main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well since we are currently promoting comics here ;) I recommend everyone who even remotely likes fantasy pick up Rat Queens by Image Comics.
    https://imagecomics.com/comics/series/rat-queens
    It is foul mouthed, crude, has brilliant characters, interesting plots, high adventure and is girl power to the max.

Darth_Garak likes this.
  2. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Oh I definetly second that. It's an awesome comic. Great characters and great humor as well.

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I am contemplating a gamble on the Rat Queens OHC that's out in a month or two and there's always the bonus of Sejic art.

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I actually like his art a lot more then Upchurch's and not just for the reason he was kicked from the project.

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm a big fan of the Sejics.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently the comments got locked down. I didn't see any. Unless it's because I went through the app.

I can imagine quite a lot though. :p

"The horror has begun. Back in the days when America was great, the WOMEN made the soup. And fed it to the kid. While the men--REAL MEN who did not do pansy-ass things like open soup cans and feed toddlers--shouted I AM YOUR FATHER in a DEEP MASCULINE voice just before swallowing down another well-earned American beer. And there was none of this arguing over who REALLY was the father because back then, we knew that REAL MEN love WOMEN. I'll buy my canned soup from a company that does not engage in feminazi PC-police crap, and knows both the definition of a father and which parent is supposed to make the soup."

...only I spell better than bigoted YouTubers so the comments would not be that coherent.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, that was far too articulate to be a YouTube comment.

Vthuil and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ..really should finish reading that second trade I have. I'm so behind.

Not reading the preview b/c maybe spoilers?

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, I suppose you could class it as spoilers, but on the other hand, it's just such a damn sweetly perfect sequence of pages.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, it's a huge spoiler.

11. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My gf has read the first two trades of Ms. Marvel and absolutely loves the series.

I must admit, they are pretty good, even if they involve the Inhumans, which I despise.

12. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Since we're talking video games, did the MMO ever get romancable same sex companions? I heard something about their last update was going to but then I never heard anything about it. I pretty much swore I wouldn't play until they made that right.
    And now everybody's talking about Battlefield which I know nothing about. They give you a new random character every level? And you switch sides every level? Switching from Empire to Rebellion sounds like a fun idea, but is there any kind of storytelling and character development or is it just a shoot 'em up? I'd prefer a character I can personalize and develop over time.
    But yay for female stormtroopers. Shouldn't the armor be fitted differently for women though? Not sexualized, but I'd think armor designed for a man wouldn't fit most women properly.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but only in the post-game expansions. They didn't go back and change the main game romances.

It is PURELY a shoot 'em up with different modes of shooting things up. However, the random character thing is only for the demo. In the real game, you can customize your character's gender, appearance, and (for Rebels) species. :)

No storyline at all.

That, I couldn't tell you. But the EGTW seemed to suggest not! The female rebels do have different looking gear, but I think it's possible that the plated stuff like stormie armor can be internally fitted without looking externally all that different.

Mia Mesharad and Endor_boy like this.
  14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The first time I played it made me a black guy, and I kinda think the actual game should just randomize you so everyone has to play every race, species, and gender.

Mia Mesharad, Revanfan1 and Vthuil like this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Does each race have any specific benefits or weaknesses? I mean, a Rebel Wookiee solider would have certain distinct advantages over the Rebel human or Rebel Mon Cal.

Do we have a list of species you can play as yet?

--Adm. Nick

Abadacus likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The Body Glove they wear below it should take care of most „shape problems“ whilst in the case of Stormtroopers as the EGW mentions they still have to pass all the same training and physical tests that their male counterparts have to, so they should be just as though and strong. Whilst Armor weight will not be all that much of a factor as Stormtrooper armour is not all that heavy and is easily compared to modern battle armour here on earth, which is also worn by female soldiers.

Abadacus likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    So I'm at work the NYCC marvel comics panel, and Axel Alonso just brilliantly shut down a fan over a perceived lack of diversity in Marvel comics.

He stressed that they are always trying to reflect real life diversity, citing both the main characters and Marvel writers who are racially, ethnically, and sexually diverse.

Sent from my brain using magic

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Oh I'd argue that Marvel comics still struggle quite a bit with the "sexually diverse" thing, actually DC has that same problem.

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Mind you they are also struggling with having interesting comics ;)

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I've seen interpretations of that exchange go both ways, so I'm interested to get audio at some point.

21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Which makes sense, if you want an army of identical, faceless enforcers.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is a post-game expansion? That makes it sound like it's something after the game. I'm guessing it's a new expansion.
    Can anyone tell me about the same sex romances available in the game? Are these characters companions that will be an ongoing part of the game as opposed to the old set up where the gays were all confined to one planet? I seem to recall hearing they were going to let new players join the game at a higher level with the new expansion some time back.
    I've really felt like the MMO offered me pretty limited options to play a character that reflects me as a gay man. If I wanted to have a romance with a companion that will drive storytelling I have to play as straight. If I want to play gay, then I don't get much in the way of story. It's been really frustrating.
    At least Battlefield sounds like it's a fairly equal situation for everybody, although I'd rather there be a storyline.

23. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Is the lack of diversity just perceived though? Marvel seems to be improving, but there's no gay characters leading a solo book, the gays are confined to team books only. I'd be curious as to what was said and how/why the shut down was brilliant. That doesn't sound so nice as I think there is still a valid point that there's room for improvement with their gay characters. It does seem like their diversity will be improving post Secret Wars, but still. I don't know that the issue deserves a shut down when there's no gay heroes in a solo book.
    Also, there was the whole debacle recently of their announcement that Hercules in his new solo book would be exclusively straight, despite the real mythological Hercules being very bisexual and the comics in recent years have had references to Herc being bi in 616 not just the AU version.

24. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Really, there's no need to romance anyone in the game and you can still get plenty out of it. There's plenty that are just... not that interesting. But I understand the frustration.

Starting with content released as part of Rise of the Hutt Cartel expansion (levels 50-55), gay characters began appearing. Makeb had some minor same-sex flirt&kiss options and a few other side missions did as well (for example some of the "contacts" during bounty contract week can be flirted with regardless of gender but it's completely irrelevant to story).

Shadow of Revan (levels 55-60) had two bisexual options for mini-romances: Theron Shan and Lana Beniko. However, they're not companions but story NPCs. I enjoyed them both quite a bit, but there is no difference if you go after them as a man or woman - your class makes way more difference.

But in like... two weeks, there's a new story expansion (levels 60-65) and Lana is definitely a companion, and there are rumours Theron is. I'd bet on them having continued romance plotlines, but check back once KotFE launches.

You can buy(?) a token or something to start a character at 60 for KotFE but honestly if you're interested in the Theron or Lana romances, meeting them in SoR is worth it. Also, the expansion is limited to subs, but if you sub you get the 2 previous expansions too, and base game levelling is ridiculously fast now so... yep.

/slinks back to the SWTOR thread

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

Endor_boy likes this.
  25. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Thanks Rebecca! I had heard something about that ages ago with the new story expansion. I get that you can play without the romance, but that does add something. Whether people like it or not, romance has always been part of Star Wars.

Rebecca_Daniels likes this.