main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO If you were to make a new RPG that fits into the new canon, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by ScorpionJedi, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    One of the things which most definitely improved Star Wars games are classics like the KOTOR games where you could have absolute freedom in determining your character's story in a "Choose your own adventure" game.

If you were to make a new Star Wars role-playing video game, what would you make? What era would it be set in? Would you reboot the Old Republic era or find a way to make it fit into the new canon? or make a new RPG that's set post-ROTJ or even in the Dark Times/Rebels era? What kind of story and characters would you have? Would you bump into movie characters or not? Would you feature characters outside of movies?

To me, I'd like to see them try to churn out a new RPG for every Star Wars era. I just love these kinds of games where you make your own character and you're off on your own personal journey.

So what would you guys want?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dragon Quest, but with lightsabers.

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    A RPG in which you play as Anakin Skywalker but are able to not make such awful and stupid choices.

4. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Don't we all want that? :p

TX-20 likes this.
  5. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001
    An RPG in which you play ... just ****ing make KOTOR III already!

6. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Well that's a bit hard considering KOTOR is booted from canon and there seems to be no real movement on that front unless you count TOR expansions.

7. shingi_70

shingi_70 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 24, 2014
    I'd make a more traditional shooter/rpg hybrid like Mass Effect, and Dues Ex, and keep it confined to a smaller plant. Like take the initial C-sec stuff from the first Mass Effect but make the game around it in general only foucsing on the events of one planet or city.

8. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Sorry but I'm unfamiliar with those lol. So how would a Star Wars version of that work? What kind of story/plot/era would you have?

9. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    KOTOR 1 and 2 again. Same era, same story, updated technically (engine, art assets), and shove it into the new canon.

10. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    First one for sure, for the second one, I wouldn't have another big Jedi Purge that has happened before the famous one in 19 BBY. I've said this many times around here but I would rather have KOTOR as a television series on HBO.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I would make a third Kotor, were it's placed in the era of Darth Bane and Master Hoth. With five factions, Brother Hood of darkness, Jedi Order, Mandolorians, Hutt space, and Black Sun. There will be a variety of classes including battle commander were the game switch's to RTS like gameplay. You could exlpore the galaxy gathering followers and battling enemy's were you can choose to play like the old Kotor game's or more action like RPG's. You could even create splinter's in different factions as well as your own group, or be more diplomatic. You could also choose ( if your a force user) the different lightsaber forms. For me, that would be a fun star wars RPG.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  12. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    How would it be different to TOR other than not being an MMO?

13. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I think the conflicts between the Mandalorians and the Republic mentioned and alluded to in some episodes of The Clone Wars could be an interesting era to explore. Have your main character be part of the events leading up to the conflict or whatever happened and then see it to its end where Mandalore is ravaged by the Republic. Obviously allowing your character some choice or influence in the events.

Only downside is there may not be any good Sith vs. Jedi battles during this time period and that's what Star Wars usually tends to capitalize on. Although giving some Mandalorian foes lightsabers stolen from Jedi could work as a replacement.

But yeah, the shooter aspect of Mass Effect would work really well with a new Star Wars RPG in my mind. Just add some mechanics for lightsabers as well.

14. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Yeah I know it probably wouldn't be much different. I just thought them putting a TOR like game into a more non-mmo format wouldn't be bad with some added gameplay options and a different era. Plus having a third Kotor wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I see your point.

15. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    I want a Skyrim-like game.

TX-20 and ScorpionJedi like this.
  16. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    An RPG set in the same time period as KOTOR with the combat and explorability of Dragon Age Inquisition. It would need a tighter narrative and less fetch-quests than the aforementioned game however. It also needs to have a strong Jedi-centric story.
    What I don't want to see is a Mass Effect style Star Wars game. That game barely qualifies as an RPG in my mind. It's more a of a third person shooter with minor RPG elements. Don't get me wrong, they're good games, I just don't want to see a game in that style.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    you would have to have a game with new characters. a Morrowind or Oblivion with a new cast, but you can have npc's be famous jedi or whatever. You can join the Naval Force for one of three playable sides. Empire, Rebellion/Alliance or a Pirate gang. You can be a jedi or a sith, or you can join as a soldier or smuggler guild.

18. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I would want to see KOTOR 1 and 2 both remastered with updated graphics and a few other things and have that lead to a true KOTOR 3 :)

TX-20 and Howard Hand like this.
  19. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    KotOR III, obviously. Ignoring the TOR game and TOR: Revan novel.

Howard Hand likes this.