birth of the twins.

This isn't a definitive or complete list of what I would have done, but those are some of the main changes I would have made.

Like I said, I'll go into more detail once I've actually completed the outlines I'm currently in the process of writing. [face_skull]

[EDIT] I'd also try to make my prequels a little more consistent with the EU rather than go off on a tangent like Lucas did when he made his films. :*

16. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Sorry, but usually "What if" threads aren't even allowed in SAGA.

If I had a nickel for every time someone thought they could out do George Lucas, I'd buy the Internet.

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This isn't a "what if" thread. This is more of a "how would" thread.

18. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    There has been some good discussion here. So far it hasn't turned into a "Lucas sucks" kind of thread.

19. Danaan

Apr 23, 2008
    Many interesting ideas here. Can we look forward to a fanfic in time?

20. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    I'm part way through the first outline. It gives a description of the scenes and a rundown of the dialogue. I don't think I'll be making it into a short short story or novella though - I wouldn't have the patience to do that, I think. :D

21. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    A tad touchy, aren't we?

I suppose you're not a fan of alternate history, are you?

22. yodas_waiter

yodas_waiter Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 31, 2006
    They most certainly don't :p

23. Go-Mer-Tonic

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't mind alternate ideas, it's just a lot of the time they come with condemnations for what Lucas did.

That's why I thought this thread was different, because it managed not to do that.

24. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    Ah, I see. :oops:

25. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    From a certain point of view. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.