main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC If you won the powerball jackpot

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Oct 14, 2013.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    And say it was 300 million after taxes. How much would you give away to ensure your privacy and your name not being released. Some states will allow that but most will not. How much would you give to a governor or a legislator to remain anonymous? How would you try to remain anonymous? How long would you work at your job before quitting? Or would you stay there. Or would tell everyone you quit and that you won the lottery? How many relatives would know?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I would give away 14 million to a strange woman to ensure she lived close enough to me for me to maintain a never-quite realized fantasy that the two of us might one day have a romantic relationship together.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think about this all the time, actually. South Carolina has laws that protect lottery winners, so I wouldn't have to pay anyone off- I'd take care of my family and a few friends, and then I'd move out West, either to Seattle or San Diego. There, I'd build a house, hire a chef and a few trainers, and try to get a tee time with Larry David.

4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if i had three hundred million dollars i seriously wouldn't give a ****. i would be too busy on my party boat, with occasional jaunts on my party chopper to the newly built helipad at my party mansion.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, it's starting to get old.

epic likes this.
  6. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I'd ggive the standard 2 weeks' notice but wouldn't say why. Then I'd go anonymous and essentially "reverse tithe," meaning I'd donate the vast majority to charity and live very well off of a fraction of the winnings.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd finish up graduate school without having to worry about funding, and then become a wandering logician hobo.

Lord Vivec and Point Given like this.
  8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Tell no one. Stuff it away in an account somewhere and watch it grow. Proceed with life as if nothing ever happened.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Very much this.

I'd also settle all debts, see that my old folks and close family members are well taken care of, then retire somewhere south of the equator like New Zealand. Or Australia. Or simply split the year between both places.

10. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As is the case for whenever we have this thread pop up (because it always does pop up), here's exactly what I do:

-purchase Dodger season tickets.

-hope against hope that I could somehow use my money to get courtside season tickets for the Lakers. If not, then I put my name on the waiting list (for tickets elsewhere at Staples Center), and then buy tickets off places like StubHub in the meantime in order to go to the games.

-purchase a house in either the West San Fernando Valley or the Hollywood Hills.

-take care previous financial considerations, and of course give bits of the $$$$ to friends & family.

-Etc...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Here's what I would do:

I'd buy up some airtime on all the major networks. I'd heavily advertise a live ten-minute long program. It would cold open with me sitting on a throne on top of a mountain of my 300 million in cash (take a little for the aforementioned costs). I'd monologue to the camera about Eastern philosophies and ethics, and throw in a choice "it's about sending a message" line, then I'd climb down off my mountain, light a match, and throw it on the money. It all goes up in flames.

Then I'd laugh.

Cut.

12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Most people would change the channel long before you got to that part.

Jedi Merkurian , MrZAP and Ender Sai like this.
  13. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Fine. I'll buy up airtime during the Super Bowl, then.

edit: obviously, the ten minutes would have to be cut down to one minute, however.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    All that advertising space would probably cost more than $300 million anyway.

15. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Super Bowl audience. They're not going anywhere. No need for advertising anymore.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Firms pay a lot for Super Bowl advertisements because the event has a big audience, not because there's some magical obligation that keeps people from ignoring commercials. You'd last about all of 15 seconds with your philosophy lecture.

17. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Do you even watch the Super Bowl? Don't you think sports are worthless or something?

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He's right, though.... you'd get muted, or you'd become the little box in the corner of the screen while they surfed other channels. The bottom line being, nobody would give a **** about your philosophy lecture... especially during a superbowl party.

Also... you'd light all the money on fire and go right back to living with your parents? Really? :p

19. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'd slap myself and wake up. Because statistically, you're never going to win the powerball/lottery.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No, I never have, and yes I basically do. But that has nothing to do with the concern here, which is how advertisements work.

21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the thing i'd probably spend way too much money on is having hall and oates play at my house.

22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention, if you're lighting the money on fire you're still acknowledging that it has some kind of power or meaning, so I don't think you're really in a position to be lecturing others on Eastern philosophical traditions.

23. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Stick it all in banks to gain interest and give the interest made to various charities for the rest of my life, pay off the debts my family owes. Then upon my death have the remaining money used in the same manner by my decedents from now until the end of time.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Having an imagination is fun, though.

25. Coruscant

Feb 15, 2004
    Seriously speaking, uhhh... no! I am kind of bemused by how everybody came creeping in and taking my stupid little fantasy seriously, though. :p