Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    You're not the only one.
    Last edited by TrakNar, Nov 26, 2012
    Zorrixor likes this.
  2. Esg Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If you played the Republic Trooper on TOR on Balmorra you would get my drift
  3. Skaddix Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  4. RC-1991 Force Ghost

star 4
    I heard the ending to that show was dissatisfying.
  5. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    Dammit. I lost the Game.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Community and Lit moderator person

Manager
    star 10
    I'm sure if you practice you'll do better next time.
  7. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    So, with the new Legacy, things look promising on the diversity front; female character centre-stage on the initial picture there, Mon Cal character, and the male human character is non-white also.:)
    Contessa and Ghost like this.
  8. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    Yeah, between this and Knight Errant, DH has been pretty impressive in committing to female protagonists. I wouldn't be so sure that the man in the background isn't just a tanned white guy, though (in fact, I'm putting my money on his being a Fel).
  9. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
    He looks Asian though. Could still be a Fel, but not Emperor Fel II, unless Jag has been Asian this whole time.
  10. Havac Some Guy Who Moderates Lit

Manager
    star 7
    I suppose I can see how you could come to that conclusion, but the combination of the fact that the girl has a pretty good shot of being a Fel and the fact that the guy looks like Soontir Fel leads me to think otherwise.

[IMG] [IMG]

I would love for Star Wars to finally get a proper Toshiro Mifune character, though.
  11. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've always thought it'd be interesting if one of the Infinities comics had gone with a Mifune Kenobi, just for fun.
  12. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Somehow I had to think Organa, but that might just be me

[IMG][IMG]
  13. CeiranHarmony Force Ghost

star 5
    Bail Organa lived a double life as Soontir Fel? Ha... so that is why he survived TFU and the Emperor kept him going!
  14. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    Bail was the first thing that came into my head when I saw that face yesterday too.
  15. jedimaster203 Force Ghost

star 4
    Comics, in general, seem to be including more female leads. This is not a bad thing, but I hope they're not doing it soley for the sake of having female leads. The story has to fit the character.

I really am excited about new legacy though.
  16. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    Strangely, it seldom seems to come up as a question of "does the story fit the character" for a male main character...
  17. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    As opposed to?
  18. Rilwen_Shadowflame Force Ghost

star 6
    Don't you know this one? The Fictional Character Guild is 99% male, and every female lead chosen for a story puts a male lead out of work. They'll starve, the poor fellows, if female leads are chosen too often!
  19. Gorefiend Chosen One

star 5
    Hutts! As all them would be both none white male and female leads, whilst also being Aliens, netting an easy 300% diversity per character :p
    Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  20. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    But I don't want to see frivolous Hutt lead characters. The story has to be crying out for Hutts--like, from the ether or something.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Dec 4, 2012
    Contessa likes this.
  21. Zorrixor Chosen One

star 6
    But isn't every story crying out for Hutts?

I mean, how can you go wrong with Hutts? They're Hutts. [IMG]
    Last edited by Zorrixor, Dec 4, 2012
    Ris_jSarek likes this.
  22. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    In all seriousness, @203, I want to engage that line of reasoning a little.

Let's look at Kerra Holt--despite the whole "Lone Female Jedi" tease, we have no idea, I don't think, whether the impetus for KE to center on a woman came from JJM or DH. And even if it definitely came from JJM, we can't really say whether his original notion of the story demanded that it be a female character, or if he decided to make her that way further along the line. But ultimately, does any of that really matter? Does any of it retroactively enhance or reduce Kerra's strength as a character?

The scenario you seem to be wary of is one in which some editorial mandate wrenches a male character out of the author's hands and staples a vagina onto him without any further thought given to how that changes everything else about the story. But no one wants that. In fact, I think it's self-evident that no one wants that, because then all you're really saying is that you don't want bad characters.

You've given me no reason to think you're philosophically opposed to strong gender diversity in SW, but when the "story fits the character" concern, as Rilwen said, only comes up with female characters, it comes across as a double-standard that I don't think you really believe in.
    Last edited by CooperTFN, Dec 4, 2012
  23. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Well, based on the cover, we can assume a pretty good diversity score for the new Legacy. :p

Human male of non-white origins? Check.
    Human female lead character? Check.
    Mon Cal lead Character? Check.

I can't wait for this to start. I will commit to keeping a running tally on the score as each issue comes out. Hold me to it, @CooperTFN

--Adm. Nick
    Last edited by AdmiralNick22, Dec 4, 2012
  24. Likewater Force Ghost

star 4
    Is the cover indicatative of the content?
  25. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    My idea is that if they include more female leads, eventually people will get used to writing female characters. Because more often than not I find myself completely disinterested or annoyed at gals in sci-fi, mostly because they fall into a few basic stereotypes (y'know... "butch woman," "innocent love interest," "know-it-all b****").