main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    If people wanted to complain about the female leads, a valid complain might be "they're all brunettes -- what about other types of female leads?"

Though personally I'm happy to see attention given to the role of an older woman like Mothma.

In any event, accusations that Felicity Jones looks too much like a teenager and can't be taken seriously reveal more about the speaker than the subject of the speech.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well I don't think it reveals much about anything other than an inability to gauge age. :p

Ah.

haha.

Gauge age.

3. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah there is no set "bad***" body type. Those come in all shapes and sizes. Heck a bit chunk of Tom Cruise's career has been as an action star, yet he doesn't immediately strike one as such physically, nor Matt Damon (Jason Bourne himself), or even Mark Hamill, etc. And yes, Daisy Ridley or Carrie Fisher as well fit into this.

I knew a woman in college who didn't look physically imposing at all, and yet she was one of the toughest people that I've ever met and could take down people twice her size (she was also a skilled Kendo practitioner as well BTW).

Contessa and Jedi Ben like this.
  4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Exactly what I was thinking--if you look at Felicity Jones and have trouble taking her seriously in this role, I don't deny that that's an authentic response on your part, but it's something you should probably examine more closely. And it's certainly not the filmmakers' problem.

Mia Mesharad and Contessa like this.
  5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I have. It's very impressive.

Contessa likes this.
  6. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    In Daisy/Rey's case her not looking like an archetypal warrior woman/soldier is more than excused by the fact she's a space wizard, anyway.

And, in Jones' . . . I think she passes as a citizen of the galactic underbelly or whatever she is just fine.
    SHE'S TOTES LUMIYA ANYWAY, GUYZ.

Would I like to see more women in starring roles who could also pass for MMA fighters? For sure. I don't think they're literally the only people who can ever measure up, though.

Of course I raised myself on Buffy so.....

[​IMG]

Mia Mesharad, Kylun, Jedi Ben and 2 others like this.
  7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, there's kind of two things here--saying her stature is unsuited to an action star, which I still disagree with but there's at least an argument to be made there depending on the role--see Gal Gadot. But it's another to say she looks like a teenager. Felicity Jones may be the Rebel of my particular dreams, but this is not the face of a teenager.

[​IMG]

8. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Also, some women just look young no matter what. I looked like a teenager until I was in my mid 20s. Now I'm 35 and most people think I'm in my 20s.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015

The Walking Dead informs about 90% of what I find to be bad*** these days, and Felicity looks like she'd fit into that role just fine. I find that bad***ery is much less about how you look and more about what you've experienced. For example, Carol on TWD doesn't look like she could destroy you, but she will.

If Jennifer Lawrence can carry a film as a brutal warrior (and she does), I don't see why Felicity couldn't. I prefer the stills where she looks a little grimy. That helps for some reason.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Not just women--if I shaved I'd pass for 24.

Revanfan1 and JediMara77 like this.
  11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I'm 25, male, and have a goatee/mustache/and glasses, and yet I still get carded in bars frequently. And no, Felicity doesn't look like a teenager. Does she look younger than she really is (32), yeah I think so. But if you had asked me, knowing nothing about her and just showing me that image, how old that I thought she was, then I'd probably guess late 20's or so.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I thought you were Duros.

13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    How old do Duros need to be to order a beer? :p

14. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I don't know, but there's one bartender in Chalmun's cantina to card them with.

Havac , Mia Mesharad, jSarek and 7 others like this.
  15. The Weird Side

The Weird Side Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 7, 2014
    First of all the only problem I have with Daisy Ridley's Rey is her accent, which is odd given she spent the majority of her life away from the high society that accent comes from(that is so in the GFFA). I have no problem with her look as it seems fine given she is essentially a female Luke - who was also not very physically intimidating.

We can talk all day about how we shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but other than Yoda and a few others most people physically fit their archetype in SW. Han and Luke definitely do as do most of the baddies. This is the first female character that isn't a politician or backwater outcast, but coming from a bad background that requires her to be very tough. I would have liked her to be archetypal instead of being basically another skinny brunette, which is the physical description of all the other 3 female leads we have had.

I will give to you all that she looks older in that picture. I was watching the trailer in low quality so its hard to see subtleties.

Also Felicity Jones doesn't, at least to me, give off the air of what she is supposed to be. Now this doesn't necessarily have to do with physical description. Take Donnie Yen and a fellow martial artist Jackie Chan. The former looks far more intimidating than the latter(to me at least), yet they are both average height slim east asian dudes. I'm glad someone brought up Jennifer Lawrence in THG. I think she looks and gives of the air of exactly the kind of character Katniss is supposed to be( movie wise that is I know in the book she is supposed to be half-asian). My opinion may change on F. Jones after seeing the movie since this is just a trailer.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on how things could be a bit different than having another cookie-cutter design. Apparently, this makes me actually a secret bigot or something.

16. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    What do you mean by "archetypal" exactly? All we know about her is that she's been on her own for awhile and is involved in some shady stuff. There is no one "set look" for that. Also besides that incredibly brief and vague description, we still don't know what exactly her character is meant to be, so all of this is premature.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm really not sure how you can come to the conclusion that she doesn't fit the role after a less than two minute teaser with a brief voiceover, especially when you tell us that you saw a blurry version of the trailer and couldn't make her out too well.

I don't know about "secret bigot" or anything -- just not sure how you have all this certainty. That's the secret I'm hoping you'll share with us.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

18. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would love to see a female lead that looked like she come from the Indian subcontinent.
    We really don't know if English-English accent is high society in GFFA, in the OEU English-English accent was said to be core accent but that don't really make it high society in practise since there were many core worlds that were not some kind of high society world.

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Rey's English accent even though she grew up on Jakku and probably didn't hang around with a lot of Core Worlders is something that one could scratch their head at, but as far as my list of nitpicks go it's about at the same level as Luke not having a tan after nineteen years on Tatooine. ie, it's a movie and who cares.

Kylun, Gamiel and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Well, Unkar Plutt has an accent, so it's likely she picked it up from him, I'd guess.

Mia Mesharad and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's also possible she's a dork who had holo movies or something in her Y-wing computer thing and wanted to sound like those people

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Aphra, Mia Mesharad, Kylun and 5 others like this.
  23. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    It's coz she's a clone of a core worlder and accents are genetic.

24. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Or she picked it up from others, since Jakku seems like one of those planets where lots of different people/races pass through on their way to other places. Didn't one of the supplemental things say that she learned it from a flight simulator or something?

And yeah it's hard to tell much about Jyn's character right now from this teaser because it's less than two minutes long and 2/3 of that is just a montage of action scenes without the characters being elaborated on or even speaking.

Mia Mesharad and Gamiel like this.
  25. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    It's what we've always done. As I recall, we hated half of the Legacy of the Force books as soon as their covers were released.

Stymi likes this.