main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    KotOR should get a mention. Apparently it is a bad thing because it is customizable, but the ability to play as a female character who is Darth Revan seemed really cool to me.

I still think the worst thing the Legends EU did was confine those games in canon by making Revan male - but that isn't the fault of the game itself.

2. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I don't think character customizers are bad. I love the choices a good one gives you, I played through Saints Row 2 through 4 with the same character: an Amanda Waller-type black woman who took no crap and destroyed everything in her path. I'm just not counting them as dedicated female protagonists, since you can just as just as easily play as a man or woman (or a humanoid abomination with only the vaguest of gender, depending on the game).

And yeah, making Revan a canonical male was a wasted opportunity. I love the contrast of seeing the towering Malak being subservient to a woman of average height, with Revan completely overmatching him in basically every way, intelligence, martial ability, cunning, foresight, Force affinity, etc. The games did a good job of rolling with whatever you chose to do, I especially liked how there were options for all four outcomes in KotOR 2 (lightside male Revan, lightside female, darkside male, darkside female) and each one changed the game's story. Really, post KotOR 2, the more that Revan was "explained", the less interesting *sigh* he became.

Ulicus , Barriss_Coffee and Gorefiend like this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

But unlike Bioshock they are actually fun to play and at least let you do something other than walk down a corridor and kill everything.

Jedi Ben and Kylun like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah -- my first Revan was female and I had assumed the Big Bad Revan everyone was talking about was a dude up until the twist. The way the flashbacks were done and how Malak was behaving, it never crossed my mind it could be anything otherwise.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Which is why that game was genius.

6. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And at the same time, the game spells it all out for you from the beginning (especially if you like conversations), and you just don't see it.

MercenaryAce and Kylun like this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    The real reason the game is genius, IMO, is that it tells the story of how Darth Sidious got a bump on the head and went on to save the galaxy from the evil fallen hero Darth Vader, who in his final moments wonders if he could have gone back to the light, as Sidious did.

Not so much the case if you're playing a female character. Yes, the dialogue is identical, but the fact Revan is always referred to as "Lord" conditions you to think "Oh, he was a dude".

I had suspicions about the connection between the PC and Revan very early on, and went back to play a female character to see if the opening crawl changed to "the Dark Lady Revan". The fact it didn't made me think, "Oh, guess I was wrong. Maybe I'm just a clone or something."

Being English, the idea that "Lord" could be gender-neutral didn't even cross my mind. :p

8. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I did play as female, but I thought it still worked. Then again, I sorta knew the plot twist anyway.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Which is why England is dumb. #diversitythread

Contessa likes this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't get it? Lord is for males, lady for females.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Sith Lord", however, has generally been used as a gender-neutral term.

Not sure what the American/English difference is supposed to be. Is it just that the latter are going to be more familiar with correct aristocratic titles or something?

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even in England, there are female Lords - Lord Mayors - and the Queen is the Lord of Mann.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    In Avatar, Azula and her niece Izumi were both referred to as "Fire Lord."

Maybe it is a bit of an American thing, but I have trouble seeing Lady being equivalent to Lord the way I see King and Queen being related. If anything, I associate lady more with gentleman.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    In point of fact, titles that say as "Lord" even when a female holds them are generally titles where it is extremely rare a female would ever hold them.

Secondly, lady is more often seen as a style rather than a title. E.g., Lady [given name] or Lady [holding]. Females who hold titles in their own right usually hold peerages, which are titled by their grade: e.g. "Lady [holding], [Title]-ess of [Holding]."

Lord, on the other hand, is used as both a style and as a title. Usually, when lord is used for a title it tends to be a title that is inferior to that of a peerage.

Gamiel likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    On a related note, I did notice that everyone in LotS calls Mors "sir"--I can't remember if that's typical in the Empire or new.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    In TCW, the clones call the Jedi generals -- including Ahsoka -- "sir." I'm fine with it but it keep reminding me of Marcie from Peanuts.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That was exactly my thought. Marcie from Peanuts.

Gorefiend likes this.
  18. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    So anyway, major recurring female antagonist next season of Rebels. That's good, I think the only one we've had on screen before is Ventress? Maybe Talzin? (But she was more of a wild card than a straight up antagonist.)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They should be calling her Excellency, she is a Governor after all. ;)

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah. I rolled a male Revan first so I was fine with the canonization, but I completely understand why some would want Revan to have been a female. Like you said, this average woman is indisputably the boss of this huge monster of a Sith Lord? Pretty cool. And I absolutely agree that KOTOR 2 did a great job with it; in fact, KOTOR 2 for me made Revan a deeper, more meaningful character than (s)he was in the first game. Game 1: action hero who went bad and then became good again. Game 2: brilliant military strategist who apparently chose the dark side for pragmatic reasons, only to turn back through the power of love and redemption. That is a pretty sick character arc. :cool:

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    (Game 3: Turns out that a cheap expy of Palps brainwashed him or whatever, I don't even know, let's make him a raid boss and then two versions??? I lost track what were we talking about???)

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Which is exactly why whenever anyone says TOR is KotOR 3 I want to punch them in the face.

Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I won't go into LotS spoilers but suffice to say Moff Mors' character and outlook is well-handled, with excellent use of subtlety.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Sure. I know that, now. This was in 2003. KotOR is largely what got me into the EU in the first place. :p

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999