Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4
    I think I was just hungry when I wrote that. I could sure go for a danish right about now.
    themetresgained likes this.
  2. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    @CooperTFN

While this isn't Star Wars related, the following quote from ST: Enterprise - Rise of the Federation - A Choice of Futures, which came out this week, cause my eye for diversity reasons. Especially alien diversity and the notion that alien species aren't simply monolithic walking stereotypes. The following quote take place between T'Pol, a Vulcan, and her first officer, an Andorian named Thanien:

"Neither of us is defined by a single trait such as logic or emotion. We are not racial stereotypes but fully realized individuals with many facets. What I need from you as my first officer is to be engaged with every facet of your own being- emotion, reason, discipline, intuition, all of it - just as I endeavor to be with mine. I need both of us to understand each other as individuals with all those traits."

The book, set during the early Federation, really does open up some very interesting ideas about human & alien societies trying to come together in a united form. Many of the alien in the book, including at least one major character of the Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellarite species, is shown to be complex and not a simple stereotype. Dittos for the human characters, who are learning that they are not the only ones who feel the way they do about the galaxy. Human diversity was rather good too, as we got a mix of male& females, black, white, Asian, Indian, and others. As I was reading this book, I was struck that I wish we saw more of this in current EU works. I don't read a lot of ST books, so I am not sure if all of them score well on the diversity scale, but this book caught my eye for multiple reasons.

--Adm. Nick
    Last edited by AdmiralNick22, Jun 28, 2013
    CooperTFN likes this.
  3. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    You lost me at "Star Trek". :p

But no, it's good to hear someone's doing that kind of thing--ironically, I can see how it might be easier in ST when you can actually say things like "so-and-so grew up in Tehran and remembered hearing stories of anti-Middle Eastern prejudice."
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Jun 28, 2013
  4. Likewater Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I wonder if Bruce Lee played obi-wan as her was rumored to be slated to who would have played him in the prequels I wonder?

would there be more asians? would would he like Lando(As family guy put it) perhaps the only asian in the galaxy.
  5. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Jun 28, 2013
  6. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6

I should watch more Star Trek.

Wait. Am I undermining the thread?

I'm undermining the thread. I'll go now.
  7. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Per Stephen Colbert: actual news on Disney's diversity track record.
  8. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd wait and see if it's done well before getting too excited.
  9. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    “Homosexuality is reality but so are cigarettes, alcohol and war.”

Urge to kill rising uncontrollably.
    Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Likewater Jedi Grand Master

star 4

Yes....yess I feel your hatred, I gives you focus! Makes you STRONGER!
  11. AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost

star 5
    They added Seven of Nine to Voyager hoping for fanservice and got one of the three best actors and characters on the show. They tried it again and ended up with just fanservice.

Enterprise the show was bad. The Reboot books are much better. Though Enterprise is a lot of fun to watch after seeing the character interpretations from SFDebris
  12. instantdeath Force Ghost

star 5
    Are there reboot books? That might be an easy entry point for me; I've wanted to give a Star Trek book a shot for awhile now. Or I could just try the Peter David stuff.
  13. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Honestly, after a week like this, when I hear someone say something like that, I just feel bad for them.
  14. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Thanks to @Miana Kenobi in Community for pointing this out. Bryan Konietzko, co-creator of Avatar the Last Airbender and it's sequel series Legend of Korra, had some choice words regarding complaints about skin color differences between parents and their kids, and talked about diversity in his shows in general. Humorously enough, he briefly mentioned his opinion on M. Night's movie and the casting issues surrounding that.

It's good to see some creators are fully cognizant of these issues. Avatar has always been pretty good and consistent with its diversity.
    Last edited by Todd the Jedi, Jul 3, 2013
    Contessa, Mia Mesharad and Gorefiend like this.
  15. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    That's an awesome piece even just from an animation geek's perspective.
  16. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5
  17. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    Sacrilege!!

...I imagine.
  18. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5

She was already playable in Smash Brothers, so why not in her own game? :)
  19. Reveen Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Slinging around magic and bringing in unique gameplay elements? Naaaah, just give me the bow and hookshot for the five millionth time.

Zelda is kind of interesting in this regard since Link isn't exactly a masculine archetype character who would be emasculated by a girl's cooties. Zelda already has far more personality than him by virtue of occasionally saying dialogue.
    Last edited by Reveen, Jul 3, 2013
  20. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    I never played them when I was a kid, so there was a considerable period of time wherein I thought he was Zelda.
  21. Gorefiend Force Ghost

star 5
    o_O

Actually so did I until I was 10 [face_shhh]
  22. themetresgained Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  23. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    He'll always be "THIEF" to me.
  24. Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost

star 4