main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I'm guessing unconscious chivalry, unless your local fencing community is just abnormally dominated by talented women. I never noticed any particular gender disparity between male and female fencers; I've beaten both and been beaten by both. And since our club was short on funds, we didn't have enough female gear to go around, and that lack of disparity held up regardless if they were in contoured chest protectors or not.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Trak's hardcore; she probably finished the operation herself.

Darth_Garak and TrakNar like this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So does body type have an effect on how one reacts to anesthesia? I've wondered about that for a while; the one time in my life I had full anesthesia (back in 2008 or so), the operation itself went well, but I had horrid, miserable nausea for several hours straight afterward. I'm thin and medium-height (5'6").

Incidentally, just for kicks and thrills (!), I invite you to enjoy this a 1725 musical depiction of a completely anesthesia-less gallstone surgery, complete with dramatic narration:

This was the first piece I ever taught when I TA'd music appreciation in grad school. :D

Darth_Garak likes this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I wasn't dosed enough, so I woke up mid-way through. And then told the surgeon I was awake. Since then, I'm usually given a double dose, and that knocks me out and I sleep for five hours afterward. But yes, anesthesia is based on body size. Small people get smaller doses.

5. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005

I realize it's not a laughing matter (seriously I can't begin to imagine what it must have been like) but now I have this mental image of you telling them "You bungled it guys, I'm wide awake" in a completely calm voice while the whole room stops in shock and someone drops something. I've never had surgery and whenever I think about it, my mind (a known sadist who likes to torment me) goes "What if you wake up in the middle of the whole thing but not enough to regain use of your mouth - just to experience the pain?".

6. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    At the pro level I actually think that's where the gap might be largest. I'm not sure myself, but I know some WTA pros themselves have admitted they would have a lot of trouble even returning shots from guys like Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray.

The one I've never understood is golf. It's hard for me to believe that the best women golfers wouldn't at least make the cut fairly routinely if they played on the PGA Tour.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm right there with Gillen--I've been reading the Remender run since the beginning, and while I like Jet (and am actually more invested in her than in Cap or Falcon), there's a fair conversation that can be had about the character and the sexualization of young women and all that. But people reflexively screaming SHE'S 14!!! without having actually read the issue or even bothering to research it for two seconds drives me insane and is precisely the kind of self-defeating nonsense PC is so quick to complain about.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So today's xkcd was interestingly relevant.

[​IMG]

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Heh, that's not far from the truth. I laid there for a while and thought about how cool of a story it would be to tell, and then finally said in a groggy voice "I'm awake." I was told to go back to sleep, which I did.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  12. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

A lot of this is down to Romita only being able to draw people at three ages; child with GIANT head, adult with moderately large head, and old person with big head.

Basically, he would be awesome for a grim and gritty PEANUTS relaunch, but for properly drawing characters at various ages he sucks.

His teen Rachel Summers always looked like she was a thirty year old alkie.

ETA: Anyone who has actually read the run knows she was a LOT older than her brother, and her sexuality only came out at age appropriate times (as she entered her teen years) and because she grew up in the other dimension she doesn't know what a lot of experiences (like sex) are like, and there's nothing wrong with Falcon having sex with her.

I actually run hot and cold on Remender's work, but this has just been a joke, and as someone who has watched both Twitter and Tumblr...the people involved may have got some abuse...but there really hasn't been the sort of ridiculous backlash against these people IN PUBLIC which has happened with other women who've spoken up in the past. I'm not saying it's not happening, but the current thing is to shift the story to; "Well, this is actually not about Remender but about comics!"

Which...maybe call if #firecomics if that's the case, but don't go after a person because you disagree with their storytelling.

CooperTFN likes this.
  13. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    ETA: ignore, that was me screwing up Edit and Reply. Sorry.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    CooperTFN likes this.
  15. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out that the article was satire. Once I saw that picture though, I knew. I also knew that I would never be able to unsee it. [face_beatup]

16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm kind of scared of the idea that anyone isn't with Gillen. We can have all the discussions about comics in general we want, but the actual facts of what happened in the comic really shouldn't be a matter of debate.

17. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    The Shadow Emperor and TrakNar like this.
  18. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    Sorry for the double post but I can't edit it anymore. Anyway, what do you guys and gals think of Batgirl's new look?

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/07/batgirl-dc-comics-new-costume-photos

The costume I'm ok with - with the exception of the mask, the eye holes are so huge the whole thing is almost pointless. However I'm not sure what to think of their idea to make her more hipster like (a term I dislike) and is it me or she taking a selfie in that one image? Of course this is just what went through my mind at a first glance and nothing else.

19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    My first reaction as usual was...
    DC still sells comics?!

But otherwise.... yeah it seems very "girly", whilst the outfit is nice and practical looking, the mask really is way to small.

20. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004

o_O

21. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Meh. I haven't paid attention to anything to do with the Bat-family since they got rid of Stephanie Brown and Cassie Cain.

22. Darth_Garak

Jul 28, 2005
    I don't really read comics much (Star Wars being the exception) but I saw the article while browsing TOR and thought I should bring it up here, see if anyone thinks it's worth talking about. I definitely like that they stepped away from the spandex suit (or whatever superhero bodyglove outfits are made out of).

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  23. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Isn't she supposed to be in a wheelchair or something?

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Suppose it's alright. I don't really follow these things but I'm aware that characters apparently get redesigned every couple of years. Compared to ones I've seen before, this looks fine to me. Even though hipsters are repellant. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Riv_Shiel likes this.