main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Ignition Test

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Thrice3, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Im sorry in advanced for using geocities, so dont yell at me please. I know its crap, but just bare with it. Thanks
    I did am igntion test, and I added shine to it to see what it would look like. It looks in my opinion pretty good, but it could use some more work. Tell me what you think, and please no negitive comments. Thanks.
    Click(Rightclick Please)

2. AnakinAdam87

AnakinAdam87 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2003
    Nicely done. Looks perfect. I really like the glare when it ignites. How'd u do that?

3. Zamboni

Zamboni Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    I like the light effect at the start.

4. Thrice3

Mar 24, 2004
    I used shine from trapcode.com. I was curious how good of a job it would do, I guess it turned out pretty nice.

5. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    What if we have feedback that says that it isn't good? You don't want any criticism at all?

Anyway, not bad. Shine is easily overused, but it can basically amount to a 'make cool' filter if used right.

I LOVE Shine.

6. Thrice3

Mar 24, 2004
    I will agree, shine is used a little too much. I've seen it used way too many times in movie trailers, but I wanted to use it for something else besides text.
    I don't mind bad comments, but keep it to a minimal. People over do it sometimes, and it lowers peoples self esteem. Thats why I was just saying, but if want to talk garbage, go right ahead, the reason why I said I dont want bad comments is becuase im tired of hearing them. I gets annoying after awhile.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Good job. I might make the the ignition a *wee* bit faster, but it looked good.

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    He that's an awsome ignition. Very much liked the shine effect. Do you have any live footage to work with? If not gimme a PM and I'll shoot something for ya.

9. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Good job. I might make the the ignition a *wee* bit faster, but it looked good.

Hah, watch A New Hope in the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan. His lightsaber takes FOREVER to turn on...

And very nice...also, you do realize that the only reason we find the 'Shine' effect overused is because we've all heard about it all over these boards. I find myself watching commercials on TV and I mutter to myself "I wonder if they used Shine..." for those effects.

See what you people do to me!? I can't enjoy TV anymore without studying their camera angles and effects work!!! GAH!

10. Thrice3

Mar 24, 2004
    haha, Im the same way when im watching TV, I cant watch it in peace anymore. lol.

11. Cuban_Menace

Cuban_Menace Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 7, 2004

Tech I have been doing the same thing lately, like when I watch a Baseball or Basketball game I wonder if they also work with "Layers" or something for all those nifty boxes with scores and statistics. Now am I correct isnt Premiere and After Effects also used by Television stations?

12. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Very nice ignition.
    I'm gonna have to try shine out now.

What settings did you use for the jitter? It looks great.

Now do it over live footage! (It's a bit harder cause the saber handle is always moving slightly, but I'm sure you'll have no trouble.)

-Vaportrail

13. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Yes the Shine effect looks very nice. But let's see if it works just as good using an live shot. Try it Thrice...I'm interested.

Edit: I too find myself looking at trailers on-line and on T.V. looking out for the Shine effect. When I see it, it's no big surprise to me now that I know how to use it. ;)

14. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    It looks like a lightsaber!

I can't really say that I like the application of Shine to this... Mostly because I don't see why it would cause the effect then fade away - it looks cool, but unnatural to me. The more standard effect is a type of lens flare at the base hilt prior to ignition. Dorkman did a really nice one in the Contract of Evil teaser, and I think it looks more believable.

I'd like to see the Shine effect composited into some footage to see if it enhances or detracts from the clip.

I think the chatter/flicker looks fine, but it seems to me like the saber starts up, then starts to flicker - this could be due to a fluke in the random generator, or a delay in applying the effect? I think it should flicker from the first frame it's on the screen.

Hopefully my comments aren't too negative... I'm only trying to push ya a bit :)

-Spiff

15. Thrice3

Mar 24, 2004
    I dont think they were negitive at all, and like I said its a test, and yes I will try it on foorage to see how it turns out. Thanks for the comments guys.

16. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    looks good to me :)

17. iandud3

iandud3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2004
    I loved it!

18. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    I like it. I can't decide if the shine is overkill though... but I looked at it a few times, and overall it's a nice effect. Good work.

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Hah, watch A New Hope in the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan. His lightsaber takes FOREVER to turn on...

And your point is? ;) Watch every other film in the series and see how quickly they turn on.

Besides, it was just an observation.

20. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    I can't enjoy TV anymore without studying their camera angles and effects work!!! GAH!

If i'm not too lazy, I could find you a whole thread like that. (Posted by me, of course ;))

Btw, very nice, I knew it was shine before I read it. Thats weird, this morning, I watched Ryan's mirror test, and I knew it was time re-mapping before I read the description...... weird. meh.

21. Thrice3

Mar 24, 2004
    Thanks for the comments, I will apply this to some footage when I have some time on my hands. Im pretty busy in my video class right now But I promise I will post something in the next couple of weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.