main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I was referencing this:

As Cynical Ben mentions in his follow up post, TCW did this on multiple occasions all things considered. I can think of a lot of episodes that pass the mentioned test, all with multiple female leads/villains. A lot more than two actually if we broke it down.

I just think credit should be given where credit is due, thats all.

Gamiel likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The striking thing is more that it's happening so early than that it's happening at all, I think.

3. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    It's designed to confuse people.

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

And with the main cast, too.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I want to see a Zeb and Ezra episode about girl talk.

Then we can say that the show's broken barriers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel and CooperTFN like this.
  6. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The most surprising thing about a 22-minute cartoon passing the Betchel test is that people actually had a minute-long conversation period.

Edit: Oh, I checked and the conversation can actually be any lenght. I don't know where I got the one minute from but I could have sworn it was there to ensure the following doesn't count:
    "Hi, whatzzap?"
    "Hi. Just killing female aliens"
    "Oh, me too. Well, see ya"

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  8. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Artist Phil Noto did this cool sketch recently on his blog for a TFA trailer poster (minor spoilers if you're among the 0.001% who've not seen the trailer yet). Is it a spoiler to say this film has the hope of breaking major diversity barriers, especially in the sci-fi genre?:D

[​IMG]

JediMara77, Abadacus, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    On the subject of the trailer, I thought it was kind of neat that
    John Boyega's character was the very first thing to appear in it (if you don't count some sand).

10. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Wow, yeah if you take the trailer as it's own entity, it is much like Rebels in that it is Star Wars with the absence of white dudes. Just as the crew of the Ghost has a perfect score by Coop's no-WMH standards, so does the trailer---no big three, just a black guy, a white lady, and a Latino guy. Well, and a shrouded Sithy person of indeterminate gender/race.

11. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009

And to think, when the cast was announced there was such a huge uproar over the majority of white males there seemed to be. Glad that they've proven everyone wrong with the VERY FIRST pieces of film featuring no white males.

12. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Someone over in the Disney thread speculated based on body language that the indeterminate Sith-lite is played by Gwendoline Christie, but I don't agree. It's too slim to be her, Brienne of Tarth is rather more broad in the shoulders than that. Though it might be Lupita Nyong'o...

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Too tall, I think. I'm guessing either Gleeson or (more likely) Driver.

14. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, Driver is the obvious answer. I was going with one along the theme of the thread.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    My first thought on seeing that stormtrooper in the start of the trailer wasn't "ooh, diversity!"

It was "Is that guy still combing the desert?"

16. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002

There's still going to be white guys all over the place. We know that Han and Luke are in it, and also Mad Eye Moody Junior and weird looking guy from Girls, plus Max VonForgotwhathislastname was. The only two women they announced from the start were Carrie Fisher and Daisy. Gwendoline and Lupita were added later on. So....they haven't proven anyone wrong, except to have a trailer that appears more diverse than the end product will be.

17. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    By the way, I don't know what's more sad/awkward, the racists complaining that a stormtrooper is black or the racists complaining that stormtroopers are clones and should look like Jango Fett...under the assumption that Fett was white.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    sigh.

You people make it very hard to have a spoiler policy :p

edit: anyway

I do think it's great that the Boyega character was the first one we saw. I would hope that people would take it in stride, but people being people and this being the internet undoubtedly people have already decided to complain. This is why we can't have nice things.

Haven't seen similar comments about Ridley's character or Driver's character yet. I hope they end up being the new three central characters of the trilogy though: it'll be a great way to smash down the old stereotypes.

And now the books won't have excuses anymore not to think about diversity :p

19. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002

"You people"? What's that supposed to mean?! First it's "you people" and then it's "sandpeople ride in a straight line to obscure their numbers" and then it's "we don't serve your kind here" is that what that is Jello, huh, huh?!?!

20. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Just like the real world. :p

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "You Rebel scum" ? :p

Random Comments and MercenaryAce like this.
  22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I shall still doubt it not just being so utterly stupid that none of that will save it, it is a JJA movie after all. You know this guy.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What?

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Intresting enough many of those extras that played the ANH Stormtrooper where indeed black as can be seen pretty nicely in the Making Of ANH books.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    To me a sad part of this is that the folks who want the Legends universe to continue will continue to be villainized around the internet while large sites like TF.N will never offer up a front page article on these racist fans.

No effort will be made to distance the fandom as a whole from its racist fans in the way #WeWantLegends has been vocally tackled.