main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True, but Yavin and Hoth had a brighter dingy dirty look giving it a bit different impression.

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    [​IMG]

Man, oh man, what a time to be alive. I mean...

I just...

This means so much to me.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Starwars.com's FB page just did something awesome: Star Wars' official Facebook account schools fan bothered by lack of 'feminine' armor

Their FB page had been showcasing images from the film, including sort of a contest regarding Phasma. To which someone commented and SW reponded:

[​IMG]

For those interested, the contest can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/StarWars/photos/a.184244804960462.62918.169299103121699/1016173175100950/

...the comments section, while mostly positive, does have the usual few bad apples. Such as "Force diversity is lame" ("liked" a couple of times [face_plain]) or "If the armor doesn't have to look feminine, then why does the character have to be female?"

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Phasma will ride eternal, shiny and chrome. :phasma:

5. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
  6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I really hate that last one, and it's really common, and it's really the worst of worsts.
    We don't know the story of Phasma's armor, though, and for what it's worth it doesn't exactly look like she's swimming in it.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure. And the person who made that comment replied with that concern as his defense, which made the person operating the SW account take pause.

However, I think SW was correct in the first place. When you say "not to sound sexist" and then end with "to me," it's pretty transparent what you mean. Trying to backpedal is transparent.

There's a wide gulf between "armor that fits a woman properly" and "armor that makes it easy to tell this is a woman."

People who saw the armor at D23 reported it was designed with a woman in mind.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Exactly - the need to be able to tell it's a woman underneath the armor is sexist in and of itself.

He didn't say, for example, "Is there stormtrooper armor fitted for female soldiers or is she wearing standard issue male armor? Wouldn't the latter be dangerous?" He said, "This armor doesn't have boobs."

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember being in a museum in London and seeing Henry VIII's armor, with blatant custom-fitting for the genital area. "Hello, I am King Henry and I have a very large penis."

It was obviously abnormal and got to be a joke. "He thought a bloody lot of himself, didn't he?"

But women are SUPPOSED TO wear armor that screams "I have breasts!"? It's abnormal...not to do that?

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FWIW Andi herself didn't think it was a malicious comment and feels bad now that that went viral. OTOH, though it seems to be gone now, in the original responses I'm pretty sure it was someone else who mentioned the thing about armor actually being designed differently. The only follow-up response I saw by the original guy was, roughly, "shut up, I said I wasn't being sexist!"

I'm not joking; that's almost literally what he said.

11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Of course. Can you imagine a woman wearing what Metroid the bounty hunter does? Lol.

[​IMG]

Hm.

Now I want a Phasma Metroidvania game. "Phasmetroidvania"?

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, and it's not like we haven't seen Gwendolyn Christie in sexy ladyarmor before, I mean.

[​IMG]

Ridiculous.

13. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    I agree that whatever the thought process or intent, at the very least Mr. Paul stuck his foot in his mouth.

Thanks for responding, I understand what you are saying. Mostly I was speaking from experience, from a girl that wants to do all the hiking and fishing that her Dad does, and then going together through the chore to find comfortable clothes, boots, and raingear. Sometimes we would find the women and girls sizes(usually the local stores didn't have them) and sometimes I had to suck it up, like with the wool jackets and raingear, and try on the mens until I found the one that fit well enough. Sometimes the difference is subtle, but its there. And in the end one needs a tailor if you want something to fit perfect.

Cool!

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Barriss_Coffee and CooperTFN like this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I maintain that Sabine was looking at one from far away and didn't notice the snout.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How many Bothans died to bring us this information?

17. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Ugh they chose the boring one.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Not nearly enough?

ATimson likes this.
  19. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    So a hairy human with big ears?

Abadacus likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait, wait, wait. Does Sabine say "this is a sketch of an individual of the bothan species", specifically, or simply "this is a sketch of a bothan"? There is a difference. [face_mischief]

21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Now this is what I call a bothan.
    [​IMG]
    Alright, the lightsaber and the badass armor are optional...

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The sketch doesn't say anything at all. Here's what happened:

LelalMekha asked Dan Wallace on Twitter if that's what it was supposed to be. He said he didn't specify anything about it in the script. Annie Stoll chimed in to say that she did indeed put a Bothan in voluntarily because she likes them too, and SG allowed it. So it's not explicitly a Bothan in the text (I guess), but the intention was confirmed.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    So an as of yet unidentified alien based on the EU bothans. Gotcha. :-B

I WIN AGAIN, LEWS THERIN.

Vthuil likes this.
  24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    BUT WOOKIEEPEDIA

Iron_lord, Vthuil and Ulicus like this.