main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I would, too. Especially if it was smutty.

Del Rey, I'm available to write this.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Fixed.

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

False, you are thinking of Luke smut.

The Loyal Imperial and CooperTFN like this.
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    We even have a cover ready and waiting to go.
    [​IMG]

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    UGH. :mad:

I hate that movie.

By all means let's step all the way the back into the ****ing 1950s, folks, since the fact that this stupid ****ing movie sold out in theaters just proves that we have not ****ing progressed AT ALL.

(And if someone comes in here and claims that it's just about consensual BDSM, I will ****ing lose my ****.)

And I just heard tonight that someone is selling 'weekends with Mr. Grey' in Vegas with helicopter rides and trips to the "black room." For $12,000 or so.

What the actual **** is wrong with people?

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I strongly dislike what this series and film indicates as well but has zero to do with the 1950s.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    wasn't this a subplot in the Corellian trilogy that no one remembers because that trilogy kind of sucked?

JediMara77 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The idea that there is any merit whatsoever to female submissiveness. It's very 1950s.

(Or for that matter, submissiveness of either partner, partnerships should never, ever, EVER be pigeonholed into one partner being submissive and the other being dominant. It's disgusting and dangerous.)

LOL, thank you.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My mental images were of Star Wars written in more awful "50 Shades" prose. Which, indeed, is terrifying enough.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Assuming that you have read the book/watched the film, what is the solution?

I'm never going to do either, but thats beside the point :p

So far I've seen politicians wanting to ban the film, and of course the ever progressive idea of good old fashioned book burnings never goes out of style.

Maybe censorship is in order, or perhaps the flat out shaming of people(largely women) who enjoy this franchise is the best course of action.

If there are millions of women who like this kind of story(and judging by box office results and book sales there are) should they not have that right?

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Continued advocacy for a society that recognizes that the manipulation and abuse of women is not entertainment, hoping that we reach a point where this **** no longer sells?

Vthuil and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Maybe there isn't an easy answer, but it does disturb me that many women are reading the books and watching the movie and not coming to the realization that a boring, abusive stalker isn't something to aspire to having as a soulmate.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is, it isn't new now is it? Twilight, 50 Shades, Gone Girl, Girl on the Train - all do some seriously screwy stuff. Stuff that I suspect if written by a male author would see him metaphorically carpet-bombed, but as these are by women, they're deemed daring and innovative. Don't get it.

Praenomen Cognomen likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    "Lowest common denominator" is just another way of saying "popular".

MistrX and Cynical_Ben like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I said this elsewhere on the boards, but of all the gals I know, the majority have read the book and none "liked" it in a genuinely positive, "this is quality literature" sense. A lot of them thought it was hilarious back when it was just a novel and couldn't wait to see the movie for that very reason. Like if Disney announced they were going to put the Holiday Special on the big screen. I was under the impression it was a cult "bad" (not just bawdy) book.

Gorefiend and Jedi Ben like this.
  17. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Today I spoke with an old female friend of mine who went out with a group to see it on Valentine's Day. She said "It was awesome, it was like being in my own MST3K episode."

Thank you, Joel and Mike, for helping the world cope with awful, stupid stuff by making fun of it.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, how many here know about the webcomic Sunstone?

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Never heard of it, but I have to say that any time you have to specifically say that
    you sound like you're protesting too much.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    take that with TvTropes, that's were I got the text

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any 'ghettos' for non-humans with similar physical builts/needs?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the Rogue Squadron books, and Illustrated Star Wars Universe, mention them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Protection_Zone

23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Coruscant has been mentioned to have some buildings that were build especially for aquatic species, as well as some with huge green areas favored by Ithorans and others that are close to nature. Though doubt those are really “Ghettos” per se. Nar Shaddaa at least has cultural ghettos though.

24. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The APZ is also in that Star Wars Assault Team app, so it's presumably still canon.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Iron_lord likes this.