main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, a young man some of us might remember by the name Tom Taylor is writing the new Superior Iron Man. Not a diversity story, technically, but hey.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    You know, now that I think about it, I wonder who designed and made those uniforms.

.....well, the rebels were able to get companies to design tanks and fighters for them, so I guess getting a clothing company to support them should be easier.

Though I like the mental image of Ackbar's grandmother sitting in a chair, sewing them by hand.:p

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the Old Republic uses the same uniforms in TOR so the Rebels probably just made a really large historical cosplay order.

Oh man. The Rebels are a bunch of RenFaire LARPers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    LR? So not happening, then. :p

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or TOR is just an uncreative mess that should have been thrown out even sooner. [face_mischief]

jSarek and Gamiel like this.
  8. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Aside from, IU, Thor being his actual NAME and not a superhero-persona that can be transferred like Batman or Cap, I'm skeptical that gender-switching an existing character counts as progress.

Kylun likes this.
  9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I guess I'd be more impressed if we all didn't know the title is going to revert back to Steve within a year or two.

Also, they need to fix Falcon's backstory ASAP now.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What fixes do they need to make to it?

11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    You mean the "Snap" Wilson thing? That's been essentially ignored for decades - I think bringing it up now would do more harm than good.

12. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Good point. Best keep it buried then.

(Although I have a feeling conservative news outlets that are automatically going to be mad about the switch might drag it into the light again).

Edit: Ah, but who can replace the Falcon?

13. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006

Could depend on how they treat it. Just having a woman be worthy of wielding the hammer is a good thing, IMO.

Suppose I should qualify that. A woman native to the universe, since Wonder Woman did in the past.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Did not Storm use it once?

There is also Cap's and Rogue's daughter from that What if...? comic were the heroes never returned from the Beyonder's Secret War

15. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I guess I should have actually read that article instead of scrolling through the list.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I can't wait for Pepper Potts to rip off Justin Hammer's arm and beat him to death with it for taking the last canape.

Jedi Ben, blackmyron and Cynical_Ben like this.
  17. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

Jane Foster was actually turned into THOR...yes, THOR, in an old story.

Thor has always been a title. Before he had Mjjolnir Thor was an Asgardian but wasn't the thunder god, or at least he had VERY limited powers. Odin transferred the power and essentially the identity to the hammer. When Donald Blake strikes the stick on the ground he BECAME Thor.

Thor will be known by another name after becoming unworthy of the hammer but will still be around using the war-axe he had before Mjolnir. This really does line up with how Thor has been handled for decades.

Thunderstrike WAS Thor until Thor came back and took back his place, and a second hammer was made for Thunderstrike and he became...well, Thunderstrike.

The idea of the Asgardians being able to renew themselves and return from the dead or identity swap is nothing new...in Thor's case he's been something people can turn into since Donald Blake first stamped the stick down. It feels more like the casual fans are the ones upset.

And no one deserves to be Captain America more than Sam Wilson.

The only change I'm wary of is Superior Iron Man. According to the press releases Iron Man moves to San Fran and releases a version of the Extremis bioware that is now stable thanks to Tony, but Tony has spent years now trying to destroy the rogue scientists and terrorists who had tortured Maya for the secrets of recreating Extremis.

OTOH, there was the story where Tony allowed it to be used to save a girl from cancer, although he reprogrammed the virus to not rewrite the body into an offensive weapon.

Valin__Kenobi, CooperTFN and Gamiel like this.
  18. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I see Extremis as 616's Vergere--it's a gateway to a lot of really interesting, complex ideas (that by all rights the Marvel Universe should be engaging with, given their level of post-human experience) that's all too easy to distill down into OMG EVIL instead. It's a Warren Ellis concept, after all, and I'm not yet convinced Marvel is able to handle it with the maturity it warrants.

patchworkz7 likes this.
  20. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I had picked up a copy of the Civil War Files a week ago, and was reading it today... and the entry about Falcon (this being an in-universe summary for the President prepared by Tony Stark) goes into detail about the 'pimp' background. [face_plain]

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Booooo!

Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    For the record, he was never actually meant to be a pimp, I think - that was just the way people dressed back then.

Not that that really makes anything better, of course.

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I know - it was supposed to be that he was a street lowlife, or thug - but Tony Stark actually uses the word 'pimp' in his description of the Falcon's early days.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

25. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    That's Mark Millar for you.