main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I fortunately have no such reservations.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm with you, too!

[​IMG]

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I had no idea about all that Jonathan Ross stuff. Wow.

How can you hate Wossy? He's Wossy!!! :(

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    This just solidifies my view that certain SJW's are their own worst enemy.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, it was a spectacular own goal in every respect Uli, Wossy is known for trying to mainstream comics, manga, S - he's a big fan.

And whatever else he may be guilty of in cracking gags that go a bit too close to the bone, I don't think he's ever tried to claim that there is such a thing as "genuine rape" or that Taliban were right to shoot Malala!

Actually Wossy was about the only one who came out of that whole fracas looking respectable, everyone else....

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That's hilarious in a depressing sort of way.

Also:

yikes. Really disturbing to see that up there as an equal to sexism and bullying.

9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It goes well with the other lines of your sig.

Ulicus and Point Given like this.
  10. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    lol you're still on about that

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  11. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

No offense or argument intended, but just to get you to think about it: Isn't this just the flipside of the SJW coin?

Because worrying about this *at all* is sort of tiresome and obnoxious, isn't it? That is why I hate SJWs... Not because of the sentiment itself, but the ridiculously irrational, short-sighted, impractical, can't-see-the-forest-for-the-trees way they go about it, as if media representation is everything, not knowing the meaning of "pick your battles."

12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007

So, seeing people who don't look like you shooting people who do look like you makes you feel uncomfortable?

Welcome aboard, son.

Vthuil, Skaddix and CooperTFN like this.
  13. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah now the shoe is on the other foot.

14. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Mostly because, since the Breast AFD joke, I haven't been able to bring myself to edit the site at all. Partly because of work, which has done no shortage of things to my recreational Internet time, but also because ... I just haven't wanted to. Not after that.

Which is actually a shame, since it meant the Breast TC and several other things have gone by without my input, and we really should have a Pubis article and a few other things on that list of yours. But ... I'm not the guy for it right now.

Revanfan1, TrakNar and CooperTFN like this.
  15. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014

Given that you clearly don't like it, why do you think we will?

Course, maybe you can run a Star Wars show that the straight white guy geeks don't take to.

16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Not that I can blame you, but that's exactly what I was trying to fight with that list--so often online people just form these little safe zones where they agree with everything they see and if a certain site strays from those margins they just cut it out of their lives, which just means it's got one less dissenting voice. The Breast article got like 25 "keep" votes--if everybody I've seen complain about it actually went and became a wook contributor those people would be half the site instead if 95% of it. But instead they just lob spitballs at it from a safe distance and change nothing. Again, I understand the impulse, but it's disappointing.

17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I would have gotten involved with that, but I believe that my one voice isn't going to do anything to change the culture around there. Also, I currently have a hard time even calling myself a Star Wars fan at the moment, mainly due to what LFL and Del Rey have done in recent years, which has made it virtually impossible for me to contribute anything over there.

18. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Coop, I've been keeping my own extensive database on Star Wars for 15 years now - predating the Wook. But I haven't had the desire to contribute a single article to it. It just isn't worth it - and in fact, coming here has been more productive, as far as contributing to Star Wars.

CooperTFN likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    But does your database have this?

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just don't care for the politics of the place, and don't have time. I've contributed little things here and there and once upon a time planned on overhauling articles on the Imperial Palace and the Imperial Court (which is just a redirect right now) but meh.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You would think that, much like with some of the authors that came here, they'd try to actively recruit experts, but that's exactly the type of person they don't want there.

I do now. Have to keep up with the Joneses, you know!

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Seriously, other than keeping things up to date with FFG stuff whenever possible, especially in the last few weeks where no one has really bothered to do that over there, I basically do nothing. Between my Master's and completely different interests and expectations on what is Star Wars than the people who are its caretakers, I don't have the time to devote to Wookieepedia.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My family drama's been keeping me plenty busy. I have a busy week of early bedtimes lined up so I can get things done. Also, what jSarek said about the AFD incident. It just sucks the life out of you.

Hell, even my art projects have fallen by the wayside, save for drawing exercises here and there.

24. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Palpatine's army of Maori clones would like to disagree.

On the other topic; I'm SOOOO happy you all get to experience the wonders of SFWA politics and culture clashes. There's a reason (well...MANY reasons) I never joined even though I've been able to for some time*. I'm much happier over in IAMTW; no politics and actual working writers.

*which is in itself a joke; three shorts in a market that meets their requirements is not exactly a challenge. So you have loads of people who've not sold anything in ages or who made their three and joined and who do nothing but play politics. This is also how you get such polarized ends of the spectrum. If you really want to enjoy the Vox stuff, Sclazi has a long been calling him out on his vile BS.

In order to maintain pro status for SDCC and other cons I have to continue to work in the field, but I could sign up for SFWA and not do any work the rest of my life and be a lifetime member.

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    the thing about contributing to the wook is that it's pretty much an exercise in futility unless you have the stamina for interminable internet arguments, which i def do not

(i mean also i don't care about star wars anymore so there's that)