main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You have to wonder -- do these Powers-That-Be making the decisions even go to conventions? Take the Celebrations for example. Half the people there are women, and they're not just wives being dragged along. And don't get me started on the comic cons.

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    That's why it's so frustrating! Kathleen Kennedy specifically addressed the issue of women in Star Wars at Celebration. I know she gets it. I know other people do, too. But then stuff like this happens.

It also doesn't help that the Star Wars films have no female writers or directors. Which is odd, considering the presence of several women in the Story Group.

All that said, I am hoping they prove me wrong and Rogue One is filled with lots of female secondary and background characters, and that the movie really is focused on Felicity Jones' character.

3. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    I wonder if it is symbolic that the only new white dude characters in TFA's cast are bad guys :p

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's justified if they have British accents. We're all bad guys. I'M THE BADDEST GUY OF THEM ALL.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

It's either all bad guys are British, or all people living in ancient times are British (such as Greeks, Egyptians, etc.)

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Sure thing, buttercup. *head pat*

Iron_lord and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    Adam Driver isn't a Brit!

cwustudent likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

I know, but it seems that most of the Star Wars villains have been, well, non-American at the very least (Sidious, Tarkin, Maul, Dooku, the Inquisitor from season 1 of Rebels, etc.). It sets up a stereotype that if an actor playing a character is British, then he must be a villain.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What if the movie comes out and Daisy and John are doing American accents and Adam is doing a British accent.

10. Trisdin Gheer

Trisdin Gheer Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2013
    Cool picture though.

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    bants

What if Driver is doing the Prowse thing and Ren is actually being voiced by Nolan North or Troy Baker.

Or Mark Hamill.

12. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    He does have kind of a Joker look to him.

Iron_lord and Gorefiend like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Though he might get his head blown off again if he ries to branch out to far from SW @ Mark ;)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It looks nice but I prefer my Star wars a bit more Flash Gordon then Guillermo del Toro. Where are the bright primary colours!

Edit: is it just me or do the guy to the farther right look like he is blind?

15. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    what if his Vader fanboyism goes to such an extent that they just have James Earl Jones because he uses the same vocabwhatever

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I wouldn't even be mad.

17. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The guy on the right is absolutely blind, and he's almost absolutely holding a lightsaber can Master Zao style.

Hi.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or better yet, they use the same kind of Vader voice changer that I got from Toys R Us when I was 7.

What a dork.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you haven't already, I recommend you check these trades out:

http://www.amazon.com/Battlefields-...1-1&keywords=ennis+battlefields+night+witches

http://www.amazon.com/Garth-Ennis-Battlefields-Volume-Motherland/dp/1606902210/ref=pd_bxgy_14_text_y

http://www.amazon.com/Garth-Ennis-B..._sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=09DB4BA65M45A3ESBXF6

Battlefields was a series of war stories, but there were couple of characters that he returned to across the series, one was a tank crew, led by Corporal Stiles and the other was the story of Anna Kharkova, which is the 3 volumes linked to.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    What gives you the idea there won’t be any colour in the movie? They just happen to a Commando team in a dingy dirty Rebel base. Primary colours were also rather rare at Yavin and Hoth as you might recall ;)

Or you know it is just a normal staff. :p

rumsmuggler and cwustudent like this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002

Or you know it is just a normal staff. :p[/quote]
    Wellp, maybe, but I'd argue that physical blindness as had a strong symbolic hold on Star Wars since ANH. Also, if you zoom in, the top looks like it has a blade emitter fitted to it, as well as some metal pieces in the middle.

22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Actually looks more like the ending a Force Pike would have.

23. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    This is pretty much the same thing I do. I assume there are gays naturally integrated everywhere and we just never get to know them.
    It's not terribly satisfying, but it beats agreeing with the narrative that we don't exist.

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    =D=

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That was another thing factoring into the question I asked earlier, actually.