main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    http://www.vox.com/2015/1/28/7930845/political-correctness-doesnt-exist

Valairy Scot, Mia Mesharad and Vthuil like this.
  2. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
  3. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

I prefer the explanation proffered by Sam Witwer during his commentary of ROTS on RebelForce Radio - Anakin actually quite severely (fatally) injured her, and she was kept alive by her strong connection to the Force through Luke and Leia still gestating within her. When they were removed, her connection died and so did she.

I mean overall I'd prefer that a proper explanation was given but I of the not terrible ones we can cobble together that is my preference.

4. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ....Er, while I won't deny that people do use it to dismiss issues, it does have a defection - it means to use a term that is more commonly accepted by the current political climate.

The example my textbook gave was using the term "police action" instead of "war."

Gamiel and Cynical_Ben like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Except there's an important reason the term police action is used -- it's not PC, it's terms of art.

And besides the favored term is currently armed conflict because it encompasses both, hence the law of war frequently being called the law of armed conflict (LOAC) instead. And of course when we say law of armed conflict, we're usually not referring to non-international armed conflicts and when we say non-international we don't mean domestic and...

Well, you get the idea. Words have meaning, it's not just about sounding nice. :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Mia Mesharad and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I kind of even agree with the term "war" falling out of favor, because even the worst modern conflicts are so different from what "war" typically meant in the past.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, even back in the 50s they were calling Korea the "Korean Conflict". People nowadays reserve capital-W "War" for hindsight unless it's something they're rah-rah about (War on Terror) or condemning (Iraq War).

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    For the Koreans, it was (and still is) a war. For the UN forces it actually was a police action -- and one that was largely launched by the UNGA under R2P if I recall, too. It just ended up being a lot messier than people thought: such that the term war seems more appropriate given the scale of the participation involved. But it's still a colloquialism.

The war on terror is another colloquialism and a bad one at that, as it was pretty explicitly grounded under the AUMF against non-state actors. Iraq, on the other hand, was pursuant to a pre-existing UNSCR (the one that provisionally halted the international peacekeeping action we called Desert Storm).

None of them are actually wars, though Korea and Iraq are definitely international armed conflicts. The designation has some fairly significant ramifications given the insistence by some that the conflict was governed by APII (which the U.S. is not a party to).

But because none of these are wars, it alters the balance of power between the executive and legislative in ways that wouldn't occur during wartime. And those are just the domestic consequences mind you.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Cute. I doubt anybody on the ground gives a **** whether you call it a "police action" or "armed conflict" or "cupcake happy party" when "collateral damage participants" "become deceased" in "unspecified numbers" due to "intentional weapon system activations".

Using a casual definition of PC, political correctness and terms of art are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, terms of art are sometimes created because of a need to provide euphemisms that help "sell" otherwise unpalatable concepts. "Enhanced interrogation techniques", for example.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Except that's not a term of art, and was a deliberate euphemism. War is different -- as large-scale state-to-state conflicts decreased in the 20th centuries, and as conflicts increasingly became asymmetrical there became a need to categorize those sorts of conflicts and figure out what rules apply to them. Otherwise, you have people who argue that the Geneva Conventions don't apply because it's not a war. The reason these terms of art exist is precisely so states are still obligated to regulate their behavior during a conflict -- LOAC is also called international humanitarian law for a reason, RF.

So you can put your activism hat back on the coat rack and save it for KK or Smuggler or someone.

edit: To make it clearer, think of the term murder. Coloquially people just use it to mean killing. But murder has very specific consequences that run of the mill killing does not, and when someone says "that's not murder" they don't mean "oh that sounds so awful let's use a nicer word like 'unexpected termination of vital functions by a third party's agency'" -- it means that murder is a specific thing that causes specific penalties.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah.

Maybe a less contentious example than the one you gave would be terms that get changed to a different euphemism every generation due to negative connotation. For example, and I'm not even sure if this is up to date, but now we use "intellectual disability", when before it was mentally challenged, mentally retarded before that, before that there were words like idiot and imbecile that were actually standard terms used by professionals, but then became obvious insults.

Same thing with disabled. Handicapped before that, crippled before that.

Sometimes it's not about meaning, it is about sounding nice. Not that I have a problem with that. I'm pretty sure some very hurtful words that count as a real grievance fall under this. See the JCC's Disallowed Word List for reference.

Though I agree, political correctness certainly exists, to be real, usually when I see people whine about political correctness, it's not because they used an outdated term, it's because they just said something exceptionally intolerant or prejudiced (use your imagination). So.

But I did find it amusing that the article dismisses the very existence of political correctness...because it's dismissive.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had not looked at this thread in a couple of weeks and now there is so much to respond to, and I have to go to work.

Really quickly here though...

Indeed. You would think that in 2015, we would have moved past the stage where the "boys" aisle had all the action figures and the "girls" aisle was lace and sparkles and pink **** everywhere.

I have every Padme and Leia action figure and the first AOTC action figure I bought was Zam (who, thinking about it, is an underrated character). I also have several Padme dolls from TPM, still in the boxes, promoted in the girls' aisle for their outfits.

...now that could be a positive, letting the girly-girl types know that there is a place in the Star Wars fandom for them. The marketing Star Wars as primarily a "boys' franchise" is what's problematic, and the idea that Disney seems to have taken a step backward in seeing it that way, makes me uneasy.

High school sucked for a lot of people, and I'm just glad that bullying is now taken seriously. I get that these guys don't feel privileged, but I think a lot of people misunderstand what is meant by "male privilege."

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep of all the pointless waste in the movie, her just getting offed has to be most severe.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Zam was TOTALLY underused! Plus she had some hilarious dialogue in the EU (even if she was in what, 3 things?). It's too bad she's from that weird time period right before AOTC, when the EU is sort of dull and un-warsy and most authors shy away from dealing it.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not like there was all that much time in which to write stuff, before AoTC came out. Hence, it was mostly comics and children's books written in that period.

Notable exception - Zahn wrote in that in-between period after AOTC and ROTS (Outbound Flight).

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    True. The thing is, it seems nobody* wants to go back to it cuz it's not glamorous or epic like TCW or Imps vs Rebels. At least Republic comics realized it could be used as a way to show all the chaos and pirating going on in the more outer Rims that set the basis for the Clone Wars (the Stark Hyperspace War was actually a really good idea to set a "war" during the "peace" time, come to think of it). But now nobody* really wants to write for that era again, so characters that could have had potential to do more, like Zam and Jango, are probably going to be left with Legends-exclusive backgrounds.

*Nobody, excluding Luceno, who has probably written the encyclopedic Tales of Everyone in the Old Republic which he takes excerpts from for every book he writes.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe we'll finally get a Yoda backstory, a name for his species, and their planet? There's lots of things in that period that Disney might think of as opportunities to showcase.

18. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    The pre-AOTC period also got shafted in another way. The stuff from 1999 to 2001 was set in the first few years after TPM, since no one knew the status quo of the next movie and they didn't want to get ahead of themselves. Understandable. But then Lucasfilm started coughing up the scripts, designs, etc and in late 2001 suddenly everything jumped to a year or two before AOTC, leaving 28 - 24 sparse and unlikely to be revisited.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

I hope not. I don't want everything explained to me. He's wise and mysterious. The end.

20. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    So you're saying...ignorance is bliss?

TrakNar likes this.
  21. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
  22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    ...yeah, that is not the role I would want Fassbender playing in the SW universe (he would make a kickass Imperial officer IMO). Unless the real Boba Fett shows up at the end and kills Fassbender!Fett, who turns out to be Jodo Kast.

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well let us just hope he never takes of the helmet, as it should be in a Boba movie.

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    It's starwarsunderworld. That's a pretty seriously kriffing big "if".

Cynical_Ben likes this.
  25. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    The source is the same iKwiz site that "broke" the rumor in the first place. Not believing that for a second.

TrakNar and CooperTFN like this.