main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Gorefiend:

I think that Zorrixer meant the actual 3D models used for the various asari in-game throughout the trilogy. Aside from Benezia, Samara and Aria, you only ever see two or three types of asari body models: dress, armored, and casual (all three of which could be interchangeable with female human body models). That aside, I agree with your point; there are a fairly wide variety of characters among the asari. One of the ones which hasn't been mentioned is Shiala, whom I respected for being courageous and also humble, quite willing to take responsibility for her own actions even if they weren't of her own will.

Besides, the scene on Ilium in ME2 when you help her deal with the Feros colony's problems, and she makes a pass at you, was very romantic and yet tinged with believable sadness.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I ended up feeling the same way about Legacy.

3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Mass Effect character models in general are somewhat limited so I really did not mind to much as it would properly be an extreme effort to generate more “dress doll” models. After all enemy models are also all nearly alike. As on Shiala I actually still have to make a play through were I don't kill her in Mass Effect 1 [face_devil]

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    You renegade. [face_skull]

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I wouldn't call the Asari a 'dumb concept.' Parthenogenic reproduction by a female-only species that goes through the motions of sexual activity in order to trigger the reproductive process actually exists on Earth. All the Asari really add is the weird psionic-based genetic mixing, which makes plenty of evolutionary sense once you accept the whole bionics bit. So the 'space lesbian' label is a superficial projection onto to the Asari, rather than any sort of accurate representation of what they actually are.

6. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Really? I had a Thane/Liara triangle going on and hadn't had the plot spoiled and it was amazingly effective when certain things happened.

A Jack/ManShep romance works well too. I think it really depends on which character we're talking about. Some characters did get short changed in ME3, but for the most part it worked out decently, imo.

I do think certain romances got screwed. Anyone who romanced Jacob (all two of them) were in for a letdown.

The new Citadel DLC went some ways to fixing some issues with the sense of connection with the ME2 crew, but considering that it was an outlaw crew I sorta understood why many didn't return for huge roles.

As far as NEW romances to just ME3 for FemShep...I thought Traynor was okay but the "romance" scene was a joke.

I don't actually recall if there was another new romance for FemShep in ME3. ManShep had Cortez or the reporter...but that was it for new romances for him too.

It sorta makes sense that by the third game the romances are either settled in or not happening. I didn't mind that there weren't many new choices and that they didn't bog the story down with too much of it.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Legacy 2.0 spoiler...

Wouldn't you know it? Yalta Val starts the issue brown-skinned and ends it as a pasty white man! This time you've gone too far, DH.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    He is joking.

The Real Yalta gets captured and his fake replacement is a White Human Sith.

10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Just read Tyrant's Fist. I get the distinct impression that Oniye Namada is meant to be at least part Japanese. In some scenes she certainly could be viewed as white, but in others she has some more asian like characteristics. Add that to her name and thats what I'm going with.

Of course she is a villian so she doesn't count, yes I realize.

11. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Well if she looks Asian in some and white in the others then I guess the name can count as a tiebreaker.

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    She is shown as specifically darker skinned than the other white Imperials we see in the issue so hopefully something like that was the intent.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    But that was the whole idea; to take a hokey trope from classic b-movie sci-fi (in this case, "alien space babes") and do something different with it. Everything about the asari was built around the initial premise of: "what if the green chicks Captain Kirk banged in Star Trek were also in charge of the galaxy?"

It's briefly discussed in one of the ME art books.

14. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah it was kinda obvious no point in them not admiring it.

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I want to make a Michael Jackson joke about the Legacy 2.0 spoiler, but I feel that it would not only be dated, but possibly of bad taste, as it may still be too soon.

16. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm surprised you didn't make an allegorical comment involving two different arthropods. :p

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You could've stopped at "dated". :p

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have a question: are there any cultures in GFFA that are inspired by slavic cultures?

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Hurrm had Russian accents and names

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks.

Are there any other people?

21. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    If you're looking for aliens taking inspiration from slavic culture beyond cartoon Russians you're probably going to be disappoint.

Searching for "slavic" in Wookiepedia mostly brings up language roots for names. Not what I would call inspired worldbuilding.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To bad, but I did not really expect much GFFA are after all inspied by Samurai flics, Wuxia, the Wilde West and 50's USA - not mutch place for Central- & East Europe

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The Ryn were inspired--some would say poorly so--by the Romani. That's as Eastern European as it gets, I think. As far as Northern European, I'm not aware of anything.

24. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I'm just glad that Lucas deliberately chose not to buy into the red scare with Star Wars. Cold War baggage is the lat thing Star Wars needs.

Well, the Romani apparently have their origins in northern India before migrations to Europe in the high middle ages. And that's from a cursor (ie; lazy) Wikipedia search, which is more than alot of writers do before writing about fantasy "gypsies".

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    the Romani exist all over Europe so I don't consider them specifically East European

P.S. can I ask what you mean with "poorly so"?