main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If your script doesn't have black people in it is it consider racist?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jangofat, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jangofat

Jangofat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    The reason I ask because I don?t want to change some of my characters in my script.

2. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    I don't think I've ever seen a fan film with a black person in it...

3. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Prepare to be amazed then... :D

Actually, I was thinking about this the other day. All of my main characters are caucasian... and the other random one's are asian, african american, and what have you. I didn't do it that way on purpose or to offend anyone.

I don't belive it's racist, but I would like to see more race in the films.

:)

Peace

~DK~

4. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    I wouldn't worry about it. If people are that sensitive, they should be living in the ocean.

5. Jangofat

Jangofat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    I just don't want to be call racist you know most movies these days has a group white people and then there is always couple of black people in it.

6. Race_Novastar

Race_Novastar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2002
    I think it is more racist posting this. I mean your acting like its a thing you need to adress. If you have any african american friends who like star wars ( i have never meet one myself but i live up north) so dont write parts acording to race. I dont think george lucas said you know there arent enough black people in my films i need to make lando. so what does it matter

7. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    No offense, Jango .... but that's a pretty silly question.

Why would you think, even for a minute, that because you didn't cast a particular ethnic group in your FanFilm that anyone would consider you racist? That's just plain silly.

8. Dezion-Karr

Dezion-Karr Jedi Master star 3

Dec 10, 2001
    Well, I don't know Jango's exact intentions, but I know how AotC and TPM came under racist attack for a number of reasons. Sounds like he might have concers about the same...

~DK~

9. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    Dude! Go rent Kevin Smith's film, "Chasing Amy" - for the definative reply to your question... The "White Hating Coon" scene deals with the "Holy Trinity"...

"What's a Nubian?"

:D

10. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    As long as you're covering your bases, make sure one of your Jedi is a homosexual. You can never be too safe eh?

11. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    This may be a good question for another type of movie, but not starwars. Look at it like this. One of the best things about starwars is that its a world much like ours except for all theadvnced technology and stuff but my point is that people don't act much differently. Though, there are more than just black and white in starwars, there are so many different races, hundreds, thousands, possibly millions even. and never do you ever see any rasist activities or comments or stuff like that (except for the occasional "no droids aloud, get out")......What am trying to say i that by making a starwars film you are making another world, a world in which no race is inferior or superior to another, if you have a black guy, you just have a human, if you have a white guy, you ust have a human. Its only as racist as you make it.

p.s. looking back at what i typed, i realize i might not make sense, its really hard to describe what i want to say. so sorry

12. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Bravo, Drew! I agree completely.

-Kai

13. flight_wing

flight_wing Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2001
    well, i wouldnt worry too much about it, im sittin here drinkin my coffee (im only 14 so i have to drink no caf, anyway) i dont think youd be looked upon as racist, if you have no black people in your aquaitence, then u cant do much about it, and (again) dont worry about it.

P.S. Sorry, my keyboard is screwing up and some keys dont work too well. (lol)

14. Darth_Gehenna

Darth_Gehenna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2001
    If your SCRIPT doesn't have black people? That sounds kinda racist there . . .

Would you like to know how to write a black person into a script? Make them talk about food stamps, grape soda and watermelons. No wait, that's racist. Nevermind . . .

15. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Dude .. that was cold. [face_plain]

16. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

LOL@DG

17. NSH

NSH Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    My question is, why would you need to CHANGE your script to incorporate a different race?

The dialog is going to be the same correct?
    The fight scenes, the same...

No one is going to call it racist if there is not someone from another race..I mean are you going to add someone from every race, origin, religion, nationality just to please everyone.....

Don't worry about it...

18. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    I agree that this is a silly question. In my mind, its only racist if YOU make it racist.

Racism really gets on my back. Do whatever you want. Make a racist film if you like.

Who cares? Its impossible to please everybody anyway!

By asking this question, anybody who has read this topic, and sees your film, will be looking out for any racism instead of the quality of the film.

Film is for freedom of expression. Use it.

19. Jedi_Jewel

Jedi_Jewel Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    hey...

"It doesn't matter if you're white or black...." wink ;)

20. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    I"M NOT a racist person and if this sounds racist then i'm sorry but what If obi-wan, anakin, luke, padme, were all black? Now I know that star wars shouldn't be different if it was like that, but the fact is it would be. if black people were the majority in star wars. It would be different...more popular are less popular, it would be different, that may be wrong but its the truth.

21. predinator

predinator Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2001
    This topic is going down-hill fast.
    Its only a matter of time before this turns into a big argument between everybody, and the mods close the topic.

22. JediDrew

Jun 9, 2002
    yea, i think this topic should be closed

23. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Lock away, oh great moderators!

24. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Just to add this :

Anti-racism groups criticized TPM mainly because of Jar-Jar : he was the most annoying character, played by Ahmed Best, and as you all know Best is black. There's also the fact that they always have small parts (they must have blinked and missed Mace Windu there...).

PS. Don't bother changing your script.

25. Ryusui

Ryusui Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Is it racist? Yes. Why? Because I say it is.
    Dude, even if you had a black man and a white man in equal roles side by side, same screen time, same morals, same everything - someone out there would still be able to find [/b]something[/b] racist about your movie. Look at how far the Detroit news reached for AOTC!
    You're not making films to please the critics, or so I assume, anyway. You make them to please you. If I wanted to look at your film and find Satanic worship references, I'm sure I could do it. If someone has the determination, they can reach enough to find what they want.
    Do your film. The way you want it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.