main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

iframes vs. regular frames

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Sites' started by AERYN_SUN, Jun 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    what's the difference between iframes and regular frames?

~aeryn

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    iframes are inline frames. they allow a separate page to be loaded as an inline element - i.e. like a textbox.

regular frames, as you know, allow the browser window to be split either horizontally or vertically into multiple pages.

3. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Grimby is correct. Here's an iframe:

<div align="center"><iframe src="http://www.theforce.net" height="400" width="500" name="hi">Your browser doesn't support iframes.</iframe></div>

It has shaky support with older browsers, though, so keep in mind your target audience when using it.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    you managers and your html... :p

5. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I'm envious! ;)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    is there a way to make inline frames in dreamweaver or in front page?

~aeryn

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    the only way i've found to do it in dreamweaver mx is to use the code view and manually enter the tag. when you do so, a menu will pop up showing all attributes you can use.

8. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    you just add an "i" to the frames code, right?

ok.

~aeryn

9. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    one more iframe question. is there any other editor besides frontpage that you can use to make iframes?

~aeryn

10. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    hmmm... well i just checked out my copy of dreamweaver mx and it doesn't look like there's any easy way to add them in, save for simply typing the tag in manually. the cool thing about this program though is that when you type in any tag, it pops up with a list of all available attributes. a very handy and time-saving feature i've used many times. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.