main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You could play a scientist who suffer from madness if you want.:p

blackmyron likes this.
  2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    All I could possible say on that is Hidalgo.

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I bring up Jake, a character in an Ace Attorney case who was big into the Old West.

Then I point to stuff like Burst Angel and Wild Arms.

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Hey, Syrio Forel is going to be in Episode VII! Score another one for more diversity in the cast, even if it does end up being a tiny role. Like Jay Laga'aia-esque or something.

I just wish the BBC could have used this for its page image:

[​IMG]

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They are now offering books about New Orleans and New Mexico & Santa Fe! My wallet don't need this temptation :_|

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    So, apparently, DC has decided that they need to put another few eggs in the TV basket and are "reportedly" developing a Supergirl show from one of the guys behind Arrow and the dude who did Chuck. Not that I'm at all against having a Supergirl show in concept, but, it wouldn't be my first choice, especially if they aren't going to cross the universes between the TV and movie characters.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm sure it'll turn out every bit as awesome as that Wonder Woman show a few years back. You know, the one with the girl who's on SHIELD now.

Valin__Kenobi and Cynical_Ben like this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    With someone from Arrow working on it, hopefully it'll turn out well.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have people seen the new Magic: the Obsession block: Khans of Tarkir?

Seems rather divers to me

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    "Pants to be Darkened"!

Gorefiend and CooperTFN like this.
  12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No wonder Vader's advocating for female workers- he just came from Starfleet. :p

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Love it! Very appropriate timing, too.

CooperTFN and Iron_lord like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So, AND. Very mild spoilers to follow.

Since I now have the luxury of pretty much starting from scratch (and since the book doesn't have a DP anyway), I'm trying a different tack from now on--total named character counts. By my count, AND has 19 named characters, 11 of which are definite non-WHMs. This gives the book a disappointing but not out-of-the-ordinary score of 58. I had hoped that casting a wider net would result in better numbers generally, but in this case, for every random alien miner or whomever there was a random male Imperial. Jello's vaunted 3/4-female stormie squad would've helped a bit, but none of them have names, as they're only really in there for like two pages. I'll have more thoughts on ETE later, but generally, as usual, I think JJM is better at this than his raw numbers tend to indicate. What's interesting is that he only explicitly calls one character--Tarlor Choh--"light-skinned", and all the others are left to inferences based on hair color and so on. Conversely, several characters, even extremely minor ones, get references to their skin being "tan" or "ruddy" or some such, so it's very hard to believe that the characters of ambiguous race are anything but intentional, and a matter of writing style rather than JJM just not bothering to think about it.

The one asterisk here is that the excerpt running in this month's Insider is supposed to have a few images with it--so it's fairly likely that at least one of my ambiguous WHMs could be confirmed one way or another.

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Too many acronyms. Far too many acronyms for us poor folk who didn't take ESSW (English-Speaking Star Wars) as a second language in school :confused:

Gamiel likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    AND - A New Dawn
    JJM - guy who wrote A New Dawn
    DP - Dramatis Personae
    WHM - White Human Male
    ETE - the thing in my sig

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Some random bits...

First, courtesy of Valin: The Secret Fight of the Black-Girl Nerds
    Second, on a very related note, I wanted to share this great comment we just got on ETE (and it wasn't even a diversity article):
    Third, small addendum to my AND numbers from earlier--I forgot Obi-Wan and Depa in the monologue, which means 9 WHMs and a total score of 57. My full reaction will be on ETE tomorrow.

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    That's a great story.

On a more depressing note, here's a reminder that whitewashing still happens even when we've seen the character and know definitively that he/she is not white. (minor A New Dawn spoiler)

Too bad, because otherwise the drawing is pretty good.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Wow.

On the plus side, it's good to know that dragging that confirmation out of Pablo continues to have been worthwhile.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    That Western RPG rulebook reminds me of the Edge of The Empire Star Wars RPG game I played a few weeks ago. We were all pleasantly surprised by the diversity in the interior art of the core rulebook. For example, each of the character classes was represented by one human and one alien species respectively and there was a lot of diversity among both. The aliens weren't (entirely) stereotyped and the female humans and aliens weren't totally sexualized.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    It actually looks like the artwork above was done by Magali Villeneuve. I've enjoyed her artwork for a long time as an ASOIAF /Game of Thrones fan.

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So I now have it straight from the horse's mouth that Hetto and Tarlor Choh are unofficially a Rodian and a Muun, respectively, bringing AND's score--unofficially--up to a 67. This could be a whole topic of conversation we've never even considered in this thread before; author headcanon upping not just the POC count but the alien count. Very interesting, and I can appreciate why he chose to handle them the way he did even if it makes my job a little trickier.

PS - OMG you guys JJM read my thing

23. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Wow, that's cool that he responded! I can understand the author's dilemma. You want to be clear that certain characters are aliens or POCs, but at the same time you don't really want to make a big deal out of it when the narrative doesn't call for it. .

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999