main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

And even if they would.... yeah... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads [face_plain]

Creators, because they really should know better and I liked Sarah, and have not played the Among the Ruines episode yet, so [face_phbbbbt] @ forced outcome

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Indeed. If they hated the character so much, why did they create her?

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

I mean Jeezus. Is this really the same people who made the first season? I find that hard to believe.

Gorefiend likes this.
  4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

*goess to build an all female units army*

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "Fight like a woman you roman boy-man!"

Gorefiend likes this.
  6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Continuing with the discussion, as I had finally gotten some thoughts in order...

The thing that the article fails to mention that I've brought up elsewhere is that people are unpredictable. When the world goes straight to hell, even the most well-adjusted non-disabled person can fall apart under great duress. This is not something that is exclusive to disabled people. And in a series that lauds itself for having a "realistic" portrayal of human behavior during a disaster, it apparently forgets that key fact that people are unpredictable. Normal people can fall apart and disabled people can maintain a level head.

Elsewhere, when I discussed this article, I've gotten responses from a couple people that amount to "in the real world, disabled people are cannon fodder." I found that to be quite appalling. This is an example of the real-life ramifications that such an ableist attitude can have, even if the attitude was originally toward a fictional character.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Have you seen the protests and outrage on the forums over it? And not just the excusable "these are fictitious" but also the "these offend me because I am terrible."

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Strategy gamers are the worst, between Total War and Paradox ones.

And I say that as a player of both.

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No
    Really?

10. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    If we want to get into that no male Gladiator units in Roman armies either. :p The other female units are actually not that bad history wise, as there is enough accounts of our “Roman Friends” being utterly freaked out when Barbarian woman faced them in battle.

You know I have so given up on listening to anything people say online about Rome 2 because from the sound of it is not only the worst game ever made, but it also killed their entire family and ate their dog just for the fun, whilst also running off with their girlfriend. [face_dunno]

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, gladiators were raised on many occasions during civil wars... usually during the imperial period, but also during the convulsions of the late Republic. The thing is that gladiators actually weren't awesome, because they were entertainers who would get smashed by real soldiers every time. They were good at intimidating civilians though. The evidence for gladiatrices is sketchy either way, but the important thing is that there would not have been an all-female group.

Not that I care -- when I play CK2, I often go for the gender neutral succession laws, as "unrealistic" as they are -- but I can understand why people would be really annoyed by it. My thinking is: if you don't like them, don't... make use of them?

And I have little issue with barbarians making use of females (and am in fact a little perplexed as to why the Iceni, of all people, can't have female generals or any female units given that their faction symbol is inspired by Boudicca. She's the only reason the faction exists, even though her revolt wouldn't be for centuries later). But again the complaints against all-female units are probably valid on historical grounds, but my thinking is -- again -- if it bothers you, don't use them.

Oh, I didn't mean the normal whining about Rome 2. I mean people who say that the existence of female units ruins the game for them, and makes them physically ill. Rampant misogyny cloaked in chivalry -- or straight up misogyny, of the sort that say it's unrealistic for any female warrior to beat a male one.

But while we're on the subject, now that EB2 is out it's hard to see myself ever going back to the superficial (though very pretty) Rome 2 :p

Gorefiend and Vthuil like this.
  12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    How dare they give players options!

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yeah they are pretty useless in Rome 2 as well. :p Though I heavily doubt they actually used their “stage weapons and armour” if included in armies, which is more the thing that irks me in Rome 2.

Yep, always found that really odd as well.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Break out the chainsaws - we shall render these people as 'one of us', with tourniquets, but without anesthetic!

TrakNar likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Of course. Because—at least to my understanding—whether one falls apart easily or maintains a level head easily is not about someone's function of mental ability or neurological condition, it's about personality type, plain and simple.* Disabled people as well as nondisabled people come in all personality types. To say that all mentally disabled people fall apart under stress is just as unfair a blanket statement as saying that all women (for example) fall apart under stress.

I'm no expert on these matters, but this at least this is how it seems to me ("...said Booker T.").

*And please let's not get into the whole thorny issue of whether things like personality type are 100% neurologically determined—there's probably some thread about that in JCC. I have every confidence that you all know what I mean here.

Gorefiend, Jedi Ben, Zorrixor and 2 others like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Funny thing: the classic swedish wild west RPG Western is coming out in its fourth edition and is right now on the last days of its crowdfunding and one of the books they will publish is Dakota & Deadwood (sorry about the small size)
    [​IMG]

so maybe I will find out what Deadwood is. Even if the book I have paid for is the third core rolebook: Amerika 1876
    [​IMG]

And just because I like the art, the covers to the first two core rulebooks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. moonjump05

moonjump05 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 2013
    ^It kinda amazes me that stuff based in the American wild west could be popular across the world:)

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding so are, or at least was, wild west stories rather big in Sweden. I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but I know that both the Italians and Czechs have made their own western movies and there are some Franco-Belgian wild west comics.

EDIT: Some characters sample from some of the already published adventures, CooperTFN how is the representation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    art from http://lukasthelin.blogspot.se/

Valin__Kenobi and MistrX like this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Hmpf. Deadlands is cooler.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe, but one of Western's strength is how historically realistic it is.

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Mostly it's a personal preference, but I find those to be the least interesting - like playing Gangbusters* instead of Call of Cthulhu.

*(For those of you that aren't old and don't have knowledge of early RPGs, Gangbusters was a 1920s RPG that is exactly what you think it is based on the name alone)

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can understand that but with so many "fantastic" RPG it is nice with one who try to be realistic, even if they give the opportunity to introduce the supernatural. And after all many of the PC are going to believe in something supernatural, and you can also play one who deals with it:
    [​IMG]

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    That is rather similar to Deadlands, at least.

But no Hucksters, I note - or more importantly, mad scientists. I can't play a Wild West game without mad scientists. :p

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Pretty art. Diversity Score: 30

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks