main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I apologize for the confusion... What I meant was that here, what you're saying makes perfect sense HERE... except that, by and large, this problem isn't really coming from here. I'm only saying it would be nerdragey to apply something found in the EU/non-film NEU---the basis of your claim that it's abjectly wrong---to people who dismiss that EU and everything that isn't in the movies. I'm saying that it doesn't explain anything in their own language, which is really the trick with things like this. You wind up arguing at cross-purposes.

If you wanna get philosophical about it, I just don't think there's anything anyone can do about ignorance. There's insensitive ignorance AND oversensitive ignorance, and frankly a hell of a lot of tokenism and the patronizing or dismissing of certain forms of racism out there on the part of people who claim to care about social issues; for one thing, a lot of new young ignorant sensitive people discount Jews as just another kind of privileged white people and stomp all over the individualized racism I've faced in my life (do you know how many times I got called "Jew-nose" in school? A LOT TIMES is how many. Or how my friend in 9th grade was told by his skinhead brother to stop lending me videogames because I wouldn't give them back? And the time my job performance suddenly became inexplicably unsatisfactory after it came out that I was of Jewish ancestry and I got fired, forcing my wife and I to move so I could work with my parents... Yeah.)

I live in the south, man. It happens, it sucks, sometimes on purpose and sometimes not, and personally I have a sense for the sort of racism which can have anything done about it directly. I'm only saying that casually throwing out statements like "all those racists over there in X thread" (something I've seen around here) isn't doing anybody any good.

Findswoman likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I won't claim absolute certainty that that hasn't happened, but I sure don't remember it, and it wouldn't be something I consider productive. Calling a specific action racist, consciously or unconsciously, would be one thing, but saying this group or that is entirely racist (especially when said group is defined simply as the participants of another thread or site) doesn't sound like something I'd go for.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    And that's the only reason I said anything... Not because I have any interest in the actual back-and-forth of the argument, but because I've seen it result in strong feelings, and those strong feelings result in a bit of improper generalization. I have no real beef with people who care a lot about it, but when it plays into the culture of direct accusation, I see a weapon where there should be a conversation.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also she's more of a phantom menace than the guy who is obviously wearing a hood in episode one. It's not until episode six that we see the true villain, Mothma.

And judging by the movies alone, you could argue that even if the Empire is the villain, Mothma is a callous leader who sends out many Bothans (whatever those are) to die in order to obtain information that is totally faulty.

Coop, you know that if one of your writers sent a bunch of people to their deaths and didn't even get the right info you'd totally fire them.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DelRiego likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, I'm the only one sending people to their deaths around here.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    So this is happening.

[​IMG]
    (sorry about the size, only copy of the pic I can find)

The posture might earn an eyeroll in normal circumstances, but for a Gillen book I'm extremely optimistic about this.

Rogue_Follower and Abadacus like this.
  7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Payday 2, a somewhat „brotastic“ bank robbing and heist simulator just released a female playable character and I love her. Since she is not only just as insane, crude and brutal as her male compatriots but like them just looks like a normal everyday person. :)

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...So, it seems those of you hoping for a LGBT character to show up on Rebels at some point might have a bit more reason to feel like it's possible after tonight's finale for The Legend of Korra.

Personally, I'm not as thrilled about it as I might have been under other circumstances - I feel like this show pandered way, way too much to shippers over its duration, and this is impossible not to see as more of that, at least in part. But still, the main protagonist of a kid's show being all but outright stated to end it in a same-sex relationship is nothing to sneeze at.

cdgodin, Ghost, Gorefiend and 2 others like this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I got wind of what was coming before I actually watched it, and compared to what I expected it to look like, this was actually pretty damn classy. I agree that relationships have been one of the show's weaker suits, so playing it as something more than "yay, Asami won!" was appreciated. I am curious, though, if they were unable to do a kiss or just decided to take this path.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You have seen Adventure Time, right?

cdgodin and Abadacus like this.
  12. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Cyberpunk asian genderswapped Han and evil droid duo? Yes, please.
    The posture is a bit pinup, but that's alright seeing as she's realistically dressed and not twisting her spine around to push her ass towards the camera (yeah, I'm looking at you, DC artists).
    It's attractive without being objectifying, and communicates a sense of attitude well.

This may be the first of the new comics I'm actually planning to buy at this point. Anyone got an opinion on the writer or interior artist? I'm only an occasional comic reader, but I'll do some googling.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Start by googling Young Avengers. Then Journey Into Mystery. Then The Wicked + The Divine. Or just go to Tumblr and swing a dead cat, as they say.

As for Salvador Larroca, aside from the cover image in question, he's been around for more than a decade and has always been pretty strong IMO, including doing a really great multi-year run on Iron Man recently.

I'm sure each of them have their detractors, but you're not going to find a higher-pedigree team for a comic outside of, well, Aaron and Cassaday on their main SW series.

Jedi Ben and Abadacus like this.
  14. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I should also mention that's always how I would have pictured a young Mirax Terrik. I'm fighting the urge to wish it was "Mirax" instead of "Aphra".
    And yes, for anyone wondering what it would take to get me excited about a new canon product, the answer is apparently "cyberpunk asian genderswapped Han Solo". I'm amazed that I've typed that twice now.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Damn, now I'm not. :p We could've had it aaaalllllllllll

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Her face remind me of Death of the Endless as she is seduced by James Bond

[​IMG]
    art by Nick Perks

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/105916338157/korrasami-is-canon-you-can-celebrate-it-embrace

18. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, that was quicker than I expected.

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. Third and fifth paragraphs of that quote are key.

II. I still laugh when creators reference ships and all that, and wonder if they think we're all insane.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

cdgodin and CooperTFN like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, half the joy in that is just seeing him use Koorasami, Zutara, etc.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I kinda wish Sokka had actually used the term Gaang when he was trying to come up with nicknames for the group.

Also notice his conspicuous silence about how Zutara is totally plausible now. :p

Edit: EIP in season 3 was totally a reference to the shipping wars though.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm just glad they shot down the idea that it was done mainly to cater to the fans. The thought of shippers having a positive effect on the world made me feel queasy.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Are you denying the greatness that is WACKBAR?!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Phooey--I will always believe in Wedge/Ackbar no matter what they say.

Valin__Kenobi and Darth_Duck like this.
  25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012

Lol especially if it a total accident even more so with animated shows where its not just runaway chemistry of actors and actresses