main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I would much rather see some exotic species or ships on the cover.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I always saw him as slavic

3. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    LelalMekha likes this.
  4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Now that's an interesting read! I'll share it on my own FB.

5. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

Jorge you CRADLE ROBBER!

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    She's 44.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So by extension would people be fine with seeing Luke Skywalker as a black person? Movies to comics I know, but that is one of the key points that the author seems to be encouraging.

What the article says does have some merit, but I'm kinda with you. I have no issue with Spiderman being black - but Peter Parker was never black. No reason a new Spiderman can't be of a differing ethnicity, but there is little reason to re-imagine Peter Parker. I guess if it is an alternate universe it wouldn't bother me - then Clark Kent could be black as part of a what if story.

Fantastic Four is a little further down the icon list for me so changes there wouldn't bother me as much, but I get what your saying. I don't want to go and watch the ST and have Lando as a white guy, or have Mace Windu retroactively made white when he shows up to train Luke's daughter minus an arm.

What I would like to see is more main characters flat out represent human diversity. I'd actually be more likely to watch Star Wars Episode 7 if I found out that all the main characters were not white - heck, make Jaleel White the lead for all I care - but but I'd be much less likely to watch it if Luke Sykwalker was portrayed by anyone but Mark Hamill..

8. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    What if Michael Jackson had played Luke in the seventies, when he was still black?

And he were still alive today, and he ended up playing Luke as a white guy in Episode VII?

(note: not serious about this one [face_peace])

Darth_Arapsis likes this.
  9. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    If I remember correctly, Will Smith was offered the role of Superman in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns, but he turned it down.
    It's not really a question of "messing up," though. I do like Will Smith as an actor, and he did well in Hancock. Whar I don't like is when movies change a character's ethnicity "in a spirit of tolerance." It's just a clumsy move. Casting a black man as Superman would only highlight the lack of "high-ranking" black superheroes, and this is insulting. What they need to do is not changing a beloved white superhero into a black man, they should create good black heroes instead.

TrakNar, Esg and Robimus like this.
  10. JarenJade

JarenJade Jedi Master star 1

Aug 28, 2009
    How would we feel if there were some sort of Star Wars reboot and Obi-Wan was recast as black? That was a great article, but as Star Wars fans does there exist a modicum of NIMBYism?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What is NIMBYism?

12. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    NIMBY - not in my backyard

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, but I still have no idé what that means

14. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Wasn' Obi Wan originally supposed to be played by Toshiro Mifune? I wonder how different the Star Wars landscape might have been if that had gone down. We know atleast Lucas would have been resistant to prequel whitewashing.

Basically saying that you'll accept the fact that something exists, as long as you can't see it.

See all those guys in the movie threads who sign off about their fine with gay people existing, but not in my Star Wars dammit.

Contessa, themetresgained and Esg like this.
  15. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    One of my great hopes for the sequel trilogy was that Luke (and Han and Leia, for that matter) would be recast with nonwhite actors.

16. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It did all happen a long time ago. We can't know what they really looked like....

CooperTFN likes this.
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I hope they cast an obese female Danish opera singer as Luke. Now that would get people talking.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why Danish?

19. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I do not understand this at all. It's one thing for a movie adaption of a book/comic to change the race. Artistic license and all. But changing the race of existing characters in the ST would be ludicrous. It would destroy the consistency of the Saga. The far better solution to lack of diversity is to introduce new characters into the Star Wars universe in the ST not changing the race of characters firmly established to be white in the previous 6 films.

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'd be fine with that. I just don't want the so called continuing story to change the goal posts. A new story, or a rebooted story, that would work. Of course Will Smith as Superman would have been terrible, but that has nothing to do with his skin color.

Were you not one of them folk upset that Karen Traviss didn't use the Verpine Shattergun correctly in her work :p

It's a joke, I don't know if you were or not - it just came to mind.

21. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Would Lando then be white in your fantasy alteration?

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Certainly not.

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think maintaining consistency in movies that are a continuous narrative is a different matter entirely. Even JJ's Trek is iffy since it's at least theoretically the same universe at the outset. But full-bore reboot? I could care less what race people are. Japanese Obi would be an awesome nod to the original Mifune plans.

Jedi Ben and The Loyal Imperial like this.
  24. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I don't think fans need to be freaking out about major white characters being made into people of color in Star Wars. I really don't see it happening. People would run around waving their arms indignantly even though there already exist classic Star Wars films rife with white lead actors and adding to the universe doesn't diminish anything for white fans/viewers/communities etc.

That being said, while a "reboot" would be interesting I would be more interested in seeing a production that is slightly AU and based off of Lucas's original notes. I'm thinking like, "The Adventures of Luke Starkiller" type stuff. Because then you could have the Asian actor playing Akira Valor, a Latino Annikin Starkiller, a black actress playing Princess Zara, etc. I feel like it would be a lot of fun to explore some of Lucas's early concepts but with a modern twist.

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999