main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Oh definitely, it's just not necessarily the strongest feature of some of the classes. I've been forgoing a lot of them lately in favour of Theron or Lana postgame. I'd still love them to redo the basegame with same-sex options but at this point it's not going to happen. My 2+ years of wanting to be able to romance Mako as a female bounty hunter will have to be put aside...

Sent from my X-wing via R2-J6

Endor_boy likes this.
  2. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    I would like to add that subs will also get free level 60 character slot.

Endor_boy and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So, just like non-yankee heroes then. #EuropeHaveSupers, #AsiaHaveSupers, #SouthAmericaHaveSupers, #TheRestOfNorthAmericaHaveSupers, #IslandCountriesHaveSupers, #NonYankeeSupersAreCharactersTo

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/boycott-star-wars-vii-movement-833102

Don't click on the Twitter page links. They're like Youtube comment hell. Beyond the quotes mentioned in the article ("#BoycottStarWarsVII because it's nothing more than a social justice propaganda piece that alienates it's core audience of young white males."), glancing through the Twitterfolk comments gives a seriously disturbing view of how some people... are really out of tune with how the world is. Like, beyond Star Wars. It's like they think most of the world is white people or something and there's no legitimate reason for a black guy to star in major sci-fi/fantasy film. I mean on this site we talk about these sorts of folks, but it's still jarring to see them Tweeting in the digital flesh.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh dear

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    http://www.vox.com/2015/10/19/9571309/star-wars-boycott

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Today's top story: idiots exist. Film at 11.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes, because it's not like the film has new White characters as well. Well except for Kylo Ren, oh and General Hux, oh and whoever Max von Sydow is playing. And for that matter, I'm pretty sure that Daisy Ridley and Gwendoline Christie are both White, and they're bringing back Luke, Han, and Leia as well. Actually, they're are still more White human characters in this movie than not. It's almost like it's a reasonably multi-racial/ethnic/species cast or something, what a shocking concept (if your mind is still stuck back in the 1950's or something).

Jedi Ben likes this.
  10. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This makes me so deeply sad.

I had a whole paragraph written here, but I deleted it.

I was really happy. And now I'm sad.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    It's a bull**** movement. It was started by like three people and it's being propagated by people freaking out over it.

12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Well I don't think it's wrong to voice an opinion against something like this...

Mia Mesharad and Jedi Ben like this.
  13. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    What I am disappointed about is the terrible attitude from Star Wars fans over the last few days towards football. I was appalled to read so much vitriol and disdain towards the sport over something that was made only to reach a wider audience. For a community in the midst of a very positive shift towards inclusion, it was too much of a negative stereotypical behavior. As a fan of both, I'm heartbroken =((

Kylun likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have been far more upset if the terrible attitude had come when the Panthers were playing. O:)

15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I haven't seen anything that passed from light-hearted grumbling to genuine anger. It's fun to joke about the disparities between the SW and football audiences--and yes, they are different audiences, that's why they put the trailer there--as long as it doesn't pass into gatekeeping or mocking fans who are actually into the game.

Kylun, BobaMatt and DelRiego like this.
  16. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I posted on Twitter that the Venn diagram of Star Wars fans and football fans has to be really skinny in the middle, but it also speaks to the reach and power of Disney that they would put the first really general promotion for the film out where an audience of 10 million+ would see it. They knew that the hardcore Star Wars fans would wind up watching it online anyway, since that's how they released the first two teasers initially. They just wanted to cast a wider net this time around.

Also, last night's game was terrible even from an football fan's perspective.

Kylun and CooperTFN like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "There is a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million nerds had to watch a football game for the first time in their lives."

18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Hey, I watch the Super Bowl! Kind of!

19. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
  20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The whole thing strikes me as especially ludicrous given that the trailer was available online only a short time later.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Given the popularity of both SW and football (at least in the states), I don't think the middle of the diagram would be skinny at all. Maybe from a "hardcore fan" perspective (both sides), but among the average run-of-the-mill fans there's a lot of overlap.

Gamiel likes this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Like me. I love SW, and love Football.

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    That was excellent, thanks for the link.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This is one of those really irritating things:
    • Ignore them and they'll keep on spewing the crap concluding they have the OK to do so because you're ignoring them.
    • Speak out against them and that also works as a screwed ip form of validation for their messed-up conspiracy theories.
    Thing is, I know option 1 doesn't work with bullying bastards - does going postal on them work instead? Well, part of me says I should have done that to someone at school!

25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think my issue with option 2 is that it's more for the person speaking out than for the ones they're condemning. People want to feel like they're helping, and one condemnation by itself is a perfectly good and just thing. But per that Vox piece I linked, the internet kind of changes that equation when there's thousands of condemnations for every one jackass.

This is why I'm kind of over Wendig posting his homophobic reviews on Twitter. The first week or two? Sure, it's good fun, it's calling attention to a problem, and he worked hard on his book and deserves to get it out of his system. But over a month later? What's that helping?

DarkEagle and Trip like this.