main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

[​IMG]

patchworkz7 likes this.
  2. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I could introduce you to a couple of my cosplaying friends who are total A-types and could give a Civil War reenactor a run for their money on having everything exactly right ;p

The reenactor I was talking about took it to really silly extremes, down to the screws in the black powder rifle looking too new (and they were, I'd helped the other guy fix his [working] muzzleloader), but at a certain point it just gets a little silly.

I think it was Valin who said it went beyond gender, and that's my point as well; it's that thing about people stepping into our areas of expertise. If I run into someone and discover they're student of Victorian literature, or they find out I'm a former English major, there tends to either be a sense of "Cool! We like the same things!" or "Hmmm...well, what's your opinion on the theme of Keats' later work?", where the latter reaction is more of a "Wait, I'M the Victorian lit person in my circle of friends, who does this dude think he is?!?"

However, I wouldn't presume to suggest that when it's a women stepping into something considered to be a male field...well, men can get even more territorial, imo.

3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    People with problems with top hats probably wouldn't bother with the asking questions and would just rush straight to shooting at him.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or not, an authentic musket takes a while to load and fire :p

Findswoman likes this.
  5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Pretty much. I had the chance to fire one once. They're big, heavy, and annoying. :p

6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Just to clarify--the Sircar thing didn't happen on Twitter, it happened in the Q&A session of the Rebels SDCC panel. This wasn't an internet troll, this was a bonafide idiot who was comfortable saying whatever he said in front of thousands of people and god knows how many cameras. And that said...
    I look at it like this: Freddie Prinze Jr was on that panel too. If I were of a mind to question someone's geek cred, he's the first person I would go to--but he married Buffy, so he gets a pass.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000

At least Internet trolls have shame enough to hide behind an Internet persona. To do it in person takes a certain kind of monstrous gall.

Also why are we questioning the cred of /actors/ ? Some of them really hate their roles, like Sam Neill -- but he played a great Dr Grant so he gets a pass. But if actors actually want to embrace their roles, why are we being critical again? Isn't that a good thing?

I don't care if Sircar wasn't a SW fan before. It's cool that she's one now. Isn't that good enough?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Freddie Prinz Junior was in that Wing Commander abomination so I'd be questioning his acting credentials before his Star Wars ones.

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    People say the stupidest things at Q&A parts of panels. It's weird. I've yet to see a single panel, regardless of the industry or franchise, that doesn't have a handful of face-palm worthy questions that could be solved with a bit of common sense and Google. And you have to be really really convinced that it'll be a good question if you're willing to go up to a microphone in front of thousands of people and run your gob. It's an odd dynamic, conviction and certainty mixed with utter stupidity.

For example: I recently watched a recorded panel done by Achievement Hunter, at RTX, the Rooster Teeth convention. Achievement Hunter, for background, is a group of guys and girls (including one of the founding members of RT) who record video games with live commentary and puts them on YouTube for comedy purposes. The fifth or sixth person to the QA mic was someone who went up, said that they were unfunny and overrated, and left without actually asking a question. In front of about two thousand of the group's biggest fans, at a convention run by the company that runs Achievement Hunter, in a panel dedicated to them. Balls of steel, yes, but also the brains of a goldfish.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What does it say about me that I've asked questions at least once at every con I've been to? :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    That you're a man of great convictions.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I ask good questions. It's not my fault that they keep lying to me.

Srsly. "Will the Remnant be in LOTF?" "We have no plans for that." LIES

"Any plans to continue author collaborations or SWAJ style short stories?" "We will be releasing a bunch if new stories online as well as all the old Hyperspace ones." LIES

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You should remember to tape it and later sue them for... I dunno, free Imperial badges.

15. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    They should use Tiya Sircar's name for a character in the show just to annoy that guy.

Kahara, Revanfan1 and TrakNar like this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Ayit Racris, for the win! :D

Kahara, Revanfan1, TrakNar and 4 others like this.
  17. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Yeah, this is a trend that makes no sense to me. It reminds me of an interview with Karen Gillan a month or two ago where she expressed interest in headlining a film as a Marvel superhero and the interviewer suggested Spiderwoman. Gillan had never heard of her, but was still enthusiastic about it. Cue the comment complaining about casting someone who didn't know anything about the source material. And I'm thinking, who cares? She's an actor, it's her job to create a believable and good quality performance out of the material, whether she knows a pre-existing character's background or not. How many times have we read about performers avoiding previous material because they wanted to do their own interpretation? They didn't want to have that baggage? Geek cred can be a nice bonus, but you don't even have to like the story to do a great and memorable performance, right, Alec Guinness?

Kylun, Jedi Ben, Iron_lord and 3 others like this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Speaking of diversity, the new casting for GoT is interesting on diversity grounds (which necessitated departures from the books, but I don't mind so much).

Spoiler blocked for those who don't want to see it:

MercenaryAce and Gorefiend like this.
  20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    [​IMG]

He was just following in Mark Hamill's footsteps.

Kylun likes this.
  21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Wing Commander 1-5 was amazing! I will hunt down anyone who claims otherwise! [face_not_talking]

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Nice. I've been waiting for the cover art and they did not disappoint.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Read the link G.

CooperTFN likes this.