main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Completely agree, AFS. If she doesn't win, she shouldn't be the one that gets made, and it's insulting to assume that she couldn't win on her own if they do that (plus a bit insulting to the winner, for not making it, no matter if it's Revan or that Gamorrean Guard). As for why Sabine, it's because she received enough nominations to get into the poll, and Hera apparently didn't. It's disappointing for sure (I like Hera a little better, too), but not entirely surprising. As an "action" figure, I guess Sabine works a little better.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The twist here is that Revan will be part of nucanon, but also a woman.

DurararaFTW and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I never said my fandom of Revan was based on him being a man. :p

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The idea that the poll is fixed is silly, and the idea that they'd telegraph it by having Filoni openly campaign for it is sillier.

I can't fathom a conspiracy theory about an action figure poll when the creator of a TV show is doing something so unexpected as advocating for something from his show!

And a conspiracy to have a female figure win? There's no conspiracy if voting advocacy is overt and public, and why are people freaking out about a female character winning anyway?

I was arguing about this on twitter earlier, and the notion came up to some sort of "undue influence" about SW VIPs supporting Sabine. Yeah, they're fans too and get to have opinions. They're not holding guns to people's heads.

I don't want to speculate about motivations, but I wonder sometimes.

Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  5. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Lucasfilm is just a bunch of fans with jobs, anyway. :p

I'm just happy that, unlike certain other series' *cough*GameofThrones*cough* that have fans in charge, Filoni and Pablo and such actually understand what makes the source material great.

6. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Considering the beauty of The World of Ice and Fire, and LFL's apparent disinterest in producing anything like The Jedi Path or The Essential Atlas, I'll have to disagree with you on that.

7. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm not talking about ASOIAF tie-in books, I'm talking about GoT. Did you see season five? [face_sick]

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    You mean that season of that show that was totally fine in the eyes of macro-viewers and totally loathed in the eyes of micro-viewers?

"When you watch the Game of Thrones, you win... or you get too obsessed and put yourself in a position where you could never win. Also, eventually, you'll die."

:p

spicer and Gamiel like this.
  9. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Ugh, no. I'm only interested in ASOIAF.

But as far as Star Wars is concerned, the fans that actually understood what makes the source material great aren't in charge - otherwise Dan, Jason, Abel and James would be on Storygroup. Instead, we have the guy who hates fans, and the guy who was saying "Another Death Star plans story? Sure, no problem!".

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is the one with the incest, lots of killing and betrayal, death of beloved character and plot twists that give you whiplash?

11. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I'm referring mostly to Filoni and Pablo. And I've met them in person and heard them talk about it - they really do get it.

As opposed to GoT's showrunners, who think that substituting Sansa Stark for Jeyne Pool is no problem at all.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Imperial Handbook is pretty new.

But in general, let's give them some time before trying to tie up everything and limit storytelling possibilities to flesh out lore for lore's sake.

You may even find that some of the writers who write all the lore stuff agree that storytelling takes priority right now.

13. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    And I'm not even talking about background lore fleshing, I'm talking about actual storytelling. And if I'm comparing GoT as an interpretation of ASOIAF to Rebels as an interpretation of Star Wars, it's obvious which set of fans actually understand the source material. Yes, one is an adaptation and one is a standalone story, but the choices that each of them make storytelling-wise say a lot. (A lot good in Rebels' case, and a lot bad in GoT's case)

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh yeah I have nothing but contempt for GoT now. I actually let go any book lover obsessiveness in the prior seasons and was willing to accept it as its own thing and enjoy it. But yeah... this last season shows that these guys aren't very good except when GRRK holds their hands. They mistake shock for good writing and they mistake it as the reason for their success.

The show still has an immense following, but even show-only viewers are dropping out this season. The show runners are obsessed with VAW, T&A, and shock.

I closed out the season but I was out before that. And I won't be back, unless somehow I convince myself it's worth watching that drek to avoid future book spoilers.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Vthuil, Abadacus and Kablob like this.
  15. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    I'm guessing that was already on the plate before the changeover - especially since it's one of the forbidden "Legacy" books.

Storytelling should always be the priority for the novels, TV shows and movies. It's the support material that's lacking, and we know why - they're terrified of saying anything for fear of limiting any future storytelling. They've gone from one extreme to another, it seems. I mean, wouldn't it be great from their perspective to have FFG being their WEG? But we know that will never happen. (From a purely selfish standpoint, of course, I hope they only do Legacy until the end of time, as long as they continue to make stuff like Mask of the Pirate Queen.)

But I digress - we're wandering afield from the thread topic. ;)

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed, which is also why the "Legends" business happened, because they are terrified to follow anything that isn't film or television, even books and comics directly tied to the films like LoE and SotE, again out of fear of limiting any future storytelling.

Davak24 likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, look, a thread for this.

*slowly leans back in chair*

:cool:

Jedi Ben, JediMara77 and Cynical_Ben like this.
  18. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I have no problem with this.

DurararaFTW and Ulicus like this.
  19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

One of us, one of us

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I finally got around to searching for his comment, and I'm a little disappointed. Not in Filoni; it's not his fault. I'm just miffed that we got to this point.

This is the tweet in question for those who haven't read it: https://twitter.com/dave_filoni/status/618105138746540032

How did it get to the point we're voting whether or not to make action figures for the lead female characters in a show? Back in my day we had Pink and Yellow Power Ranger toys up the wazoo and nobody batted an eye. I had their pogs, I had their posters, I had their little transformer ripoffs. I got one of those giant supermarket balloons of the Yellow Ranger at a birthday. These things were not questioned. And Power Rangers was not Disney (at the time) -- Disney has enough money to do circles around them. They can make any characters they want. Voting for figures used to be for obscure movie characters like Ody Mandrell or a new Muftak or EU ones like Talon Karrde. It wasn't for the main lead of a major Disney show!!!

WTF people WTF.

22. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Yeah, I'm a little mystified by this whole thing as well. I don't understand why they don't have a figure for each of the ghost crew characters, their are only six of them. When I was a kid their were like several hundred gi joe action figures.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They already have action figures for all of them. Crappy ones, anyway. They're TV stylized too, but that doesn't prevent them from (as Coop puts it) having functional elbows.

The poll is over the 6-inch Black Series figures, which are more detailed. Only a handful of these are made, as opposed to regular Black Series figures which try to cover every character ever.

So if Sabine gets it, she'll be only the second Rebels character (after Ahsoka) to have one.

It's a little different because previous Fans Choice polls were for regular figures, which is why they often had weird characters because there were already regular figures for main ones.

But all this aside, there aren't even regular Black Series figures for Rebels anyway bc they get the lesser-tier figures instead. Which is utterly lame. And you can't get Hera or Sabine alone, you have to get stormies with them. And they're impossible to find...

So in conclusion, the poll is different but Hasbro still sucks anyway and I'm not actually defending their conduct with Rebels so far.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

24. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Right, I know I'm not up to speed with the toys, but I do recall reading how it was hard to find Hera figures and that seems strange.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was in Target a few days ago and there was a large Kanan and a large Lucius Inquisitorous. No regular-sized figures at all for Rebels. For the Black figures, the only woman was bikini Leia. [face_plain]