main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Talia gave off the same vibe in KOTOR

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Irishman.

3. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    or the Black master in Dawn of the Jedi be named Quan-Jeng, named and physical ethic traits don't follow Earth norms in Star Wars.

Though In Tor, You run into alot of Alien, female and brown to tawny people. Mirilans seem popular republic side, and Chiss Imp side. Zabrak seems to be popular cross faction.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Him not the king, thus my confusion. ;)

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    So the Director of the SIS in TOR was also General Garza's first ex husband

Any comments?

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Esg likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know what 80% of that sentence means.

8. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Translation: interracial marriage.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Yep. And they have a black man as head of the Republic Security Intelligence service
    Play TOR or read Lost Suns

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    :: points at TLI's post:: See how much more helpful he was? :p

Not being overly familiar with the TOR stuff, yeah, it really does seem like interracial relationships, when they happen, are one of the better-handled elements of SW diversity.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, and I take it back - the old king definitely isn't white. That one rebel girl that was trailing Saw, though.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    This actually brings up something I've never even thought about before...

What's the diversity ratio like for TOR NPCs in general? Obviously the Sith Empire will be full of Red Sith, but ignoring those... are humans your standard cookie-cutter WHMs or do you get a broader, more randomised mix of NPCs as if BioWare literally just clicked "random" on the character generator?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah Coop -- calculate the entire NPC diversity ratio in TOR! Here's a site that will help you get started: Link

If you don't do this I will assume you don't really care about this issue.[face_not_talking]

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    My first thought was a gay marriage, guess not. I know not of TOR. :p

15. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    I have mentioned, several times, that the NPC mix in TOR is very diverse, and may very well be flattly random among the human population, which is itself the largest, but decidedly not overwhelmingly dominant group. While obvious budgetary reasons constrain precisely which types of aliens show up, there's a good mix.

Another way to look at TOR is to look at the diversity of the companion characters, who play a larger role in the story than really anyone else (the PCs being variable types as is normal for video games).

There are 40 companions (not counting the ship droids and the soon-to-be-introduced HK-51). They breakdown like so:
    Males: 28 Females: 12 (this counts 2 male droids and 1 female droid)
    Humans: 17 Near-Humans: 3 Humanoids: 9 True-Aliens: 8
    Organics: 37 Droids: 3 (though each character does get the ship droid)
    Intrahuman Diversity - White: 11 Black/African: 2 Hispanic/Latino: 3 Asian: 1 (this is a conservative count, several characters are rather nebulous, I counted Doc and Risha as 'white' for example).

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sanjay is an Indian name (derived from Sanskrit, in fact), Ramsis could also be vaguely Indian (Dendup too), and Talia used an Indian accent in KOTOR2. At the time, I suspected the latter was an imitation of Queen Jamilla's accent -- that is, a sort of "royal accent" (Amidala had a different sort of royal intonation herself). TCW may have just turned it into a general Onderonian thing: Roman aesthetics, but Indian looking and sounding folks.

17. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Hopefully no one has mentioned this yet, but I was kind of impressed by the upcoming series Agent of the Empire: Hard Target. (Well, at least the cover for Part I manages to break the racial Bechedel test for Star Wars covers.)

[​IMG]

Sure, while the main character is another white male, but this comic will include Boba Fett (irl Maori) and Bail Organa (irl Latino) and it also features a woman of color as the assassin. None of this diversity feels really forced, and of course there was the opportunity to make the assassin a white human male but they didn't do that.

Of course, then I see that the writer is John Ostrander...

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Cross was the assassin? And the woman was the bodyguard for the Count?

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah - you haven't read the issue yet, Freac, have you? :p

But you're right; it's shaping up pretty well so far. Though I miss the Nikto detective already.

20. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Freac, as you mentioned the Fett/Maori thing...
    There is a thing that bugs me.

Jango's family... why are they white? Why does he have a blonde sister? Why do neither of his parents have features like his? Plus I just looked at the picture of him from that comic as well, and sheesh. AOTC had Boba, his clone, serving as 'this is what Jango looked like as a child.' Young Jango in the comic? Not so much, in my opinion at least.

I get that the comic in which they turned up was released before the theatre release of the film, but not before it was cast. Wouldn't it be sensible, if featuring characters who are of the film, to get that sort of thing worked out? You know, so you don't wind up with odd things in which characters are drawn nothing like the way they'll be on-screen?

21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Adopted? You got to remember he lives in a part of the galaxy where the favorite pastime of its locals is killing each other over a culture that for all intended and purposes died more than 3000 years before or annoying their galactic neighbors into killing them off.

22. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    This is from the comic about his birth family, Gorefiend. The one where they die and he's taken in by Jaster Mereel. Where they were apparently farmers, not Mandalorian warriors, at the time.

23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I know, though he could still be adopted by elder Fett, when someone killed his birth partners over some trivial matter.

24. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Actually, his parents are dark enough to be his parents. (Remember, Temuera Morrison is of partial European descent himself), but I have no idea why his sister is blonde.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    All adopted [face_plain] Mandos just keep stealing children after killing their parents, because their own ones keep dying or running off to a saner parts of the galaxy like Hutt Space.:p