main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Gina Rodriguez is one of the actors being considered for a role in Episode VIII that may be a romantic interest for Finn, considering they're apparently doing auditions along with him to see their chemistry. This is the movie Benicio del Toro is also going to be in so ¡wepa!

[​IMG]

I am for this.

2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't watch that show but sure, why not.

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002

[​IMG]

Why not indeed

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I hear good things.

5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
  6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Was just coming here to post that. :p

Alas, I don't want to read it yet--but I did see which character it is, and I'm so down with this.

7. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    I'm listening to the new EU novels on audiobook now. I recently finished A New Dawn (ho hum) and am now in the middle of Tarkin, which I am enjoying. I'm looking forward to all of the adult novels but am really looking forward to Aftermath. I already was anyways, but it's extra exciting to hear about the gay character. I feel like I've been waiting for this - a gay hero in Star Wars - my whole life.

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think there are now as many or more (depending on how you interpret Sarn Shild) gay characters in the new canon thus far as there were in the entirety of Legends up to TOR's post-launch content.

9. Aphra

Aphra Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I can't read Aftermath until Sunday but oh man not only is that one character gay but another character has a gay relative (who has a gay spouse)... this book is basically the gayest Star Wars book ever written.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Aftermath is gayer than the entire EU put together.

Iron_lord, Ghost, Kablob and 3 others like this.
  11. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    Well, yes, but that's not exactly a high bar to clear. We've had, what, two novels with gays in them before (Lords of the Sith and one of Traviss's)?

It'll be years before they catch up with the xenophilic novels thanks to Corran. [face_alien]

Endor_boy likes this.
  12. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I only skimmed Aftermath in an hour, but based on Wendig's interviews, I expected him to be incredibly precious about diversity, so I'm pleasantly surprised that he's not. He's really pulling it off in a grown-up way, realistic to the universe.

To be clear, it's not that I wouldn't be happy with a pronounced portrayal -- it's just that a book like this is going to reach some kids who grew up homophobic, franchise being as universal as it is, so it achieves its maximum potential for infiltrating their consciousness in a positive way if it's handled pretty much exactly how he's handling it. I kind of loathe his "doing it for the kids" attitude otherwise, but this is one area where it works.

13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    It is apparently back. [face_plain] Also “Lady” Beck there is an impressively racist and "bitchy" person in general, though nothing new for the Empire.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ARGH. I hope that can be chalked up somehow to whoever's POV the third person narration is focusing on.

Gorefiend likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Haven't read that one yet but it sounds to me like it's her POV---which is easy to chalk up to a "man I'm awesome" attitude.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    That sounds like a factual statement - "Very few of those holding high ranks in the Empire" would just be a matter of counting.

And the way that Storygroup supposedly operates, we wouldn't see something like that get through unless they agreed with it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    There's a Sithload of female Imperials in Aftermath (including another high-ranking officer besides RAE SLOANE), FWIW.

18. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    CooperTFN likes this.
  19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, wow. First I've even heard that was a theory.

Iron_lord and skygawker like this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    There's also a female Moff in the Lando comic (with some "impressive" nicknames). There's Maketh Tua in Rebels and apparently Governor Pryce (her as of yet unseen boss) is also female. Moff Mors, etc. So they're gradually chipping away at the whole "the Empire was virulently misogynistic" thing (which never made much sense to being with imo).

Also can we get a novel, or maybe a comic book mini, centered around Rae Sloane? Pretty please? She seems really interesting.

21. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I thought there were some not-so-subtle hints in the Last of the Jedi books with regards to Ferus's relationship with Roan Lands.

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Huh. Never thought I'd hear that explicitly confirmed, but it doesn't totally surprise me either.

23. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    YA character, right? After checking Google images, yeah, he's looks pretty gay, and just plain pretty. [face_love] I love his hair. Re: Watson's intentions, its funny-not-actually-funny that she's speaking up, after Aftermath is released. Comes off as a Rowling copycat. Well...I welcome this revelation.
    Are these books enjoyable by an older audience? Bcs I would love to read abt a male Force user that prefers a good laser-sword fight, if you take my meaning. Padme was always an impediment to the true OTP of Star Wars!

24. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm not sure "theory" is quite the right word for it. Widespread automatic assumption, perhaps? :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  25. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I liked them well enough.