main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

IG-88

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Superty88, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superty88

Superty88 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2002
    I think that is his name im not sure. But he is this robot bounty hunter that i know for sure. What is his deal? Is he a robot who thinks for himself? Why is he a bounty hunter? Who made him ect

"i would have made thin in the starwars moive forum but i feel it will be better answered here"

2. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I highly recommend you read "Therefore I Am", in 'Tales of the Bounty Hunters'. It tells IG-88's entire life story, from his creation to his death(s).

3. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Not his WHOLE life. He shows up other places, too.

4. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Well, it's all the major stuff. He also gets mentioned in one or two of the WEG books, and the YJK novels (just one of 'em, I think) and some of the Dark Horse comics (one Droids one, and one of the SotE issues)

5. Halcoholic

Halcoholic Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    According to the "Tales of the Bounty Hunters" novel, IG-88 is part of Project Phlutdroid, a program initiated by Holowan Laboratories to design assassin droids for the Empire. They designed a prototype, designated IG-72, and then upgraded him. They built four of the upgraded version. They were built a little TOO sophisticated, and when the first was turned on, his programs developed a sense of awareness, turning the droid into a sentient being.

IG-88 slaughtered all of the scientists before initiating the other four droids. He copied his programs into the 3 IG-88's, and they became known as IG-88 A, B, C, and D. IG-72 decided to go off on his own, I'm not sure of what happened to him. The four IG-88's decided to begin a great Droid Revolution, replacing organic beings as the dominant life forms in the galaxy. They captured the droid factories on Mechis III. While IG-88 A, C, and D remained behind to oversee the factories, IG-88B went out to become a bounty hunter and spread fear and terror of the droids. IG-88B was destroyed on Bespin by Boba Fett just before he captured Han Solo.

B's demise sent a transmission to Mechis III where IG-88 C and D took off in their ships to go and hunt down Boba Fett. They ambushed Fett over Tatooine as Fett was delivering Han Solo to Jabba, and although they did severely damage Slave I, they were both destroyed.

IG-88A took measures into his own hands and copied himself into the new computer core of the second Death Star as it was en route to Endor. He became the Death Star, and as you know, was destroyed. There have been several unsubstantiated reports of another IG-88 still out there, roaming the galaxy.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    There is more to his story, marvel covered some, SOTE, droids, and other places also added more info.

7. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Point of interest:

Watch ESB, and check the scene when Chewie salvages the blasted Threepio from the conveyor belt. To the right of the belt, you'll see the whitened carcass of IG-88b. :)
    I'm just amazed they didn't incorporate the fact that Wuher's distillery is made up of the same prop that made IG-88's head (true!) into one of the "deaths".

8. Syntax

Aug 1, 2001
    Valiento:
    Marvel actually incorporated IG-88? I didn't know that.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Check starwars.com databanks it pretty much has an overview of all of IG-88's appearances.

10. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Yep, in issues 71, 72, and 85.

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    He was in 50 as well.

12. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Did anyone mention Underworld: The Yavin Vassilika? He's in that as well...and in a few of the Missions books.

And IG-72 is in Tatooine Manhunt.

13. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Actually, C was only damaged by Fett. He escaped, went rouge, and was destroyed by Dash Rendar on Ord Mantell. A's body was discovered on Mechis, and re-programmed. It is this IG-88 that appears in the post-ROTJ Marvel comics and the YJK. He was destroyed on an asteroid, (as far as we know.) Grand Moff For-Atesee (SP?) was also an 88-type model, (I think.)

TC

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Actually, you have that backwards. Dash damaged one of the IG-88s on Ord Mantell, then Fett finished the job.

The "IG-88" that we see running around in the post-ROTJ years is most likely IG-72, nearly visually identical to the IG-88 series droids.

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    From TOS databanks:

The scientists at Holowan Laboratories could not have been more naïve. The shortsighted droid developers, under the auspices of Imperial Supervisor Gurdun, traded caution for ambition when developing Project Phlutdroid. Within seconds of the activation of the new generation of combat droid, IG-88 achieved sentience and ran amuck, slaughtering the Holowan scientists. After activating and downloading his consciousness into three mechanical "clones," IG-88 was able to quickly spread his brand of mayhem across the galaxy. The four mechanicals were denoted by letter-suffixes: IG-88A, B, C, and D shared a cold, calculating consciousness bent on destruction and domination.

The scope of IG-88's vision of conquest was nothing short of galactic. IG-88A surreptitiously took over the immense droid factory on Mechis III and secretly modified the programming of every droid produced by the prodigious facility. The droid was ensuring he had a legion of secret accomplices in place for when the time was right to launch his uprising.

To draw attention away from this plot, IG-88B became a bounty hunter. Before answering Vader's call to capture the Millennium Falcon, IG-88B had achieved legendary notoriety. He had killed over 150 beings and had a "dismantle-on-sight" warrant in over 40 systems.

IG-88's processor computed that Boba Fett would be the hunter most likely to capture Solo. Rather than expend energy on beating Fett to his quarry, IG-88 sought to intercept Fett after Solo had been captured. IG-88B followed Fett to Cloud City, but Fett got the jump on the droid. He blew the droid to pieces in a Cloud City smelting chamber, leaving the mechanical carcass for Ugnaughts to pick apart.

IG-88C lay in wait for Fett in orbit over Tatooine aboard the modified starship IG-2000. He ordered Fett to surrender his cargo or be destroyed. Fett outmaneuvered the IG-2000 and shot down the vessel, destroying the next droid in the series.

The last surviving unit, IG-88A (smuggler Dash Rendar had reportedly destroyed unit D on Ord Mantell) continued his plans for conquest. Having crafted a duplicate battle station computer core carrying his sentience, IG-88 arranged for it to be installed aboard the second Death Star. IG-88 became the second Death Star. The megalomaniacal droid was set to activate his countless mechanical co-conspirators scattered throughout the galaxy when the battle station was destroyed at the Battle of Endor. Little did Lando Calrissian and Wedge Antilles realized that when they destroyed the Death Star, they saved the galaxy not only from the Empire, but from IG-88 as well.

Though IG-88's reign of terror was brought to an end, at least one lifeless shell remained -- the original body of IG-88A. An unknown party has reprogrammed it for bodyguard duty, and it has been seen protecting individuals such as Barpotamus Drebble and Tyko Thul.

IG-88 is a tall, spindly humanoid droid completely loaded with all manner of concealed weaponry, including a deadly gas dispenser, a flamethrower, a sonic stunner, a pulse cannon and a neural inhibitor projectile launcher.

To point out even further ig-72 was destroyed one of WEG sourcebooks, Tatooine: Manhunt.

16. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "The "IG-88" that we see running around in the post-ROTJ years is most likely IG-72, nearly visually identical to the IG-88 series droids."

That'd be impossible, as IG-72 self destructs in "Tatooine Manhunt" which is only set a month or two after A New Hope.

17. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
  18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    OK, I never read Tatooine Manhunt, so that explains why I hadn't heard of his fate.

19. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Not even that much, in fact. By my calculations, it's within a week after ANH, during the "Battle for Wayfar" adventure in the 2nd Edition of Galaxy Guide 1 - A New Hope.

Long sentence, and all for geeky details. :)

Actually, you have that backwards. Dash damaged one of the IG-88s on Ord Mantell, then Fett finished the job.

Bib, are you saying that Dash defeated IG-88 in order to find out that Fett was on Gall, even before Fett himself knew? :D

20. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Thanks Val!

TC

21. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    Is it just me, or is the databank timeline ignoring the part of the Tales story that has TWO IG-88s attack Fett in two different ships and Fett beats them both. It seems to imply that Fett only faced one IG-88 out there.

Or did he merely damage the second IG-88 and it went on to hunt Fett and was intercepted by Dash on Ord Mantell ? If that was during SOTE, then it would fit the timeline beautifully.

22. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Personally, I consider either C or D survived its encounter with Fett, and went on Ord Mantell. Most likely the one who rose from Tatooine, which must be D according to TOS databank. We see the unit C who came from hyperspace completely destroyed in the SotE comic.

23. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Isn't it possible that Dash fought A on Ord Mantell rather than C or D?

24. PaDmE-GuRl

PaDmE-GuRl Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2002
    in Shaddows of the Empire he is there............

25. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Well, Bib, I always knew there was some kind of contradiction bewteen the SotE game, comic and the IG88 tale. But I haven't read that last one since years, so I don't remember exactly... Guess I'm gonna have to interrupt my reading of Heroes Die to check that...

But I don't think it's possible it was A, since Dash - as he put it - fried its circuits - the circuits of the IG88 he fought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.